Takeaways tonight

phildadon86

Reaction score
I thought Cedric Wilson looked pretty good. I noticed they had him playing slot. With Cobb and Austin both on 1 year deals, may want to keep Wilson around as 6th guy. Stephan said Brown was the 5th guy already.

The DE spot is going to be interesting. You have:
LDE:
Lawrence
Armstrong
Hyder
Jelks

RDE:
Quinn(won’t count for 2 games)
Crawford
Charlton
Johnson

I would think they’ll pick a younger guy between Johnson/Jelks over Hyder. And try to stash the other one on PS. No way you can keep 7/8 DE.

Gifford will probably make the team if he’s not seriously injured.

They’ll only keep 5 CB’s. Because They’ll keep 5 safeties. Wilson has good upside and Frazier stays because he’s a ST Ace.

I only see 9 NFL OL on this team:
Smith
Collins
Martin
Williams
Frederick
Fleming
Looney
Su’a Filo
Redmon

I think we keep all 9.
What about the one we drafted?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Cedric Wilson and Luke Gifford made the biggest impressions to me. Shame both got hurt. No way either of them makes it to the PS. Even if Gifford is out a month he should still make the 53. He can be inactive the first few games

Flamma

Reaction score
Jelks and Joe Jackson looked solid

Mike Jackson looked bad

Mike White should just stay with his family and not return back to camp

Yeah Mike White looked bad, but who was protecting him? Same guys protecting Rush? Looked like he had a lot less time to throw.

Surprisingly Taco seemed to be disrupting things on more than a few occasions. I didn't expect that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Think Jarwin is getting over hyped , he was terrible blocking, got blown up too many times.

Yeah he’s not a great blocker but he looks like a guy who can threaten downfield from the TE spot.

Eagles TEs aren’t great blockers either but they find ways to use them and exploit defenses.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Awuzie was all over the field tonight...

Rush looked good...

Gifford is a keeper pending injury...

Jarwin looked good...

Definitely a positive but Cooper Rush did not look good. Overthrew twice in the end zone. Missed open receivers running to the sideline. I could go on and on he did not look good

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Definitely a positive but Cooper Rush did not look good. Overthrew twice in the end zone. Missed open receivers running to the sideline. I could go on and on he did not look good
He looked so good because White looked so bad. Maybe he looked better than last year though that's not saying much.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He looked so good because White looked so bad. Maybe he looked better than last year though that's not saying much.
I really didn't like when he was running to the sideline and we had to open receivers downfield and he just threw it away. And the overthrows in the endzone. Again I was just expecting too much too long of an offseason. I've seen all the teams this preseason and some of them look like they're ready to start tomorrow

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I really didn't like when he was running to the sideline and we had to open receivers downfield and he just threw it away. And the overthrows in the endzone. Again I was just expecting too much too long of an offseason. I've seen all the teams this preseason and some of them look like they're ready to start tomorrow
I know what you're saying. It isn't if we win or lose but it's how we look. And we looked like we always do even though we are supposed to have much better depth this year. It just didn't look like it.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know what you're saying. It isn't if we win or lose but it's how we look. And we looked like we always do even though we are supposed to have much better depth this year. It just didn't look like it.
We are in the red zone four times I believe last night. No touchdowns

Bizwah

Reaction score
A few points after rewatching the game.

Taco looked pretty good. Consistent pressure. Yes, he was playing a subpar tackle....but he was beating him like he should. Armstrong did well too. Both were sucked in by the RO badly. But the pressure was there.

Jarwin can't block. Uggh. I realize why Witten will be the main TE.

Rush wasn't bad at all. Two big drops by J Johnson killed drives that were promising.

Fredrick did well in his return.

We need to see more of Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I'll only list things that stood out or were disappointing. Example- I expected Dak Prescott to march Dallas down the field. I was happy he looked sharp, but he should.

1) Tony Pollard stood out among the other running backs. I really do think even with Zeke he will have an important role in this offense. Remember-Kellen Moore isn't going to show us much in the preseason. I'm excited to see them use Pollard as a pass catcher.
2) Cedrick Wilson had a solid game and good for him! He caught some bad luck last year. I don't get why this front office thinks Tavon and Noah Brown are automatically the #4/#5 WR. They haven't done anything either. Was a little disappointing in Jon'vea dropping a few passes.
3) Blake Jarwin is a nice #2 TE in the NFL. I don't think he is a #1 because he does struggle blocking. But he could be a nice athletic down the field threat.
4) Love our interior line depth but our backup tackle situation is worrisome. I'm sorry guys, but I don't like Cam Fleming-especially his price tag. I was disappointed in Mitch Hyatt. Heard a lot of hype and he got man-handled. Welcome back Travis though!
5) Some flashes from the DL last night. Jackson, Jelks, Armstrong, and even Taco did some nice things. I just hope one of them really stands out this year.
6) I don't have a good feeling about Trysten Hill. Part of the reason Dallas took Pollard out after one drive was because they are comfortable with him. I'm sorry, but Trysten shouldn't be playing with the 3rd and 4th stringers-especially as a 2nd round pick!!
7) DB is loaded and it's about time!!! Byron is awesome but Awuzie is ready to take the next step. He made some nice plays. Brown and Lewis made some good plays and key tackles. The rookie Jackson was a bit disappointing. But hey, they have film on him now so this will help him.
8) Bring in a kicker to compete with Maher--please. He is an average kicker at best. If Dallas is down 30-28, do you trust him to make the game winning kick? An extra point is really important too and he is capable of missing those. I'm telling you, he could very well cost Dallas 1-2 games.

I'm just so glad football is back on. Love all the fans on this site as well! We will see more and more the next few weeks. But for once, I was glad to focus about the on the field stuff instead of the checkbook.

Oh..one more thing...Mike White needs to get cut.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I don't think that's right. I mean Miami has Rosen, Tenn has Tannehill, Giants have Jones, Saints have Bridgewater. A lot of teams have pretty good backups.
Plus guys will get cut after they go to 53...there have to be better players.