Talib admits he smoked pot and Manningham drops

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
lspain1;2028888 said:
Whenever the subject of pot comes up we seem to have the same (or a very similar) discussion by the usual suspects. My experience with my family is that marijuana, along with alcohol, can be highly destructive to people's lives and should not be treated lightly. My experience tells me that these substances can be destructive, so I fall into the camp that the use of marijuana is a foolish act given all that these talented young athletes have at stake.

I do not believe that the use of marijuana alone should disqualify an athelte for consideration (or ranking) in the draft. However, that use is an indicator, particualrly if there are other signs of "out of control" behavior. NFL teams have to do their homework, and ongoing use of marijuana should be one factor considered in evaluating a player's suitability for drafting when so much money is at stake.

For those of you that believe that pot is never a problem or that pot is somehow better than alcohol, I will simply state that, in my exerience, you are wrong. I may not change your opinion....but you will never change mine.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

joseephuss

Reaction score
superpunk;2028883 said:
75 years ago yesterday, we witnessed the end (kinda) of prohibition. (not "we", per se...)

This weekend we raise a pint to celebrate that joyous occasion.

Hopefully in our lifetime we'll be able to raise a joint in similar celebration, and just do away with all this nonsense.

More to the point, we should probably stay away from players that are admitting to being a risk like Talib. NFL teams might have known that about Jones and Henry if Rodriguez didn't hide their transgressions so well. Given the current police state of the NFL, it's probably a bad idea to draft players that are admitting to being a suspension risk.

A lot of people already knew about Pacman and Henry when they came out of WVU. There were people on this board(or was it the old board?) warning that Pacman and Henry were trouble.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2028879 said:
wrong you don't know me don't know what college i go to and don't know what your talking about so fall back

follow your own advice, dude.

superpunk

Reaction score
joseephuss;2028900 said:
A lot of people already knew about Pacman and Henry when they came out of WVU. There were people on this board(or was it the old board?) warning that Pacman and Henry were trouble.

I don't think the full extent made it out there pre-draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;2028900 said:

Jeff Fisher and Tenn knew about these problems and admitted they were taking a chance on him when they drafted him but they knew of Pacmans past.

joseephuss

Reaction score
superpunk;2028902 said:
I don't think the full extent made it out there pre-draft.

Perhaps not all, but enough.

I look at it this way. I knew enough that I did not want Dallas to take a chance on either player. I also know that Dallas and every other franchise knows a whole lot more than me.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
lspain1;2028888 said:
Whenever the subject of pot comes up we seem to have the same (or a very similar) discussion by the usual suspects. My experience with my family is that marijuana, along with alcohol, can be highly destructive to people's lives and should not be treated lightly. My experience tells me that these substances can be destructive, so I fall into the camp that the use of marijuana is a foolish act given all that these talented young athletes have at stake.

I do not believe that the use of marijuana alone should disqualify an athelte for consideration (or ranking) in the draft. However, that use is an indicator, particualrly if there are other signs of "out of control" behavior. NFL teams have to do their homework, and ongoing use of marijuana should be one factor considered in evaluating a player's suitability for drafting when so much money is at stake.

For those of you that believe that pot is never a problem or that pot is somehow better than alcohol, I will simply state that, in my exerience, you are wrong. I may not change your opinion....but you will never change mine.

have you experienced an addiction to both in your own life? alcohol is pretty easy. weed? never known anyone addicted to it per se like alcohol.

in my own experience, it's a personal experience that hardly encompasses the entire summation of smoking OR drinking, or not smoking and drinking.

people hear someone smokes pot, look at all these pacman and chris henry comparisons flying about. it's been my experience that's jumping the gun and making something that could be minor major - out of likely their own experience.

talib - never heard a word about him being a troublemaker at all. but now that he's smoked pot he's pacman and chris henry.

makes no sense to me to automatically link the two.

joseephuss

Reaction score
iceberg;2028908 said:
have you experienced an addiction to both in your own life? alcohol is pretty easy. weed? never known anyone addicted to it per se like alcohol.

in my own experience, it's a personal experience that hardly encompasses the entire summation of smoking OR drinking, or not smoking and drinking.

people hear someone smokes pot, look at all these pacman and chris henry comparisons flying about. it's been my experience that's jumping the gun and making something that could be minor major - out of likely their own experience.

talib - never heard a word about him being a troublemaker at all. but now that he's smoked pot he's pacman and chris henry.

makes no sense to me to automatically link the two.

