T.J. Yeldon

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I have that question about most of the RBs in this draft. I think people are underrating the RBs currently on the roster.

I have Mike Davis as top 5 RB in this draft. His only issue is limited top speed. His 10 yard time is right there with guys like Gordon.

His style and physical build reminds me of Emmitt.

He doesn't have the vision, balance or spin move of Emmitt but he does have the build and the legs. He ran 4.4ish at his pro day. I generally add .1sec to that to get it closer to an official time but I've seen him run a lot and he's got enough speed to turn the corner and not get caught from behind.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesn't have the vision, balance or spin move of Emmitt but he does have the build and the legs. He ran 4.4ish at his pro day. I generally add .1sec to that to get it closer to an official time but I've seen him run a lot and he's got enough speed to turn the corner and not get caught from behind.

Very few RBs that ever lived have the same vision and balance of Emmitt.

Davis has better balance than most of the RBs is this draft.

What I really like is his vision and feel for finding hidden yardage. Their OL didn't always create space but he tended to find yards when it looked like there was nothing there.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
Davis is one of my favorite backs in this draft. I'd rather him in the 3rd than the Ajayi/Coleman/Duke/Abdullah group in the 2nd.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think we get a really good back no matter where we decide to take one. I think they will be looking at value. A lot of people really get carried away with break away speed which is nice if you can get it. But if you get 10 yards they give you 4 new downs. That is how you control the clock, the game, and wear a defense out mentally and physically.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Very few RBs that ever lived have the same vision and balance of Emmitt.

Davis has better balance than most of the RBs is this draft.

What I really like is his vision and feel for finding hidden yardage. Their OL didn't always create space but he tended to find yards when it looked like there was nothing there.

It's true I've never seen a RB with the vision and esp the balance of E Smith. I don't think Davis stands out that much but I see him as a top ten RB in a draft rich in very good RBs. He might be as high as 5 but no lower than ten. And he has some power, gets low, has good vision, better balance and seems to find the lanes and cutbacks. He can break tackles, has some miss'em, avg quicks, very good yd after tackle, good interior runs, and good breakaway and home run ability. Great ball protection.

I really like this back and he can be a work horse. Good RB running to daylight in a ZBS who can slash and one cut.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's true I've never seen a RB with the vision and esp the balance of E Smith. I don't think Davis stands out that much but I see him as a top ten RB in a draft rich in very good RBs. He might be as high as 5 but no lower than ten. And he has some power, gets low, has good vision, better balance and seems to find the lanes and cutbacks. He can break tackles, has some miss'em, avg quicks, very good yd after tackle, good interior runs, and good breakaway and home run ability. Great ball protection.

I really like this back and he can be a work horse. Good RB running to daylight in a ZBS who can slash and one cut.

The closest thing I've ever seen to Emmitt Smith coming out of college was Mark Ingram.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I also like that he has a much different style than McFadden; whereas I see guys like Gordon and Tevin Coleman as similar to McFadden.

Reaction score
I've completely changed my mind on this player.

He's not going to have the electric highlight reel runs like Gordon has but his overall game is better.

People say Gordon is a strong runner but he looks weak between the tackles to me.

Put on any game with Yeldon and he falls forward after contact and is excellent in traffic.

This is exactly what I see and why I believe Yeldon is a better pro prospect, especially with our OL, than guys like Coleman, Duke Johnson, perhaps even Gordon. There are not breakaway lanes very often in the NFL and you need to grind out 5 yarders, not always try to hit home runs. I dont see the physicality in Coleman's, Johnson's, or Gordon's film that translates into a pro runner.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I also like that he has a much different style than McFadden; whereas I see guys like Gordon and Tevin Coleman as similar to McFadden.

I agree. He's got the right build for a HD back. I like those 5-8 and 5-9 RBs with big legs.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The closest thing I've ever seen to Emmitt Smith coming out of college was Mark Ingram.

I'd have to think about it. IDK if I follow all the RBs closely enough to have an opinion about that. I'll defer to you.

Reaction score
I think we get a really good back no matter where we decide to take one. I think they will be looking at value. A lot of people really get carried away with break away speed which is nice if you can get it. But if you get 10 yards they give you 4 new downs. That is how you control the clock, the game, and wear a defense out mentally and physically.

Yes. And the biggest component of value is fit. Like you say, we need physical runners who are one-cut, north-south types, not cutback runners. I rank the best "one-cut" runners in this draft as:

Gurley
Yeldon
Ajayi (bounces outside too much or would be higher)
Buck Allen
Mike Davis
David Cobb
*David Johnson (just not sure because of level of competition)

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Yes. And the biggest component of value is fit. Like you say, we need physical runners who are one-cut, north-south types, not cutback runners. I rank the best "one-cut" runners in this draft as:

Gurley
Yeldon
Ajayi (bounces outside too much or would be higher)
Buck Allen
Mike Davis
David Cobb
*David Johnson (just not sure because of level of competition)

I wouldn't worry too much about Ajayi bouncing out too much. It was an option for him at the college level but it won't take him long to discard it at the NFL level. I am trying real hard not to get dead set on a back because there too many good ones and I have no idea what they are looking for. They have brought in a lot of backs so we know they are looking, but at which pick is the big guess. I think they are just doing their homework so it will leave their options open. If I could get one of those backs off your list as late as the 3rd and draft two defensive starters in the 1st and 2nd round then I would be thrilled. I guess it depends on how the draft falls.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
..is my RB of choice this draft. Been saying it since November. Draft this guy in the 2nd or 3rd and spend the rest of the drat picks on Defense.

If you talking 4th rounder ok, but this guy has no outstanding traits. Very average vision. But yr right about the Murray comparison. He'll take what line gives him, has some power and can pass block. Murray was slow through the line too and ran upright but at least offered straight line speed. Yielding runs 4.6 and looks it.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Davis is one of my favorite backs in this draft. I'd rather him in the 3rd than the Ajayi/Coleman/Duke/Abdullah group in the 2nd.

None of these is appreciably better than what we already have for the cost of 2nd rounder