Talent acquisition happens year round

Flamma

Reaction score
This is the same for all NFL teams. I’ve got faith in Will McClay to find some talent at both the RB and DT positions before the season starts. Whether it’s a young player that’s on the tail end of a strong roster or a veteran last day cut. There will be some excellent talent teams will try and stash on the practice squad. This is where McClay shines. Who knows, they may already have someone on the roster in both areas. So no need to lose faith. Lots to look forward to.
Agreed. I am more of a pessimist, you the optimist. That doesn't mean we have to be at odds. You could be totally right, and I wish for that. But I think you're delusional. You probably think I'm an ******. That's perfectly fine. We both root for the same team and wish the best for them.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is the same for all NFL teams. I’ve got faith in Will McClay to find some talent at both the RB and DT positions before the season starts. Whether it’s a young player that’s on the tail end of a strong roster or a veteran last day cut. There will be some excellent talent teams will try and stash on the practice squad. This is where McClay shines. Who knows, they may already have someone on the roster in both areas. So no need to lose faith. Lots to look forward to.
All the passengers were also excited when boarding the Titanic.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Now that's the way to make your point and get people to listen.
Why do you think people around here try to get people to listen we're just making our point like everybody else sometimes it's just a I thought I mean we post because something crossed our mind and we give our opinion you don't have to agree with anybody you don't have to like it you can wholeheartedly disagree but he's right and by the way if you think for any reason that Jerry Jones hasn't been the GM around here for at least five years and it will mcclay is the GM he does most of what a regular GM does just with a different title in just like any corporation there's layers and layers of management Jerry doesn't sit up there on some pulpit with a gavel like a judge and makes stupid decisions by himself he listens to his coaches and every time he change his coaches which like on defense has been way too often over the last 10 years you then have to try to find different talent to fit the new schemes and things can change and that happens with changing out the head coach the offensive coordinator that's happened a couple times over the last five years there's always something that's in flux and you have to make changes just like the Philadelphia Eagles you think that they thought after going to the Super bowl and then they got pillaged with their coaching staff and a lot of their players and then have a monumental collapse last year after their wonderful GM who makes all these moves that everybody thinks are great and then somehow our team beats his team twice for the division out of the last three years and I know there's more goals than that but everyone thinking that Jerry just sits up there and does this by himself is ridiculous maybe to his discredit he shouldn't listen to people as much but he has football people under him he has football people on his staff of coaches they've been doing this almost their entire lives..

So no this response isn't just to you I don't have time to go make 5 responses to everyone this is just adding my opinion to this Jerry has football people under him just like other teams he just doesn't have a GM with a title that this fan base agrees with even though they refuse join me there he has not been the GM he just likes the title of Jimmy likes to talk he likes to be in public he is becoming a little senile so just ignore what he says that don't mean the people under him don't know what they're doing..

Lastly you all do realize that Dallas Cowboys management does things like most teams do there are very few teams that take that super aggressive approach that go after all the big name free agents that do all these moves year round most of them do it like the Dallas Cowboys you try to draft well fill some holes you do go after a few free agents but this all in thing that the Rams Eagles and 49ers do here and there I mean the Rams did it once that is not very common especially for a team that's won 36 games two division titles been to the playoffs five of the last eight years they don't have as big a hole and need to make as big a moves as some of these other teams it's been evident go look at the past five years and see that the Washington and the giants have spent more a lot more it made more moves than the Dallas Cowboys and yet they still are at the bottom of the division...​
This isn't always about making the big splash moves although I wish yes they would do a little bit more that they would try this a little harder but in no way shape or form is this front office doing things much differently than 90% of the NFL I mean look at the Kansas City Chiefs beat the 49ers and the Eagles in the Super bowl by doing very little they literally used a running back and wide receiver by committee they did not go out and spend big money the last five years if anything they've been dismantling their team and making smaller and smaller moves every year and doing exactly what the Cowboys do and I get it they have Patrick mahomes they have Andy Reed and they have a slight advantage and that's why they're winning Super Bowls doing it the same way but most teams I can't put this in bolder letters, they do it the way the Cowboys do it... This whole all in high risk stuff is not what teams do on a regular basis.. And I agree every now and again it might be nice if they did try it just to see if it would work..

