Twitter: Taco on signing with Chiefs: My foot's on the gas for this one

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If you want to blame McClay for rubber stamping Garrett and Marinelli's bad decisions, have at it. You're right. But make no mistake about exactly where those bad decisions came from in the first place.

McClay's mistake was choosing the wrong side in the arguments.

"Some scouts liked Watt more than Charlton."

Not all. Just some. Had there been consensus in the scouting department, this would have been a clear cut decision. That a GM would listen to coaches over scouts ... that's an issue but clearly the coaches opinions mattered because the scouts were not in full agreement.

Of course, fans are all in on blaming the coaches when they get it wrong but do recall this is the same staff that didn't want Shariff Floyd, traded back and landed Travis Frederick. Both are out of the league now but Fred had a really good career and Floyd ... not so much.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I could be totally off base, but seemed as though Taco was a bone thrown with full trust at Marineli.
RM sunk this defense with that pick, how do you draft that player after sitting down with him in an interview?
WM should’ve been fired after ****** Taco and Sister Trysten picks. He’s a worthless POS in my book now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not all. Just some. Had there been consensus in the scouting department, this would have been a clear cut decision. That a GM would listen to coaches over scouts ... that's an issue but clearly the coaches opinions mattered because the scouts were not in full agreement.

Of course, fans are all in on blaming the coaches when they get it wrong but do recall this is the same staff that didn't want Shariff Floyd, traded back and landed Travis Frederick. Both are out of the league now but Fred had a really good career and Floyd ... not so much.

Floyd's was cut short due to injury, wasn't it?

Beaker42

Reaction score

Watt’s motor was 10X Taco’s. I hate scUM anyway so this just made it worse for me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you want to blame McClay for rubber stamping Garrett and Marinelli's bad decisions, have at it. You're right. But make no mistake about exactly where those bad decisions came from in the first place.

McClay's mistake was choosing the wrong side in the arguments.
I heard Laufenberg on the radio say it wasn't McClay or Garrett or even Maranelli's decision. He wouldn't' say who to blame on Taco but it was safe to assume Jerry.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's the issue with Taco. He gets a bad rep but to me he's just not that great of a football player. His potential is that of a rotational guy. And there's nothing wrong with that. But this notion that he hasn't reached his potential...its like Bobbie Carpenter. Just because he was taken high in the draft doesn't mean his ceiling is that of where he was drafted.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Or we could consider this take on events:

"The Taco Charlton vs. T.J. Watt debate had been settled days before, the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff winning the healthy argument with the scouting department, Rod Marinelli and the coaches believing that Watt is more of an outside linebacker than the right defensive end the scouting department viewed him to be."

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Who-Ordered-The-Taco-Combo-Platter-74910179/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard Laufenberg on the radio say it wasn't McClay or Garrett or even Maranelli's decision. He wouldn't' say who to blame on Taco but it was safe to assume Jerry.

I wouldn't give credence to a thing that Babe Laufenberg has to say about anything, but that's just me. Plenty of sources that I actually do consider of having merit say otherwise. Plenty.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQYDTDgYqd65cPbuph0qSWKs5t_xWKhBnNme8ANWRfp5bwAmTKv&usqp=CAU No meat...

LOL...... Those are Hobo Tacos! No meat, no cheese, no onions or tomatoes or Salsa, just lettuce!

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Where was his foot when he got drafted? Should he not have wanted to prove he was worthy of being picked in the first round? Where was the foot and gas pedal then?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wouldn't give credence to a thing that Babe Laufenberg has to say about anything, but that's just me. Plenty of sources that I actually do consider of having merit say otherwise. Plenty.
Laufenberg is tied in. What have the sources said?

And also worth noting that he did say Maranelli was the one behind Hill if that holds any merit.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In fairness, I think Witten said the same thing to the Raiders media.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Or we could consider this take on events:

"The Taco Charlton vs. T.J. Watt debate had been settled days before, the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff winning the healthy argument with the scouting department, Rod Marinelli and the coaches believing that Watt is more of an outside linebacker than the right defensive end the scouting department viewed him to be."

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...-Who-Ordered-The-Taco-Combo-Platter-74910179/
This is the way I've heard it ever since the draft. Garrett was even quoted as saying he wanted the warrior or something like that. I think Marinelli sold Garrett on him.