I agree. I don't think Talib smoking pot equates Henry and Pacman. I haven't researched Talib, so maybe there is more in his past that makes him more like Henry and Pacman, but if it is just pot then that is not enough. The pot is still a big issue. Big enough to pass on the guy.

Marijuana is supposedly non-addictive. That is always something I have wondered about. I think it is addictive, but not in the same way as alcohol or other drugs. I have met several pot smokers that can't quit. Not that they want to quit, but that is part of the addiction. At least from my perspective.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2028887 said:
Ummm, not only rich people do drugs.

If he wants to smoke weed he isn't going to need 'NFL money' to do so.
What does that mean? How did you take my post to say that only rich people do drugs. If he doesn't want to smoke weed he isn't going to need NFL money to do so? Isn't that obvious? I don't understand your post.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
joseephuss;2028911 said:
I agree. I don't think Talib smoking pot equates Henry and Pacman. I haven't researched Talib, so maybe there is more in his past that makes him more like Henry and Pacman, but if it is just pot then that is not enough. The pot is still a big issue. Big enough to pass on the guy.

Marijuana is supposedly non-addictive. That is always something I have wondered about. I think it is addictive, but not in the same way as alcohol or other drugs. I have met several pot smokers that can't quit. Not that they want to quit, but that is part of the addiction. At least from my perspective.

fair enough. it's not addictive but it can be a habit. same thing? not to me but some may make it such. i've known pot smokers that were lazy bums who can't hold a job and they only smoked from time to time. i've known corporate professionals who supported a wife/daughter/son-in-law and did so very well and was stoned from getting up to going to bed.

what concerns me about talib isn't that he smoked pot, it's the risk he put to his career to do so. if he wants that freedom then get into business for himself, find a job where they don't care. the NFL does care, it's their league and they can set the rules, so if you want to be a part of it, follow their rules.

when he goes to an NFL team these decisions he makes will effect the team, not just him as it does now. we're far and away from knowing all the details and i'm ok to wait it out. some want to rail him now.

the ones who want to rail him now from what i've seen so far didn't want him to begin with. they wanted someone else.

so far it's not a big deal to me but something to keep an eye on. what he does in his own time i don't care about but when that private time effects the team, it *is* a flag, like it or not.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
joseephuss;2028896 said:
No, but NFL money will make it easier.
Exactly. if your undisciplined to where you fail more than 2 drug tests when you have money where you can possibly get into more mischief, what else will you be undisplined in? Will you purchase expensive masking agents to hide your addiction? If he didn't care enough to stop after the second positive test, do we expect him to care when he becomes a millionaire? I don't know, hopefully the young man gets it together but do we need yet another project for Calvin Hill to fix when guys like Cason or Flowers will be there?

joseephuss

Reaction score
iceberg;2028921 said:
fair enough. it's not addictive but it can be a habit. same thing? not to me but some may make it such. i've known pot smokers that were lazy bums who can't hold a job and they only smoked from time to time. i've known corporate professionals who supported a wife/daughter/son-in-law and did so very well and was stoned from getting up to going to bed.

what concerns me about talib isn't that he smoked pot, it's the risk he put to his career to do so. if he wants that freedom then get into business for himself, find a job where they don't care. the NFL does care, it's their league and they can set the rules, so if you want to be a part of it, follow their rules.

when he goes to an NFL team these decisions he makes will effect the team, not just him as it does now. we're far and away from knowing all the details and i'm ok to wait it out. some want to rail him now.

the ones who want to rail him now from what i've seen so far didn't want him to begin with. they wanted someone else.

so far it's not a big deal to me but something to keep an eye on. what he does in his own time i don't care about but when that private time effects the team, it *is* a flag, like it or not.

Great points.

