Tackles at the Senior Bowl

acer941

Reaction score
41gy#;3821030 said:
OT is clearly a strength of this draft, and when they start coming off the board, they are going to go fast.

Remember when there was so much B.S. about this draft class being the weakest for OT in years.

btcutter

Reaction score
I don't understand the love for Smith.

270 lb Tackle who probably have great feet but too light and too thin. He's going to get tossed like a rag doll in the NFL at least in his 1st two seasons and that may destroy his confidence.

I think he's like Bruce Campbell (sp) like year. Lot of hype. Again my 1st round pick better be ready to start year 1. Not some developmental guy for 2-3 year down the line.

Carimi may have the highest floor just from what I've heard on the interviews. Worse case scenario is he get kicked in and play G like he's done at the senior bowl.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
All this uploaded anonymously

Hard not to be impressed w/ Jordan. These drills are tough for OL but these guys are going balls out
[youtube]rysVEQhNOyI[/youtube]

acer941

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3821347 said:
All this uploaded anonymously

Hard not to be impressed w/ Jordan. These drills are tough for OL but these guys are going balls out
[youtube]rysVEQhNOyI[/youtube]

Is it me or is Nate Solder a BEAST.:laugh1:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Carimi may well be there at 41. He is a run blocking RT at this point. He doesn't look very agile at all. Probably reminds many of Phil Loadholt, the monstrous starting RT for Minny. Played OG some in practice because they had two other OTs.

Solder is very much like Free. He has awesome feet and good technique but can struggle with bull rushes. Isn't the strongest dude just yet.

My favorite OT is Derrek Sherrod so I want to see what he has later today.

Lotsa good players in this draft class and we should get a couple where we draft.

Marktui

Reaction score
CATCH17;3820334 said:
I agree but this team needs defenders so bad that we have to heavily consider that too.

We need a defense and a oline that can impose their will.

Agree!! I think there will be quality tackles in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But the drop off of defenders in the later rounds would be too great to pass up on some of the guys in the first round.

JBS

Reaction score
I dont think this defense is as far away as many seem to think..I think coaching/scheme will upgrade this defense big time..Add in 1 good safety and I think we can easily be a top 10 defense..of course, this is assuming we hang on to spears and bowen..

this teams biggest issue is definitely offensive line..we need 2 new starters on the OL

If we can HIT on 4 new starters...and when I say hit..I mean we have 4 new starters and they all play well...we should be fine

RT
RG
S
DE (this one may not even be necessary..Bowen and Spears might be good enough..)

The Realist

Reaction score
Brewer is made of glass. Missing all of 2007, part of 2008 and 2010.

His last name is too close to Brewster and from the same part of the country as Brewster.

Has Ziemba spent any time at RT in Mobile?

If so, how did he look?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
jterrell;3821879 said:
Carimi may well be there at 41. He is a run blocking RT at this point. He doesn't look very agile at all. Probably reminds many of Phil Loadholt, the monstrous starting RT for Minny. Played OG some in practice because they had two other OTs.

Solder is very much like Free. He has awesome feet and good technique but can struggle with bull rushes. Isn't the strongest dude just yet.

My favorite OT is Derrek Sherrod so I want to see what he has later today.

Lotsa good players in this draft class and we should get a couple where we draft.

Carimi and Loadhoalt arn't that similar. Loadholt is considerably bigger, Carimi was being raved about the first day at the senior bowl because he's quicker and has better footwork than most thought. Hes definately not making it to the second round.

Sherrod on the other hand.. he might.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;3821036 said:
Unless something unforeseen happens, I'm predicting Smith to go anywhere from 8 to 15. I have also heard from more than one person that the Cowboys are extremely interested in him.

We'll see, draft time always turns everyone into intentional liars.

I just don't trust that Smith can put on the weight...

Why risk it when you can get a complete player like Carimi with 0 questions about what he'll be. He's a sure thing.

I wouldn't touch Smith until the 2nd based on his weight.

I can't even say he is a day 1 starter because of his size.

And you know I was touting this guy before anyone else on this forum too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3821006 said:
Same here.. i heard that from Scout's, Inc. coverage.

I would prefer Carimi, but thats just me. Solder/Smith/Sherrod/Constanzo wouldn't be terrible either.

I like Sherrod as well but if you draft him I think you gotta move Doug Free to RT.

Im not opposed to moving Free back to the Right side either.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CATCH17;3822089 said:
I just don't trust that Smith can put on the weight...

Why risk it when you can get a complete player like Carimi with 0 questions about what he'll be. He's a sure thing.

I wouldn't touch Smith until the 2nd based on his weight.

I can't even say he is a day 1 starter because of his size.

I don't think there is any way Smith starts this year. I do think he will end up being the best tackle in the draft though.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
nyc;3822092 said:
I don't think there is any way Smith starts this year. I do think he will end up being the best tackle in the draft though.

Or the best blocking Tight End in the draft....

Why risk it with guys you know have the frame to hold more weight and are already big guys?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CATCH17;3822091 said:
I like Sherrod as well but if you draft him I think you gotta move Doug Free to RT.

I think Smith in a year or so, could become your franchise LT and if the Cowboys had that, I would gladly move Free to RT.

I'm just not comfortable drafting him now in the first round. It's like your damned if you do and your damned if you don't with Tyron in this draft.

He could have easily been a top 5 or maybe even top 3 draft pick if he waited one more year to bulk up.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
CATCH17;3822089 said:

And when was this? I know Chris had mentioned him during his sophomore season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3822055 said:
Carimi and Loadhoalt arn't that similar. Loadholt is considerably bigger, Carimi was being raved about the first day at the senior bowl because he's quicker and has better footwork than most thought. Hes definately not making it to the second round.

Sherrod on the other hand.. he might.

I believe you are 100% incorrect but that's what happens this early in the process. People are going to disagree.

Facts:
Carimi played some OG already at the Senior Bowl. I can link you any number of reports saying he is the 3rd best OT on the North squad. His bend is a bit worrisome but he does have a good initial punch and can certainly run block. He did consistently rag doll Beal but I expect him to win that match up. Against Jordan he was hit and miss which isn't bad but the misses came later.

He is 6'8" and does not have great agility.

Sherrod is 6'5" but has massive wing span and hand size(both tops at the Senior Bowl I believe and is 312 without any flab). He is a very big guy all around and with an impressive frame without being overly tall.

Sherrod faced top notch SEC defenses his entire career not the slightly lesser Big 12 or Big 10.

Anyways we'll see where these rank after the game and can follow them.

I'd love to get both guys and believe we can.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
CATCH17;3822091 said:

Ouch. Start a rookie at LT when we know what Free is on the blindside?

He just played great at LT and we also now have to give him a new contract as a RT? Why would he sign that when he can get LT money as a FA from a ton of teams