Twitter: Taco on signing with Chiefs: My foot's on the gas for this one

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Laufenberg is tied in. What have the sources said?

And also worth noting that he did say Maranelli was the one behind Hill if that holds any merit.

The sources have said that Marinelli - backed by Garrett - overruled the scouts board and rankings and designated Watt as strictly an outside linebacker and said they preferred Taco Chalrton.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the way I've heard it ever since the draft. Garrett was even quoted as saying he wanted the warrior or something like that. I think Marinelli sold Garrett on him.

Yep.

Thankfully, both guys ultimately paid the price with their jobs, but now the team is left undoing the damage and picking up the pieces.

Anyone actually think it's mere coincidence that the team has a stellar draft now that both are gone?

Anyone?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Taco was a need pick, much like Trysten Hill. Hopefully, those two were eye-openers in seeing that's a mistake!
According to those in the know, Marinelli shouted and pounded the table for them. Thanks for that, Rod!:angry:

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If you want to blame McClay for rubber stamping Garrett and Marinelli's bad decisions, have at it. You're right. But make no mistake about exactly where those bad decisions came from in the first place.

McClay's mistake was choosing the wrong side in the arguments.
Agreed. I just don't like this narrative that he's hitting nothing but home runs.

The problem is the decision-by-committee format Cowboys tend to rely on. Ideally, your head talent evaluator listens to input but is ultimately responsible for the final decisions. There is none of this idea that "not really Will's fault because of Marinelli"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I just don't like this narrative that he's hitting nothing but home runs.

No, he definitely deserves to be put on blast for going along with Taco and Hill. It bothers me the most that he stood with coaches over his own scouts.

The problem is the decision-by-committee format Cowboys tend to rely on. Ideally, your head talent evaluator listens to input but is ultimately responsible for the final decisions. There is none of this idea that "not really Will's fault because of Marinelli"

That's very true and I would never say that. He was complicit in the crimes.

I'm just glad to see that with Marinelli and Garrett removed from the equation that we're back to having excellent drafts. I hope it can continue.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Rod Marinelli and the coaches believing that Watt is more of an outside linebacker than the right defensive end the scouting department viewed him to be."
Par for the course.

His outdated beliefs and system, as well as his inability to adjust in game, has been costing this team for years.

The Cowboys bland defense and refusal to disguise their intentions has been called out from bloggers and Twitter analysts, to Zone members, to television broadcast teams, to Sam Darnold.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Par for the course.

His outdated beliefs and system, as well as his inability to adjust in game, has been costing this team for years.

The Cowboys bland defense and refusal to disguise their intentions has been called out from bloggers and Twitter analysts, to Zone members, to television broadcast teams, to Sam Darnold.

Yeah, from "the Cowboys do what they do" one week, to "seeing ghosts out there" the next.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What a complete loser this guy is. Terrible pick. How do you sit down with him pre-draft and not pick up on his lackadaisical attitude?

I would assume just like with anyone else in a job interview that players try to say and do whatever will get them selected.

As an employer, one of the things I can't stand is when I talk to references and they don't point out the potential employees' faults because they don't want to make them look bad. All teams have to go on is what the player shows on the field and what those they interview have to say about the players.

Qcard

Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/how-taco-charlton-spoiled-cowboys--1st-round-resume
This led Dallas to decide between Watt and Charlton — which created a divide between scouts and coaches leading up to the draft. Some scouts liked Watt more than Charlton because he showed more juice and bend as a pass rusher, while McClay and the coaches favored Charlton’s length and value as a run defender. In fact, the war room concluded Watt was the better overall player, but that Charlton was the better overall fit. Thus, the Cowboys turned the card in for the Michigan defensive end.

Oof

My guess either he came in prepared/prepped for the sitdown or they just focused on size over character.
Amazing how some fans want to fault McClay or his staff for Taco. They were scouting and developing players based on the coaching staffs philosophy.

Imagine getting blamed for doing a good job..

It was Garrett's job to make it work. McCarthy saw CeeDee and he didn't blink.. Garrett should bhave seen Watt and told Marinelli to go stuff his philosophy

John813

Reaction score
Amazing how some fans want to fault McClay or his staff for Taco. They were scouting and developing players based on the coaching staffs philosophy.

Imagine getting blamed for doing a good job..

It was Garrett's job to make it work. McCarthy saw CeeDee and he didn't blink.. Garrett should bhave seen Watt and told Marinelli to go stuff his philosophy

I think this Taco situation was destined to fail as soon as 2017 started. His attitude didn't help no doubt, but I believe the team soured on D-Law after 2016 and was looking for a new DE. Problem was that Taco had the build/attributes for a LDE, and Lawrence came in determined and healthy and won the LDE spot early.
In Taco's 3 sacks from his rookie year, they all came at the LDE spot and they weren't in garbage time. He did flash his potential his rookie year. But once it was set that D-Law was the future at LDE Taco took it the wrong way, and landed in Rod's doghouse.

I've read the FO, including the Jones duo, had a super high opinion of Rod all the way up to last year. From his first year here to his last year here, his word carried weight in the draft process. From passing on Floyd, to trading up for D-Law to the Hill pick.

According to Bryan Broddaus, McClay didn't think Watt could be a 3 down DE. Fisher reported that Rod didn't think Watt could be a DE and McClay + Garrett went along with that opinion.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/how-taco-charlton-spoiled-cowboys--1st-round-resume
This led Dallas to decide between Watt and Charlton — which created a divide between scouts and coaches leading up to the draft. Some scouts liked Watt more than Charlton because he showed more juice and bend as a pass rusher, while McClay and the coaches favored Charlton’s length and value as a run defender. In fact, the war room concluded Watt was the better overall player, but that Charlton was the better overall fit. Thus, the Cowboys turned the card in for the Michigan defensive end.

Oof

My guess either he came in prepared/prepped for the sitdown or they just focused on size over character.
which goes back to what McCarthy told McClay...player before scheme...

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's fairly obvious they valued things like long armed corners and twitchy defensive linemen.

Who cares if they actually want to play football or not?

Hill is an even bigger example of this mess.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Foot on the gas? Oh, like this?

3dieax.jpg

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
He was here in 2014 and picked D-Lawrence in round 2. Ben Gardner in 7th
2015 was the Gregory draft and also took Ryan Russell in the 5th
2016 was Tapper in the 4th
2017 was Taco in 1st
2018 was Dorrace Armstrong in the 4th
2019 was Joe Johnson and Jelks in day 3.

Seems like 1 for 9, which in baseball will get you benched.