Talib smoking pot is not the biggest problem in my opinion. It is a flag, but not the biggest flag. It bothers me more that he gets caught smoking pot. The NCAA and the NFL have pretty easy set ups when it comes to drug testing for marijuana. It is not as if they are extremely strict and are out to get every single pot smoker. They know smoking pot exists and only test for it as a form of appeasement to those that care. They don't really test to end marijuana use for football players. It should be pretty easy to pass the drug tests. If you are getting caught, then you are either very careless, dumb, truly think you are above the rules or just want to get caught. Those kind of qualities are not good.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
joseephuss;2028900 said:

Yep. It was well known that he was an idiot even back then. I remember saying in some "Predict this year's bust" thread that Benson and Pacman were my picks -- Benson because he wasn't very good (and had gotten busted for pot as well) and Pacman because he was trouble.

BTW, good post, lspain. Anytime someone dares criticize someone like Quincy or Talib, a certain group of posters seem to take it personally. I have no idea why.

lspain1

Reaction score
iceberg;2028908 said:

Ice, I have seen major damage done to family members by both alcohol and persistent (heavy) marijuana use, so I have seen both although I became "experienced" in only one of the cases. I'm no medical professional and I don't make any claims to expertise. Lots of bad things happened. Can I precisely lay the blame to an "addiction" to alcohol or marijuana....No....because human beings are far more complex than that. But I am absolutely convinced that both substances were major contributors to highly self destructive behavior in people that had a decent raising.

Many people handle alcohol and marijuana just fine....and some don't. A senior USN officer told me once that there were statistics that showed sailors with a high school diploma generally performed better than those with a GED. The Navy felt that the discipline of graduating was one indicator of performance in evaluating a candidate. The whole legality thing aside, perhaps the NFL has statistics on whether or not marijuana use is an indicator of possible performance problems in candidate NFL athletes.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
lspain1;2028888 said:
Whenever the subject of pot comes up we seem to have the same (or a very similar) discussion by the usual suspects.

Hey, what is your avatar smoking? And don't tell me it is a Phillip Morris.[

image.php

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028954 said:
BTW, good post, lspain. Anytime someone dares criticize someone like Quincy or Talib, a certain group of posters seem to take it personally. I have no idea why.

I have an idea.

superpunk

Reaction score
lspain1;2028962 said:
Ice, I have seen major damage done to family members by both alcohol and persistent (heavy) marijuana use, so I have seen both although I became "experienced" in only one of the cases. I'm no medical professional and I don't make any claims to expertise. Lots of bad things happened. Can I precisely lay the blame to an "addiction" to alcohol or marijuana....No....because human beings are far more complex than that. But I am absolutely convinced that both substances were major contributors to highly self destructive behavior in people that had a decent raising.

Many people handle alcohol and marijuana just fine....and some don't. A senior USN officer told me once that there were statistics that showed sailors with a high school diploma generally performed better than those with a GED. The Navy felt that the discipline of graduating was one indicator of performance in evaluating a candidate. The whole legality thing aside, perhaps the NFL has statistics on whether or not marijuana use is an indicator of possible performance problems in candidate NFL athletes.
Abuse of anything is bad, bro.

If you had a bunch of relatives who couldn't stop eating, and blew their fat ***** up so big that they died of heart disease and respiratory problems, would the wise course of action be to tell people to stop eating food, or to regulate how much food they eat?

It's not that tough a concept.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
joseephuss;2028933 said:
Great points.

Talib smoking pot is not the biggest problem in my opinion. It is a flag, but not the biggest flag. It bothers me more that he gets caught smoking pot. The NCAA and the NFL have pretty easy set ups when it comes to drug testing for marijuana. It is not as if they are extremely strict and are out to get every single pot smoker. They know smoking pot exists and only test for it as a form of appeasement to those that care. They don't really test to end marijuana use for football players. It should be pretty easy to pass the drug tests. If you are getting caught, then you are either very careless, dumb, truly think you are above the rules or just want to get caught. Those kind of qualities are not good.

Yeah, I agree there are ways to get around it and I don't understand why they just don't do that. I mean, Ricky smoked his way out the league and bascially said he wouldn't quit at the time. If I was going to do it, I would at least do everything in my power to try to not get caught with millions on the line. Seems some guys just don't care, and thats a big problem.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028954 said:

I think you know why Lab. Alot of people have done bad things they regret in life and are judged by others for it. Seen in that way, it should be easy to see why some will take harsh judgements personally.