T.O. Didn't make the HOF

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So you have no issue with OJ being in the Hall? Seriously?

On football alone, I don't. He was one of the greatest RBs to ever play. The other stuff, which came after, that's another story all together but just Football, he is a HOF for sure IMO.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
On football alone, I don't. He was one of the greatest RBs to ever play. The other stuff, which came after, that's another story all together but just Football, he is a HOF for sure IMO.

OJ was found innocent of double murder so there has been no call to revoke his enshrinement in the HoF. But we all know he did it. HoF honors are not just about what you did on the field. Character matters. Your support for OJ's enshrinement is shameful. It reveals something about your own character too. You deal with that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OJ was found innocent of double murder so there has been no call to revoke his enshrinement in the HoF. But we all know he did it. HoF honors are not just about what you did on the field. Character matters. Your support for OJ's enshrinement is shameful. It reveals something about your own character too. You deal with that.

If that is your opinion, that's OK with me. I feel as if I can deal with your opinion. Seems as if you are the one having trouble dealing with that situation. The question here is not about morality because clearly, there are a lot of players in the Hall that were not great people. What the Hall says and what they do are not always in sink. I don't know these people so I can not comment on what is or is not true. I can simply say that from the on field stuff, he is a HOFer. If that bothers you, I am sorry that you are bothered but it doesn't change my opinion. If that makes me a bad guy, I can live with it. I have broad shoulders.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There are also defensive innovations that he gets credited with.

Still don't see him as a HOF head coach. Too many personal feelings seem to weigh in when voting players and coaches into the HOF. Stabler passed away a few months ago so naturally everyone feels bad and now the committee decides this is the right time to vote him in. He should have been voted in long ago and if he was alive he would probably still be waiting.

TO should have been voted in but is being kept out because he was a team cancer who many don't like. Dungy is well liked and respected and that played a huge part in him being voted in and I don't think it's a coincidence that he and his former WR Harrison are being inducted together.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If that is your opinion, that's OK with me. I feel as if I can deal with your opinion. Seems as if you are the one having trouble dealing with that situation. The question here is not about morality because clearly, there are a lot of players in the Hall that were not great people. What the Hall says and what they do are not always in sink. I don't know these people so I can not comment on what is or is not true. I can simply say that from the on field stuff, he is a HOFer. If that bothers you, I am sorry that you are bothered but it doesn't change my opinion. If that makes me a bad guy, I can live with it. I have broad shoulders.

Its FOOTBALL HOF not a character HOF

Rick Gosselin said it best, "There is more to the Pro Football Hall of Fame than just the numbers." The voting members have not always held up that standard but that doesn't preclude them from doing it in the future. The standard should be held high and include character. There is no rule about once you're in you're in forever. Pro Football Hall of Fame standard is an elite honor that needs to be protected not lowered by the likes of T.O.... or O.J. or L.T.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Still don't see him as a HOF head coach. Too many personal feelings seem to weigh in when voting players and coaches into the HOF. Stabler passed away a few months ago so naturally everyone feels bad and now the committee decides this is the right time to vote him in. He should have been voted in long ago and if he was alive he would probably still be waiting.

TO should have been voted in but is being kept out because he was a team cancer who many don't like. Dungy is well liked and respected and that played a huge part in him being voted in and I don't think it's a coincidence that he and his former WR Harrison are being inducted together.

I generally agree with both of these points of view. I just don't get too overly excited over this stuff because the Hall, as far as I am concerned, has proven to me over the year that they are not fair or free of bias in too many situations. At some point, you have to let that ship sail and just deal with what you can control. At least, that's the way I try to approach it. Sometimes, I do have my moments still. TO is just not one of them. He'll get in eventually.

Craig

Reaction score
He "said it best" because you liked what he said. Everyone understands your position, you can let it go now.

T-RO

Reaction score

your opinion. And a very flawed opinion.

A big part of a being a football player is how you help your team win. T.O. did as much to tear his teams down as he did to build them up. There may never have been as much of a quarterback assassin as Owens. He did everything he could do to destroy Garcia, McNabb and Romo. And his legacy of destroying those guys lasted well after his departure.

