Talib admits he smoked pot and Manningham drops

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
lspain1;2028962 said:
Ice, I have seen major damage done to family members by both alcohol and persistent (heavy) marijuana use, so I have seen both although I became "experienced" in only one of the cases. I'm no medical professional and I don't make any claims to expertise. Lots of bad things happened. Can I precisely lay the blame to an "addiction" to alcohol or marijuana....No....because human beings are far more complex than that. But I am absolutely convinced that both substances were major contributors to highly self destructive behavior in people that had a decent raising.

Many people handle alcohol and marijuana just fine....and some don't. A senior USN officer told me once that there were statistics that showed sailors with a high school diploma generally performed better than those with a GED. The Navy felt that the discipline of graduating was one indicator of performance in evaluating a candidate. The whole legality thing aside, perhaps the NFL has statistics on whether or not marijuana use is an indicator of possible performance problems in candidate NFL athletes.

The only case that I have seen where pot has destroyed families is when one family member is adamantly against it and that causes strife. Other than the fact that its arbitrarily banned i have never seen it cause issues. ie you get arrested or fired because you used not as a result of something you did becaues of said use.

Alcohol kills people and provokes violence. you give me some rum and i become very very mean. give me some of the other and i become very very hungry.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
lspain1;2028962 said:
Ice, I have seen major damage done to family members by both alcohol and persistent (heavy) marijuana use, so I have seen both although I became "experienced" in only one of the cases. I'm no medical professional and I don't make any claims to expertise. Lots of bad things happened. Can I precisely lay the blame to an "addiction" to alcohol or marijuana....No....because human beings are far more complex than that. But I am absolutely convinced that both substances were major contributors to highly self destructive behavior in people that had a decent raising.

Many people handle alcohol and marijuana just fine....and some don't. A senior USN officer told me once that there were statistics that showed sailors with a high school diploma generally performed better than those with a GED. The Navy felt that the discipline of graduating was one indicator of performance in evaluating a candidate. The whole legality thing aside, perhaps the NFL has statistics on whether or not marijuana use is an indicator of possible performance problems in candidate NFL athletes.

i think highly self-descrtructive people will in the end, be highly self-desctructive. if you take away weed, they'll go get alochol. is that better? we both know better. are we so worried about the minority we punish the majority that has no problem with it?

9 people can handle it fine, 1 can't. so instead of worrying about the 1, we say all 10 can't or shouldn't.

like i said - i knew one man who was high 24x7 and held a very professional job and made 6 figures easy. took very good care of his family.

and i've known those who get high and whine their job at wal mart blows chunk monkies but they do nothing to improve themselves. yes weed doesn't help you there, not at all. if you're a lazy bum you'll be a lazy stoned bum.

i think people look to drugs as the cause of personal issues and i see they compound them, but the cause is their own behavior and inability to deal with it.

but good response and i respect where you're coming from on that. thank you.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2028983 said:
The only case that I have seen where pot has destroyed families is when one family member is adamantly against it and that causes strife. Other than the fact that its arbitrarily banned i have never seen it cause issues. ie you get arrested or fired because you used not as a result of something you did becaues of said use.

Alcohol kills people and provokes violence. you give me some rum and i become very very mean. give me some of the other and i become very very hungry.

and when you mix it up you become a passively aggressive. :)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028954 said:
Yep. It was well known that he was an idiot even back then. I remember saying in some "Predict this year's bust" thread that Benson and Pacman were my picks -- Benson because he wasn't very good (and had gotten busted for pot as well) and Pacman because he was trouble.

BTW, good post, lspain. Anytime someone dares criticize someone like Quincy or Talib, a certain group of posters seem to take it personally. I have no idea why.

and i have no idea why you need to critisize anyone who smoked / smokes pot.

i don't take this personally, btw. i have my views, you have yours, we disagree. now we can *make* it personal or we can rationally talk about it. which do you prefer? so far it sounds personal, and i have no idea why.

other than you seem to have a personal problem w/it and that's fine, just not my own view.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Just legalize possession in small amounts like they do in Canada, Western and Southern Australia, Mexico, The Netherlands, Switzerland, etc. and you'd reduce the massive backlog of lame drug-related court cases.
If it doesn't affect his performance/ability, who cares if a player lights up? Get with the times, U. S. of A...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;2029000 said:
If it doesn't affect his performance/ability, who cares if a player lights up?

:banghead:

Roger Goodell cares. That's the point.

Talib does the Cowboys no good if he fails drug tests and can't play.

ethiostar

Reaction score
If someone does nothing else but smoke weed all day everyday, it does create some problems (i.e., lack of motivation and eventually more health problems like lung cancer).

If someone does the same thing with alcohol, it also creates similar motivational problems as well as more serious health problems.

I have known plenty of people who have fallen into both scenerios. It is generally a question of moderation. I also know enough professionals in various sectors who parttake in both activities 'moderately' and have managed to hold a career and be very good family members.

In regards to Talib, the issue is not that he smoked the 'evil' weed but rather he violated a rule that every athlet is supposed to follow. That says something about his committment and where his priorities are at this stage in his life.

