Takk > Taco or Taco > Takk

waldoputty

Reaction score
Seems to me I remember a story of us missing out on a SORRY QB in the 4th round last year because "things didn't work out". That was the greatest thing to happen to the Cowboys since The Triplets were drafted. The same thing is gonna happen here. Takk is going to be a problem child for the NFL and Atlanta. In four years, y'all will be complaining about the contract Taco is going to demand...

That would be nice, but there would be plenty of cap dollars given the new cap environment.
The big question is if Dak would give a discount - I think he would.

coult44

Reaction score
That would be nice, but there would be plenty of cap dollars given the new cap environment.
The big question is if Dak would give a discount - I think he would.

Dak is not gonna give a discount. See #3 in Seattle. If Dak continues on that path, JJ will pay him every penny he's worth. And we will all be happy with it!!Especially after a SB in the next 3 years.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Gregory beat Takk's shuttle by over a quarter second and cone score by over half a second. Takk is not remotely the athlete that Gregory is. Frankly, for Takk's size his agility scores are bad.

What moves do you think Takk has? It looks like he is playing paddy cake instead of actually disengaging to me.

You just seem to be wishcasting at this point.

Ok, took the time to listen most of the 4 hour broadcast: http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2017/04/28/2017-draft-day-live-round-1

Things I noticed:
1. around pick 19, the camera panned away from the war room, and they even mentioned it. though it seems it was no big deal when Harris was picked.
2. before atlanta took Takk, one of the guys said Cowboys really like Takk. they did not say Cowboys really like Taco.
3. after atlanta took Takk, they did say something about Jerry and then something about 'the most distraught' about the pick.
4. after dallas took taco, they themselves were clearly not real happy about Taco - one said Watt and other said King. one said they thought cowboys were going passrusher.
5. the guys were clearly disappointed and thought Taco as a solid LDE and need to take his game to the next level. They clearly question whether Taco can be a RDE.

Based on that, I would say that they believe Cowboys preferred Takk over Taco.
In my view, Sissemore was being reasonable about his view.

Have not listened to Friday's Talking Cowboys yet.

With Taco's improved speed in his Pro Day (matched Garrett's 10 yard split time while 5 pounds lighter and 4.83 in 40), lets hope that is what kept him from taking the next step.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Ok, took the time to listen most of the 4 hour: http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2017/04/28/2017-draft-day-live-round-1

Things I noticed:
1. around pick 19, the camera panned away from the war room, and they even mentioned it. though it seems it was no big deal when Harris was picked.
2. before atlanta took Takk, one of the guys said Cowboys really like Takk. they did not say Cowboys really like Taco.
3. after atlanta took Takk, they did say something about Jerry and then something about 'the most distraught' about the pick.
4. after dallas took taco, they themselves were clearly not real happy about Taco - one said Watt and other said King. one said they thought cowboys were going passrusher.
5. the guys were clearly disappointed and thought Taco as a solid LDE and need to take his game to the next level. They clearly question whether Taco can be a RDE.

Based on that, I would say that they believe Cowboys preferred Takk over Taco.
In my view, Sissemore was being reasonable about his view.

Have not listened to Friday's Talking Cowboys yet.

You are going by what Broaddus and company are telling you and not looking for yourself.

I don't give a damn what Broaddus thinks personally.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You are going by what Broaddus and company are telling you and not looking for yourself.

I don't give a damn what Broaddus thinks personally.

i could not tell crap from the reactions of the war room - no one was jumping up and down.
i do listen to broaddus and the others say in the war room reaction.
i presume the flagship journalists are better in interpreting the reactions of the FO than any of us are.
The word 'distraught' was actually used.
So clearly should not be calling Sissemore a liar

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
i could not tell crap from the reactions of the war room - no one was jumping up and down.
i presume the flagship journalists are better in interpreting the reactions of the FO than any of us are.

So you are doubling down on not looking for yourself.

I have no problem interpreting fist bumps, handshakes, head nods, hugs, and smiles personally. Are you autistic?

And what Helman said was the only one who looks distraught is Charlotte while he pointed out the other guys looked unconcerned. You need to pay better attention.

FYI, Charlotte deals with brand management and PR. For all you know she was distraught because her employee, Bryan Broaddus, was poo pooing the pick. His boss Eagleton reports to her.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So you are doubling down on not looking for yourself.

