T.O has a point here regardless of JG success

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It isn't all a big conspiracy. You're just making stuff up that you want to believe and pretending it all actually happened. You.

As I've said many, many times at this point: I don't care how many posters on Cowboys Zone don't like Jason Garrett, or how few do like him. I've been on the right side of mobs making stupid decisions too many times to make up my mind on topics just because agreeing would be the popular thing to do. Mobs are thoughtless, almost by definition. When you look to your left and see torches, and look to your right and see pitchforks, you *ought* to consider whether or not you've thought things through carefully enough. I don't mean 'you' specifically, in this case, Roy. But I mean for people who actually tend to think things through before posting at all.

Here is more. I could do this for hours. All made up stuff by me eh?

Former Cowboys Claim Jason Garrett Sabotaged Wade Phillips ...
https://thelandryhat.com/.../former-cowboys-claim-jason-garrett-sabotaged-wade-phill...
Mar 10, 2014 - Former Dallas Cowboys wide receivers Patrick Crayton and Jesse Holley revealed possible treachery done by current Cowboys head coach ...
Missing: book
Former Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips has bone to pick with ...
www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article148105874.html
May 2, 2017 - Wade Phillips is critical of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett in his new book, Son of Bum: Lessons My Dad Taught Me ...
Wade Phillips throws shade at Cowboys, Jason Garrett on Twitter ...
https://www.cbssports.com/.../wade-phillips-throws-shade-at-cowboys-jason-garrett-on...
Mar 6, 2014 - Wade Phillips pointed out on Twitter that he and Jason Garrett have the same number of games coached for the Cowboys. And that he has ...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It isn't all a big conspiracy. You're just making stuff up that you want to believe and pretending it all actually happened. You.

As I've said many, many times at this point: I don't care how many posters on Cowboys Zone don't like Jason Garrett, or how few do like him. I've been on the right side of mobs making stupid decisions too many times to make up my mind on topics just because agreeing would be the popular thing to do. Mobs are thoughtless, almost by definition. When you look to your left and see torches, and look to your right and see pitchforks, you *ought* to consider whether or not you've thought things through carefully enough. I don't mean 'you' specifically, in this case, Roy. But I mean for people who actually tend to think things through before posting at all.

Here is a whole bunch of stuff about Romo and his distaste for Garrett. Probably the most telling diss of all is when your QB which was supposed to be YOUR guy has issues. Cant get any worse then that. AGAIN, I didnt make up any of it. All there for you to read.

Former Cowboys running back says Tony Romo “was not a Garrett Guy”
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/.../former-dallas-cowboys-running-back-says-tony-...
Apr 19, 2018 - How much of that has to do with Jason Garrett? ... Tanner gave some examples of why he felt that Romo did not fall into that group. .... I don't think JG was a huge fan of the X. Over time, it got better and it got worse and there ...
How Romo and Garrett's relationship fell apart....... - 247Sports
https://247sports.com/nfl/.../How-Romo-and-Garretts-relationship-fell-apart-5455628...
Mar 25, 2017 - “The Cowboys head coach was put in the position of praising a statement he had no idea his quarterback was going to give. The fact that Romo ...
Missing: x
Ex-NFL player says Cowboys will backslide due to Jason Garrett
https://247sports.com/.../Ex-NFL-player-says-Cowboys-will-backslide-due-to-Jason-G...
May 8, 2017 - x. Eric Davis is clearly no fan of Jason Garrett. ... To the credit of Romo, he was consistently better than to the tune of only eight ... "When he got to the playoffs, when it comes down to coaching and X's and O's, what happened?
Dallas Cowboys: Rift between Romo and Garrett can be traced back to ...

Mar 24, 2017 - Human nature dictates that Romo and Garrett put some emotional distance ... He claimed that's not unusual and is typical of most players.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't say with any certainty that JG has no knowledge of offensive schemes but his emphasis on motivating is his obvious niche.

To clarify, one without the other is a bit problematic. JG says the right things to motivate, though it might well fall upon deaf ears by now. There's no question but what he has the FO's full support and the players have no choice but to fall in line with it. We'll see how well that serves us this season. Jerry and son aren't about to oust him without a catastrophic downturn, imho.

The FO is intent upon change right now -- whether that includes firing JG and Linehan at some point remains to be seen. I think this team should do better this year, so I'm not expecting a revamping of our coaching hierarchy anytime soon. I know that won't "float everyone's boat" but that's what I'm sensing about the here and now. If not, there could be a surprise in the offing. We'll see.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
my take......an owner measures success by financial performance. A GM measures success on assembling a winning football program.

Jerry wears both hats. The Cowboys make money hand over fist and have posted two consecutive "winning" seasons. In Jerry's eyes, he probably sees himself a success on both fronts so why make a change.
I have been arguing this for years.....and Jerry the owner wins.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Here is the poll of whether Garrett should be fired. This from Cowboy fans. I had it posted in my signature for 4 or 5 months. Again, didnt make it up. Facts are stubborn things.

Should Jason Garrett be fired?
This poll will close on Jun 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
  1. *
    Yes
    581 vote(s)
    90.4%

2. No
    62 vote(s)
    9.6%

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Is mortgaging the future to save your current coach a wise move?

I'm not against trading for Thomas, but saving Garrett's job wouldn't be on my list of reasons to do it.

Specifically on that 2nd round pick in 2019, would you do it?