MikeT22

Reaction score
People still pretending that Will McClay is more than just another Jerry yes man?

We are talking about the same McClay that refuses to interview for actual GM jobs, right?

Will McClay fears being asked GM questions in an interview. Being a Jerry yes man is much easier.
He was the loudest table pounder for Mazi too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt Will McClay has found some talent in the draft.
Found role players in FA, since Jerry & son do not believe in FA outside of their own players. And yes, teams need to resign some of their players.

However, there is not one player on the current roster that I can see. That was on the PS, and came up to stay on the 53 that makes an impact.
The top 53 are from the draft and a few FA's.

Now this may not be all on WM and his scouts. That could be more on coaching. But this could be said of most teams as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How to Create a Divisive Thread

Step 1: Type an opening post​
Step 2: Allow fellow members to add comments​
Step 3: Assign labels onto fellow members with undesired comments (i.e. "Hater", "Romolover", "loser", "pollyanna", etc.)​
Step 4: Return to Step 2/Proceed to Step 5 if-and-when new topic is conceived​
Step 5: Return to Step 1​

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The issue to me isn't that the Cowboys are not capable of finding hidden gems, but even the teams that do it the best have way more misses than hits. This should be viewed as a way to supplement your roster with depth and developmental guys. When you are counting on hitting on starting caliber players, especially multiple ones through unknowns its not a good sign. It's kind of like playing blackjack and hitting on 18....Sometimes it works out, sometimes it's even necessary to do, but the majority of the time you'll bust.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How to Create a Divisive Thread

Step 1: Type an opening post​
Step 2: Allow fellow members to add comments​
Step 3: Assign labels onto fellow members with undesired comments (i.e. "Hater", "Romolover", "loser", "pollyanna", etc.)​
Step 4: Return to Step 2/Proceed to Step 5 if-and-when new topic is conceived​
Step 5: Return to Step 1​
Get off your high horse! :laugh:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you think people around here try to get people to listen we're just making our point like everybody else sometimes it's just a I thought I mean we post because something crossed our mind and we give our opinion you don't have to agree with anybody you don't have to like it you can wholeheartedly disagree but he's right and by the way if you think for any reason that Jerry Jones hasn't been the GM around here for at least five years and it will mcclay is the GM he does most of what a regular GM does just with a different title in just like any corporation there's layers and layers of management Jerry doesn't sit up there on some pulpit with a gavel like a judge and makes stupid decisions by himself he listens to his coaches and every time he change his coaches which like on defense has been way too often over the last 10 years you then have to try to find different talent to fit the new schemes and things can change and that happens with changing out the head coach the offensive coordinator that's happened a couple times over the last five years there's always something that's in flux and you have to make changes just like the Philadelphia Eagles you think that they thought after going to the Super bowl and then they got pillaged with their coaching staff and a lot of their players and then have a monumental collapse last year after their wonderful GM who makes all these moves that everybody thinks are great and then somehow our team beats his team twice for the division out of the last three years and I know there's more goals than that but everyone thinking that Jerry just sits up there and does this by himself is ridiculous maybe to his discredit he shouldn't listen to people as much but he has football people under him he has football people on his staff of coaches they've been doing this almost their entire lives..

So no this response isn't just to you I don't have time to go make 5 responses to everyone this is just adding my opinion to this Jerry has football people under him just like other teams he just doesn't have a GM with a title that this fan base agrees with even though they refuse join me there he has not been the GM he just likes the title of Jimmy likes to talk he likes to be in public he is becoming a little senile so just ignore what he says that don't mean the people under him don't know what they're doing..

