Talent acquisition happens year round

Sydla

Reaction score
CZ poster: "I don't know who they are going to get but I'm gonna complain about them."
CZ homer: "Anybody they sign is gonna be real good, a real gem and fill a major hole, because............. COWBOYZ!"

In reality, people are right to complain because history shows very few, if any, impact players get signed now or in August. And this team has a major hole at DT, for example. They aren't signing anyone in the next two months that is gonna drastically move the needle at DT for Dallas.

That needed to happen months ago.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One, McClay isn't the GM. He's a glorified scout. He isn't picking players, he's not signing guys. He gives Jerry and Stephen input and they make the decision. I suspect McClay, if given full autonomy, wouldn't be so cheap in FA.

McClay operates in the parameters set and controlled by Jerry/Stephen. It's why this team is always "incomplete" most years where roster holes become clear in the most important times of the season (usually postseason).

But let's also note, McClay has made some pretty big mistakes. Mazi Smith, he was a big proponent of............... if Smith doesn't make that leap this year, it's a big screw up by Jerry/Stephen/McClay.
Hey I knew when I posted an optimistic and hopeful thread folks like you would go negative on it. It’s a given with your types.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't know if these are examples of McClay shining, but our transactions from July until the start of the season last year were:

Signing K Brandon Aubrey on July 10, signing DB Josh Butler on July 26, trading for QB Trey Lance on Aug. 26 and trading CB Kelvin Joseph for CB Noah Igbinoghene on Aug. 29.

In 2022, they were: signed K Lirim Hajrullahu and LB Christian Sam on July 11; signed LB Malik Jefferson on July 14; signed WR KaVontae Turpin on July 28; signed LB Anthony Barr on Aug. 5; and signed K Brett Maher on Aug. 9.

In 2021, they were: signed DB Kyron Brown on July 25, signed S Malik Hooker on July 27 and signed K Lirim Hajrullahu on Aug. 29.

That's all I have time to mess with. Draw your own conclusions.
Cowboys had 9 All Pro’s last year. Don’t forget the draft. That’s McClay and his scouting department.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CZ homer: "Anybody they sign we have hope he will be real good, a real gem and fill a major hole, because............. COWBOYZ!"

In reality, people are right to complain because history shows very few, if any, impact players get signed now or in August. And this team has a major hole at DT, for example. They aren't signing anyone in the next two months that is gonna drastically move the needle at DT for Dallas.

That needed to happen months ago.
I know you have to tell yourself lies, so you’ll feel better about yourself, so I fixed this to show the truth.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Veeery long comment on my one-liner. My only point in that post was his making a comment without insulting someone is a great way to convey his opinion. Nothing more or less.
If you if you happen to read it it said this wasn't all to you this is for all to read because I didn't have time to go back and answer to everybody so it was a blanket general statement after the first line it was me generally talking about this threads subject...

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
“This is where Mcclay shines”

Provide some examples
These are the last guys we signed off of others practice squads last year:

G Sean Harlow, who was signed away from the rival New York Giants, and DT Willington Previlion from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is the same for all NFL teams. I’ve got faith in Will McClay to find some talent at both the RB and DT positions before the season starts. Whether it’s a young player that’s on the tail end of a strong roster or a veteran last day cut. There will be some excellent talent teams will try and stash on the practice squad. This is where McClay shines. Who knows, they may already have someone on the roster in both areas. So no need to lose faith. Lots to look forward to.
Accept the first month of Free Agency.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hey I knew when I posted an optimistic and hopeful thread folks like you would go negative on it. It’s a given with your types.
No what happened is you posted an overly effusive, out of touch post and people are now explaining to you the flaws in your thinking.

McClay has done a nice job but he doesn't make decisions. He's at the mercy of Jerry and Stephen's whims. At this point of the offseason, you are looking for depth from cuts, etc. If you are trying to fill a major hole now, then that's a problem. McClay can't solve the DT position now, for example. He just can't.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No what happened is you posted an overly effusive, out of touch post and people are now explaining to you the flaws in your thinking.

McClay has done a nice job but he doesn't make decisions. He's at the mercy of Jerry and Stephen's whims. At this point of the offseason, you are looking for depth from cuts, etc. If you are trying to fill a major hole now, then that's a problem. McClay can't solve the DT position now, for example. He just can't.
100%

Sydla

Reaction score
I know you have to tell yourself lies, so you’ll feel better about yourself, so I fixed this to show the truth.
Nah, the moment we sign a guy, you immediately act like he was such a smart signing.

Someone asked a good question above. List for us all the examples of really good signings from this time of the year, when you say McClay "shines" (again failing to realize McClay ain't signing anyone, Jerry is).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys had 9 All Pro’s last year. Don’t forget the draft. That’s McClay and his scouting department.
This thread that you started wasn't about that. It was about Dallas' talent acquisitions beyond that. I have no problem with McClay or our drafts.

Barr was a contributor that we picked up between the point where we are at now and the start of the season, and Hooker was as well, and both turned out to be good additions.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I’ve never said anything different. See, you’re just looking for a fight trying to argue some mythical assumption you have about me.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nah, the moment we sign a guy, you immediately act like he was such a smart signing.

Someone asked a good question above. List for us all the examples of really good signings from this time of the year, when you say McClay "shines" (again failing to realize McClay ain't signing anyone, Jerry is).
Show me one of those post signing statements. I’m sure I just said I’m hopeful. Now Kendricks was a good signing and there’s all the evidence in the world he’ll do well here. I don’t think I said anything more.

You haters are making stuff up trying to attack me and in the process make yourself feel better. That’s a fact.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
This is the same for all NFL teams. I’ve got faith in Will McClay to find some talent at both the RB and DT positions before the season starts. Whether it’s a young player that’s on the tail end of a strong roster or a veteran last day cut. There will be some excellent talent teams will try and stash on the practice squad. This is where McClay shines. Who knows, they may already have someone on the roster in both areas. So no need to lose faith. Lots to look forward to.
Right, they are all in. 28 years of lies and and you still believe them.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This thread that you started wasn't about that. It was about Dallas' talent acquisitions beyond that. I have no problem with McClay or our drafts.

Barr was a contributor that we picked up between the point where we are at now and the start of the season, and Hooker was as well, and both turned out to be good additions.
The haters of course changed the narrative so they could turn it negative.