It's not even really an issue of 'legality'. there are some over the counter medications that athlets are supposed to stay away from and if they don't they are punished for it. A long time ago i worked at a restaurant that required all it's employees to wear black tennis shoes. Its not because all other shades of tennis shoes are illigal but that was the requirement set by the establishment and anybody who wanted to work there had to abide by thier rules. Simple as that.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Chief;2029004 said:

and therein lies the real issue, like it or not. it's their game, their rules. period. i agree with their right to have this stipulation whether i agree with the stipulation or not.

you want the big bucks, put the bong down. pretty simple.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Chief;2029004 said:

Well, someone give Goodell a blunt or three and maybe he'll come around...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;2029007 said:
Well, someone give Goodell a blunt or three and maybe he'll come around...
Why does this advice always get given? Blunts solve everything?

Excuse me I got to go get my hip waders on because I suspect it's going to get deep around here.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hostile;2029010 said:
Why does this advice always get given? Blunts solve everything?

Excuse me I got to go get my hip waders on because I suspect it's going to get deep around here.

My cousin says they do.....:cool: ;)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Deep apathy, psychomotor retardation (look it up), short term memory loss as well as long term impairment of short and long term memory, depression, yada yada are the problems associated with pot. It is not the type of drug you want a professional athlete on.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jobberone;2029013 said:
Deep apathy, psychomotor retardation (look it up), short term memory loss as well as long term impairment of short and long term memory, depression, yada yada are the problems associated with pot. It is not the type of drug you want a professional athlete on.
He's a Doctor folks. I'd listen.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
jobberone;2029013 said:
Deep apathy...short term memory loss as well as long term impairment of short and long term memory....

So get Goodell to take a toke or 12, and he'll either no longer care about Talib or forget who he is. Problem solved.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The bottom line is, do you really want to invest a first or second round pick and a large signing bonus on a guy who has already shown he has a problem passing drug tests? The Cowboys have taken chances on guys in the past and they don't exactly have a very good track record. I think the Cowboys have learned from their past gambles in the draft, I think I have. I think its best to pass on guys like this. Maybe you make an exception if it was early in their college career but with the cap I don't think its a good idea to gamble on problem players high in the draft.

(edit) Have to say this really sucks too, Talib is probably going to be the best corner available when the Cowboys are picking.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2029012 said:
My cousin says they do.....:cool: ;)
My brother says the same thing to me. Say he's "freer" than I am. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't see it that way. I don't see how huddling in secret in order to get your smoke in is freedom. I don't see how 3 failed marriages and child support payments because pot was more important to him than marriage is freedom. I don't see how dropping out of school 2 months before graduation because no one was going to tell you not to do pot is freedom. I don't see how losing good jobs and settling for lower paying jobs because of failed drug tests is freedom. I don't see how worrying if the guy you're buying from could turn on you is freedom.

Sorry, I don't see where it has ever solved anything for anyone. I find that thinking to be utterly stupid.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
iceberg;2028995 said:
and i have no idea why you need to critisize anyone who smoked / smokes pot.

i don't take this personally, btw. i have my views, you have yours, we disagree. now we can *make* it personal or we can rationally talk about it. which do you prefer? so far it sounds personal, and i have no idea why.

other than you seem to have a personal problem w/it and that's fine, just not my own view.

Tilting at windmills again, ice?

Please go back through this thread and point out where I 1) addressed you, 2) made anything personal against anybody here, or 3) criticized "anyone" who smokes pot.

My issue is with these athletes who smoke when they clearly know they aren't supposed to. Much more talk than that about the general evils or non-evils of pot use are IMO more for the political folder, which is a quagmire I have no interest in entering.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Hostile;2029031 said:

Yeah, I don't see it that way. I don't see how huddling in secret in order to get your smoke in is freedom. I don't see how 3 failed marriages and child support payments because pot was more important to him than marriage is freedom. I don't see how dropping out of school 2 months before graduation because no one was going to tell you not to do pot is freedom. I don't see how losing good jobs and settling for lower paying jobs because of failed drug tests is freedom. I don't see how worrying if the guy you're buying from could turn on you is freedom.

Sorry, I don't see where it has ever solved anything for anyone. I find that thinking to be utterly stupid.

Here's an idea: substitute the word "alcohol" for "pot". Similar physiological and lifestyle consequences to one's person, but one's legal and one isn't. Love the hypocrisy....

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2029031 said:

as far as i know no one ever said it was supposed to solve anything.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hostile;2029031 said:

Sounds like similar thoughts that I have with my cousin, and he is a real pothead. Comes back to the addictive thing, I have talked to him about that, and while it doesn't seem to be as addictive as even cigs, it still seems he can't get away from it.

First thing he always says is that I can drink something and he can smoke something, he can still drive but I couldn't. That alcohol impairs you more. Personally I see his point, but the bigger issue is that pot is just plain illegal right now, and like you say, you have to hide with it. That isn't freedom, that is putting yourself in your own jail cell.