I have no problem interpreting fist bumps, handshakes, head nods, hugs, and smiles personally. Are you autistic?

And what Helman said was the only one who looks distraught is Charlotte while he pointed out the other guys looked unconcerned. You need to pay better attention.

FYI, Charlotte deals with brand management and PR. For all you know she was distraught because her employee, Bryan Broaddus, was poo pooing the pick. His boss Eagleton reports to her.

I listened to the entire 4 hour broadcast to take notes.
Sissemore said Eatman said Cowboys really liked Takk.
He was right.

I could not tell a damn thing in the war room video.
No one was jumping up and down.
You certainly do not expect that, do you?

I played the "distraught" section twice because there was a break in the middle.
I will listen to it some more.
What I could make out was "Jerry ... the most distraught..."

Furthermore, given the way they were talking, they would have talked differently if the FO liked Taco more (or as much) as Takk.
All signs lead to Takk > Taco to me in the FO view.
I would expect the flagship people have much better access than any of us.

I did not hear Charlotte mentioned.
Since she was sitting at the war room, I suspect she is not listening to the podcast.

Certainly, no one should be calling Sissemore a liar.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ask Sissemore if he knows the first name of the actor that was married to Mary Tyler Moore's character Laura Petrie.

My guess is that he doesn't know __________.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ask Sissemore if he knows the first name of the actor that was married to Mary Tyler Moore's character Laura Petrie.

My guess is that he doesn't know __________.

I spent the 4 hours to listen to it.
Sissemore was not lying and basically listened to what was said by Helman.
If you want to criticize, criticize Helman, but then you would be saying a member of the flagship does not have any idea what the FO is thinking.

Lets hope Taco's improved speed simply did not show up on the field due to the injury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was right.

I played the "distraught" section twice because there was a break in the middle.

Furthermore, given the way they were talking, they would have talked differently if the FO liked Taco more (or as much) as Takk.

Since she was sitting at the war room, I suspect she is not listening to the podcast.

Broaddus and his minions have been wrong way more often than not. Parcells fired him for being a moron. Sorry to be harsh, but that's the truth.

Broaddus and his minions put out opinions before the draft and they, more than most media, then set out to prove themselves correct. It's a bizarre process where Broaddus will do things like criticize a player in training camp repeatedly to the point that it sounds like the player will be cut at any minute. That usually happens in the time span before the 1st preseason game. Often once we all see the players in the preseason games, the player(s) that Broaddus claimed were terrible often are actually quite good. This has happened repeatedly. Eventually, I started going back to see how Broaddus had rated those players before the draft. In ALL instances, Broaddus had disliked the player prior to the draft. He does something similar with players that he liked in the draft. He'll claim they are the best player at their position as a rookie, but once we see them, they are either average or not good.

These are not draft related players, but in the 2014 training camp, Broaddus claimed that OT Darrion Weems was drastically outplaying OT Jermey Parnell. In reality, Parnell replaced Free in 7 games, including 2 play-off games and was better than Free. Weems would have been cut, but got injured and was on IR. That following off-season Weems was cut and Parnell signed a 32 million dollar contract with Jacksonville which included double the guaranteed money that Free got to re-sign with the Cowboys. It turns out that Broaddus had predicted before training camp that Weems would win the backup OT job over Parnell. His claims of how they were playing were all based on him trying to prove himself correct.

Nick Eatman once, during the Cowboys annual Blue-White scrimmage, was calling out players during the scrimmage based on their Jersey numbers. I immediately realized some was drastically wrong because several of the players he was calling out had not been on the team in 2 or 3 years; nevertheless, he kept calling out the wrong players throughout the entire scrimmage. How could he not know that those players were no longer on the roster? It was a display of complete incompetence.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I spent the 4 hours to listen to it.
Sissemore was not lying and basically listened to what was said by Helman.
If you want to criticize, criticize Helman, but then you would be saying a member of the flagship does not have any idea what the FO is thinking.

Lets hope Taco's improved speed simply did not show up on the field due to the injury.
OK, but please ask Sissemore my trivia question.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He was right.

Helman does not say that. Helmann goes on about how he likes the pick and doesn't buy into the RDE/LDE delineation.

And I again ask are you autistic? The handshakes, fist bumps, hugs, and smiles seem obvious to me and the were obvious to Helman when he describes the room as "ecstatic" which of course you couldn't manage to pick up.