Lastly you all do realize that Dallas Cowboys management does things like most teams do there are very few teams that take that super aggressive approach that go after all the big name free agents that do all these moves year round most of them do it like the Dallas Cowboys you try to draft well fill some holes you do go after a few free agents but this all in thing that the Rams Eagles and 49ers do here and there I mean the Rams did it once that is not very common especially for a team that's won 36 games two division titles been to the playoffs five of the last eight years they don't have as big a hole and need to make as big a moves as some of these other teams it's been evident go look at the past five years and see that the Washington and the giants have spent more a lot more it made more moves than the Dallas Cowboys and yet they still are at the bottom of the division...​
This isn't always about making the big splash moves although I wish yes they would do a little bit more that they would try this a little harder but in no way shape or form is this front office doing things much differently than 90% of the NFL I mean look at the Kansas City Chiefs beat the 49ers and the Eagles in the Super bowl by doing very little they literally used a running back and wide receiver by committee they did not go out and spend big money the last five years if anything they've been dismantling their team and making smaller and smaller moves every year and doing exactly what the Cowboys do and I get it they have Patrick mahomes they have Andy Reed and they have a slight advantage and that's why they're winning Super Bowls doing it the same way but most teams I can't put this in bolder letters, they do it the way the Cowboys do it... This whole all in high risk stuff is not what teams do on a regular basis.. And I agree every now and again it might be nice if they did try it just to see if it would work..
Veeery long comment on my one-liner. My only point in that post was his making a comment without insulting someone is a great way to convey his opinion. Nothing more or less.

Brax

Reaction score
People still pretending that Will McClay is more than just another Jerry yes man?

We are talking about the same McClay that refuses to interview for actual GM jobs, right?

Will McClay fears being asked GM questions in an interview. Being a Jerry yes man is much easier.
And more importantly the dollars and no accountability, who wouldn’t want a job like that

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
And more importantly the dollars and no accountability, who wouldn’t want a job like that
Isn’t it crazy how Jerry is blamed for “bad roster building” while McClay is credited with everything good the Cowboys do roster wise?

Last edited:

Brax

Reaction score
No, it translates into I know what McClays done with this team in identifying talent and if you, or anyone else, doesn’t see that, then you’re not worth my time.
WM 21 years in talent personnel department, Dallas Cowboys CCGs in that time, 0. Maybe Jerry should find a new yes man. JJ and WM make a heck of a team evaluating all that talent, here’s a sample of a Jerry and Will discussion, I really like Taco, he’s better than Watt, yes Jerry you are right no doubt about it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
“This is where Mcclay shines”

Provide some examples
Don't know if these are examples of McClay shining, but our transactions from July until the start of the season last year were:

Signing K Brandon Aubrey on July 10, signing DB Josh Butler on July 26, trading for QB Trey Lance on Aug. 26 and trading CB Kelvin Joseph for CB Noah Igbinoghene on Aug. 29.

In 2022, they were: signed K Lirim Hajrullahu and LB Christian Sam on July 11; signed LB Malik Jefferson on July 14; signed WR KaVontae Turpin on July 28; signed LB Anthony Barr on Aug. 5; and signed K Brett Maher on Aug. 9.

In 2021, they were: signed DB Kyron Brown on July 25, signed S Malik Hooker on July 27 and signed K Lirim Hajrullahu on Aug. 29.

That's all I have time to mess with. Draw your own conclusions.

Sydla

Reaction score
The people you find now and in August are depth guys.

If you are waiting until now to solve a problem, then that's a problem and shows a poor offseason plan, especially at DT.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, it translates into I know what McClays done with this team in identifying talent and if you, or anyone else, doesn’t see that, then you’re not worth my time.
One, McClay isn't the GM. He's a glorified scout. He isn't picking players, he's not signing guys. He gives Jerry and Stephen input and they make the decision. I suspect McClay, if given full autonomy, wouldn't be so cheap in FA.

McClay operates in the parameters set and controlled by Jerry/Stephen. It's why this team is always "incomplete" most years where roster holes become clear in the most important times of the season (usually postseason).

But let's also note, McClay has made some pretty big mistakes. Mazi Smith, he was a big proponent of............... if Smith doesn't make that leap this year, it's a big screw up by Jerry/Stephen/McClay.

bandfan

Reaction score
CZ poster: "I don't know who they are going to get but I'm gonna complain about them."