Takeaways tonight

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
81 looked bad to me. 3 or 4 dropped passes. Not one player really stood out to me. No one seemed like they really want this.
81 Johnson I think will make the team. His drops were from looking up before securing the catch. I didn't think he looked bad, just a rookie making mistakes. He got it together and had some really nice catches, especially to the outside and keeping his feet in bounds. When he got pushed out of bounds, I believe was past 5 yards, but he shouldn't have even tried to catch it. Seemed like he thought about it but stuck his hand out anyways. I will agree he needs to focus more on the next game because if he does the same thing next week than it's a bigger issue.

revospeed

Reaction score
I thought Cedric Wilson looked pretty good. I noticed they had him playing slot. With Cobb and Austin both on 1 year deals, may want to keep Wilson around as 6th guy. Stephan said Brown was the 5th guy already.

The DE spot is going to be interesting. You have:
LDE:
Lawrence
Armstrong
Hyder
Jelks

RDE:
Quinn(won’t count for 2 games)
Crawford
Charlton
Johnson

I would think they’ll pick a younger guy between Johnson/Jelks over Hyder. And try to stash the other one on PS. No way you can keep 7/8 DE.

Gifford will probably make the team if he’s not seriously injured.

They’ll only keep 5 CB’s. Because They’ll keep 5 safeties. Wilson has good upside and Frazier stays because he’s a ST Ace.

I only see 9 NFL OL on this team:
Smith
Collins
Martin
Williams
Frederick
Fleming
Looney
Su’a Filo
Redmon

I think we keep all 9.

McGovern will be one of the 9 linemen unless he’s IR’d.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Our depth is pretty darn good at some positions.

CB is where we really have depth. No Byron Jones, but Chido, Brown, and Lewis were great. Olumba wasn't challenged. Jackson needs some time.

DL has nice depth too. Sucks to be without Quinn for two games. Hopefully, DLaw comes back strong. Collins has had a great camp. Hyder was strong tonight. Loved what I saw from Jelks and J. Jackson.

It was nice to see a pick from the safety position.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hyder, Jelks and Jackson looked good at DE.

I still worry about DT. Covington, who is supposed to be a factor at the 1T was brutal all night.

Jarwin looked good.

Rush ain’t great but he’s clearly much better than White.

You saw why Darius Jackson bounces around the league. He rips off a decent 9 yard run and then the next play all he has to do is put his head down and plow for a yard but instead he stops and tries to dance and ends up losing two yards.

Hope Wilson doesn’t have a severe concussion. He looks like a really solid #4 WR option for us.

I still like Guyton over Johnson. Johnson had bad hands.

Red zone offense still sucks.

Weber was disappointing.

Get anothe kicker in here for chrisakes to push Maher.

Wilson shows promise at S.

It’s odd that every year other teams’ scrubs look and play better than ours do.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Observations:
1. You can’t judge play calling by an OC in a meaningless preseason game. EVER. Kellen Moore will not be showing anything of substance in the preseason. That’s the way it should be.
2. Mike White is terrible. He looked bad against guys that won’t be in the NFL in less than a month. He may be joining them.
3. The only value in watching bad football like this is to see if some rookies and backups have anything. Some do, some don’t.
4. Percentage of the “new” playbook shown tonight or any other time in preseason: Zero. That’s the way it should be.
5. We need to get some more kickers in camp soon.
6. I can’t wait until real NFL football starts for us on Sept. 8.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I thought Cedric Wilson looked pretty good. I noticed they had him playing slot. With Cobb and Austin both on 1 year deals, may want to keep Wilson around as 6th guy. Stephan said Brown was the 5th guy already.

The DE spot is going to be interesting. You have:
LDE:
Lawrence
Armstrong
Hyder
Jelks

RDE:
Quinn(won’t count for 2 games)
Crawford
Charlton
Johnson

I would think they’ll pick a younger guy between Johnson/Jelks over Hyder. And try to stash the other one on PS. No way you can keep 7/8 DE.

Gifford will probably make the team if he’s not seriously injured.

They’ll only keep 5 CB’s. Because They’ll keep 5 safeties. Wilson has good upside and Frazier stays because he’s a ST Ace.

I only see 9 NFL OL on this team:
Smith
Collins
Martin
Williams
Frederick
Fleming
Looney
Su’a Filo
Redmon

I think we keep all 9.
I think you mean Jackson at DE. I think Jelks, Jackson and Hyder all make the 53.

On the OL I disagree because McGovern will make the team. Redmon and Sua'filo might not make the team at all.

Sydla

Reaction score
81 Johnson I think will make the team. His drops were from looking up before securing the catch. I didn't think he looked bad, just a rookie making mistakes. He got it together and had some really nice catches, especially to the outside and keeping his feet in bounds. When he got pushed out of bounds, I believe was past 5 yards, but he shouldn't have even tried to catch it. Seemed like he thought about it but stuck his hand out anyways. I will agree he needs to focus more on the next game because if he does the same thing next week than it's a bigger issue.

He’s had drops in practice too.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
#68 on defense was active, yet indont see him getting any love!. He was the reason Jelks got the sack, he ran a running back from the opposite side, and also got thru a couple of times. Joe Jackson looked good too. #83 can catch!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Rush looked good on mid range and short passes but his deep throws were terrible. I didn't think he looked good at all, I will say however that he looked better than last year. Either way, if Dak goes down this team will struggle to win one game.

Agree.

Both Rush and White are tier 4 QBs at best.

Dallas needed to sign a veteran QB in March.