As for the distraught comment what Broadduss said was: "Charlotte looks the most distraught"

2ex3f4i.jpg

That looks bored to me maybe with a hint of a smirk. Keep in mind she is watching Takk's tirade at that point.

That is all around 3:22.

Fast forward to 3:25 and the Cowboys pick and they look like:

2dbs520.jpg

Stephen just got done sharing smiles and shaking hands with Garrett and Jerry. Rod comes in and when he stands up to shake his hand, Rod envelops him in a hug.

Helmann describes them as ecstatic.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Helman does not say that. Helmann goes on about how he likes the pick and doesn't buy into the RDE/LDE delineation.

And I again ask are you autistic? The handshakes, fist bumps, hugs, and smiles seem obvious to me and the were obvious to Helman when he describes the room as "ecstatic" which of course you couldn't manage to pick up.

As for the distraught comment what Broadduss said was: "Charlotte looks the most distraught"

2ex3f4i.jpg

That looks bored to me maybe with a hint of a smirk. Keep in mind she is watching Takk's tirade at that point.

That is all around 3:22.

Fast forward to 3:25 and the Cowboys pick and they look like:

2dbs520.jpg

Stephen just got done sharing smiles and shaking hands with Garrett and Jerry. Rod comes in and when he stands up to shake his hand, Rod envelops him in a hug.

Helmann describes them as ecstatic.

i will listen again.
i dont have the best hearing, so you could well be right.
the stuff at the end, I dont give much belief in - PR.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
i will listen again.
i dont have the best hearing, so you could well be right.
the stuff at the end, I dont give much belief in - PR.

So you are going to bias out anything that looks positive?

Sorry but that hug and the glow on Jerry's face look genuine to me. Rod looks downright relieved.

waldoputty

Reaction score
So you are going to bias out anything that looks positive?

Sorry but that hug and the glow on Jerry's face look genuine to me. Rod looks downright relieved.

i already said things seemed fine after harris was taken.
i am sure rod was relieved he got someone.
the question i had is if they prefer takk over taco.

as i said, i dont give me credence to pr moments.
been there done that.

i will rewatch it again.
i have bad eyes and bad eyes, but will try again.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Based on my recollection all these years, I recollect most of the big contracts were signed within 2-3 weeks.
You recollect differently.
It seems I was right there.

I thought RFA was included.
You said no.
You were right here.

I looked at the number of players on many of the teams.
Based on their salary structure, it appears that most teams already had most of their costly players.
It seems I was right here.

Sometimes in life you need to work with uncertainty.
From school, I learned to model this way.
I did not create it as I am not smart enough.

This type of modeling was done for econ/psychology type fields where math modeling was done.
I cannot explain how that works to you.
You have to take the class.
This type of 'handwaving' is done because there is often no other choice.
It is incumbent on the model builder to make reasonable assumption.
If you want to complain why $5M, I already offered to you back then I could raise the number.

It turns out the $5M number is pretty good.
Would you not agree?

Your recollection? Sorry but that is absolute garbage.

I'm fine with working with uncertainty. What I am not comfortable is a starting point devoid of any real data.

For example if I wanted to tell how much money was spent at a particular market over a year I would sample actual purchases over an interval and extrapolate the whole with a measured degree of uncertainty.

I have asked you for your basis and its your nebulous impression of who knows what. During past discussions you have indicated you don't know how to look up signings past the second week in FA. We know you have no real data.

And here you are claiming victory with no data at all whatsoever to support your claim. What is particularly humorous to me is that you did not even nother to adjust your expectations after you were made to realize you had left out all the RFA, ERFA, franchise tags, and the like.

And unless there are only 32 FA that are going to be signed between mid March and the end of the August your pointing out that only one FA has signed for $5m is pretty asinine.

If you would bother to look there have been many signings ranging from $1m-$5m with many more yet to be signed including several players like JPP and Melvin Ingram who have yet to sign their franchise tenders.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I'd like to see Taco pattern his game after Greg Hardy, believe it or not. He was a beast (before he threw it all away) at 6'4" 278lbs. He could rush the passer, set the edge, and just generally wreaked havoc all across the LOS. I believe Hardy ran like a 4.90 40 as well coming out of college. I think their measurables are pretty similar too.

Will McClay talked about Taco's versatility:

I believe his perceived upside and versatility made him much more attractive to the Cowboys at #28. I think Leon Lett and Marinelli will bring out The Kraken in this kid. :)