And another part of being a football player is the job you do in enhancing the lives of fans and the community. That is, after all, the whole point of the game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rick Gosselin said it best, "There is more to the Pro Football Hall of Fame than just the numbers." The voting members have not always held up that standard but that doesn't preclude them from doing it in the future. The standard should be held high and include character. There is no rule about once you're in you're in forever. Pro Football Hall of Fame standard is an elite honor that needs to be protected not lowered by the likes of T.O.... or O.J. or L.T.

Rick Gosselin is entitled to his opinion and he has a vote. He can vote his conscience if he wants to but that doesn't mean everybody is going to agree with it. That's the great thing about this country. One size, or opinion, in this case, does not have to fit all. I may not always agree with opinions but I am the last guy you will ever find standing up for limiting them. I don't roll that way. Every person has to deal with their own personal decisions when the time comes. The HOF is not the be all, end all of life.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Rick Gosselin is entitled to his opinion and he has a vote. He can vote his conscience if he wants to but that doesn't mean everybody is going to agree with it. That's the great thing about this country. One size, or opinion, in this case, does not have to fit all. I may not always agree with opinions but I am the last guy you will ever find standing up for limiting them. I don't roll that way. Every person has to deal with their own personal decisions when the time comes. The HOF is not the be all, end all of life.

There is a difference between right and wrong and not all opinions are right. You want more opinions and I just want the right one. When it comes to the HoF, it is the pinnacle of a player accomplishment. Few should reach that threshold. T.O. is not there.

Craig

Reaction score
Before i ignore you i will leave you with this: go learn what an opinion is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

A players character is very important they're character can keep them from being drafted and staying in the league. As for OJ had the murders happened before he was inducted into the HOF he would have never been inducted. It's hard for people to separate the person from the football player it's only human nature to look past what a player did on the field especially if it involves a serious crime. It would be virtually impossible for the league to bestow the highest honor on a player who 99% of the population believes brutally murdered 2 people and got away with it.

LT who had some off the field issues but still got in on the first ballot because he was the most dominant defensive player to ever play the game and arguably one of the top 5 greatest players to ever play at any position. Had LT been kept off the first ballot it would have been very obvious the committee was looking past what he did on the field and too much at his discretions off the field.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Before i ignore you i will leave you with this: go learn what an opinion is.

An opinion is what someone thinks... I didn't have to look it up to know this. I pray you do ignore me. Some opinions are still wrong.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Behave, please, everybody. We've got the last game of the season coming up. Let's all keep our posting privs today, ok?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is a difference between right and wrong and not all opinions are right. You want more opinions and I just want the right one. When it comes to the HoF, it is the pinnacle of a player accomplishment. Few should reach that threshold. T.O. is not there.

The Right opinion is subjective. If it's right for you, that's good and I'm for that. However, societies with "One Opinion" are not the ideal way of life IMO. Too many examples of how that works out.

If you don't think he should be in the Hall, that's OK with me but when this all works out, he will be IMO.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
All true and it would be very hard to argue that he was not the Greatest as well. I should have added him to the list of QBs I had not seen that could be considered the greatest as well. My error for sure and thank you for bringing this up. He's on the list!

My prior remark was not directed at you - it was today's WRs vs WRs 25+ years back. MLB is pretty good at comparing players during an era so it's an apples-to-apples comparison for their HoF candidates. This is the Gosselin article I'm refering to > http://cowboyszone.com/threads/dmn-...er-why-i-say-not-so-fast.342555/#post-6550117

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Right opinion is subjective. If it's right for you, that's good and I'm for that. However, societies with "One Opinion" are not the ideal way of life IMO. Too many examples of how that works out.

If you don't think he should be in the Hall, that's OK with me but when this all works out, he will be IMO.

That's your opinion. You know mine. And I am mature enough to leave it at that. BTW, I think you are a great poster, one of my favorite.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My prior remark was not directed at you - it was today's WRs vs WRs 25+ years back. MLB is pretty good at comparing players during an era so it's an apples-to-apples comparison for their HoF candidates.

I may not have been but I read it and I saw where it easily could have been. It was a good point so I hope you do not mind me piggy backing off of it.

You are right, MLB is much better at this kind of discussion.