I've been against any trade for Thomas and here's why. Thomas made his name playing on the legion of boom, a good tough defense. Where as Thomas isn't ready for retirement, he is starting on the downward side of his career as a top safety at 29. He would not be the first player that made a name for himself on one team and went to another team that didn't have the same surrounding talent and never played up to the name he built up. Now add to this that he is in his contract year and giving anything up for a player that may bolt after the season is not what I think is smart use of draft picks. If the Cowboys were just a safety away from winning it all I might agree to renting Thomas for the year, but the Cowboys aren't just a safety away. Now Thomas could come in and do fine but that's the gamble and if he does good then there's the rub of having all of the younger players like Lawrence, Martin, Prescott, Elliot that they want to extend and then also this older Thomas. Thomas doesn't fit into that getting and keeping younger talent. The other thing is with the top 51 contracts before the draft picks were signed the Cowboys had 9 mil of cap space. Eventually they will have to count their 53an squad, the practice squad and the draft picks and that will bring that 9 mil down to around 6 mil. so even if they traded for Thomas they would have to restructure at least 1 or probably more contracts just for this season's pay and we all know that restructuring contract usually means adding dead money to the cap down the road which only hurts signing players then. So for all of that I've been opposed to trading for Thomas.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been against any trade for Thomas and here's why. Thomas made his name playing on the legion of boom, a good tough defense. Where as Thomas isn't ready for retirement, he is starting on the downward side of his career as a top safety at 29. He would not be the first player that made a name for himself on one team and went to another team that didn't have the same surrounding talent and never played up to the name he built up. Now add to this that he is in his contract year and giving anything up for a player that may bolt after the season is not what I think is smart use of draft picks. If the Cowboys were just a safety away from winning it all I might agree to renting Thomas for the year, but the Cowboys aren't just a safety away. Now Thomas could come in and do fine but that's the gamble and if he does good then there's the rub of having all of the younger players like Lawrence, Martin, Prescott, Elliot that they want to extend and then also this older Thomas. Thomas doesn't fit into that getting and keeping younger talent. The other thing is with the top 51 contracts before the draft picks were signed the Cowboys had 9 mil of cap space. Eventually they will have to count their 53an squad, the practice squad and the draft picks and that will bring that 9 mil down to around 6 mil. so even if they traded for Thomas they would have to restructure at least 1 or probably more contracts just for this season's pay and we all know that restructuring contract usually means adding dead money to the cap down the road which only hurts signing players then. So for all of that I've been opposed to trading for Thomas.

I can certainly see where you're coming from and I can't blame you or anyone else for feeling that way. I can honestly see both sides of the for-against argument.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And as such, his opinions are worthless.
Yep. I didn’t even bother watching it.

This is just to provide support to a narrative against Garrett. Which is fine as long as it’s duly noted.

I’d be more interested what Romo or Witten said.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
8 years with the San Francisco 49ers.
2 years with the Philadelphia Eagles.
1 year each with the Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals.

Can someone tell me why his three years in Dallas seemingly motivates Terrell Owens to talk ALL THE TIME about the Cowboys?
Because any crap on Cowboys sells airtime. And Cowboy haters run with it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Here is a whole bunch of stuff about Romo and his distaste for Garrett. Probably the most telling diss of all is when your QB which was supposed to be YOUR guy has issues. Cant get any worse then that. AGAIN, I didnt make up any of it. All there for you to read.QUOTE]

Because Romo did the class thing in 2016 and publicly said Prescott was the starter doesn't mean that inside he wasn't fuming that he wasn't given the chance to get his job back when his back was healed and started the last 6 games. After he retired that benching was what was behind what he said.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here is the poll of whether Garrett should be fired. This from Cowboy fans. I had it posted in my signature for 4 or 5 months. Again, didnt make it up. Facts are stubborn things.

Should Jason Garrett be fired?
This poll will close on Jun 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM.
  1. *
    Yes
    581 vote(s)
    90.4%

2. No
    62 vote(s)
    9.6%
Firing Garrett doesn’t address the solution in finding another puppet for Jerry.

Part of mgmt is not only taking action but making a better decision.

We can all circle the wagons and Lynch a rope on the tree but that’s not resolving our core issue.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
All of you that want to give T.O. credit for hating on Garrett just remember one time during a after game presser he was in tears talking how Romo was his QB, his guy and then after getting released from the Cowboys he later said that Romo wasn't that good of a QB, that he got way to much credit for the Cowboys successes. In other words you just let what he says go in one ear and out the other one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s all about influencing Jerry to go against his instincts.

What kind of HC is Jerry going to attract that’s going to provide this type of influence over Jethro and Son ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All of you that want to give T.O. credit for hating on Garrett just remember one time during a after game presser he was in tears talking how Romo was his QB, his guy and then after getting released from the Cowboys he later said that Romo wasn't that good of a QB, that he got way to much credit for the Cowboys successes. In other words you just let what he says go in one ear and out the other one.
It’s all about using this current outburst to support their agenda. So obvious!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So you’d listen to TO over any HC that wasn’t HOFamer.

We don’t need anyone to prove to us that Jason Garrett isn’t that great of a coach.

Time has shown us what he is.

Opinions mean nothing at this point. The results are in. He’s not a championship level coach.

Hes had forever in coaching years to do something and he just doesn’t have enough quality as a coach to bring us post season success.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I also find it so funny how so many say Garrett is a puppet like they have sat in on all, make that ANY conversations Garrett and Jones have had. Those that say he's a puppet are making an uninformed guess based on their own dislike for Garrett, certainly not based on any first hand knowledge.

Dre11

Reaction score
What vandetta does 97% of the fan base have against Garrett? Nothing. They just see the obvious. That he needs to get fired.

Throwing out a fake 97%...lol but the whiners and complainers are just as bad as T.O

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s only one way to bring about the change we truly need .

But that will involve a fan protest , financial fallout, empty seats, etc...Or A total collapse like a 1-7 or 3 straight 5-11