Talib admits he smoked pot and Manningham drops

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2028741 said:
Unless they busted you on campus or at a school event, they wouldnt expel him.
If anything the only way they get caught is via a piss test which no regular student would have to submit to. All kinds of friends of mine up in Austin got popped for this and that and they never were expelled. Now that i think about it a friend of mine got kicked out of Jester for pot and he stayed in school.

The only time a student would get expelled is if they are in a very strict, usually religious school like Campbell or Liberty or if they were busted with pot on campus grounds. And if a student got busted for smoking pot in a dorm, it's likely they would just get banned from the dorm, but still allowed to be enrolled in the school. In fact, the athletes usually have it worse since if they get caught with pot, they could be booted from the team and then lose their scholarship.

Plus, I never thought that smoking pot makes somebody a thug or a bad person.

YAKUZA

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2028632 said:
There are rules in life for every profession. Lots of them. This one is one of the more simple ones. Don't smoke pot. I don't see what's complicated about it. There's no gray area there. If you can't follow something that brain numbingly simple, you're probably not going to be real good at following other rules either. Like show up for practice. Attend offseason workouts. Stay awake during team meetings. Use this technique when playing in this coverage. Alib was suspended at Kansas for breaking other team rules. I don't think it's coincidence that someone like Alib or Chris Henry fails repeated drugs tests and then break other rules and laws too. Someone who repeatedly fails drug tests is someone who either has a problem or someone who doesn't feel like rules apply to him because he's too special.

Exactly. These guys only have a very small list of rules to follow to enjoy a lifestyle better than 99% of us -- but when they won't do that, in the case of pot, we get the usual guys telling us how harmless and widespread pot is.

Well, that doesn't matter. The rules could be against Diet Cokes or oatmeal cookies or anything else, and the bottom line still is that if you're too stupid and/or have so little self-control that you can't stop doing them, you deserve to lose a ton of money and respect.

What makes me mad about these guys is that high-profile athletes at major schools have all kinds of advisers and mentors at their disposal that the average person would never have access to, and they STILL can't do what they know to be the right thing.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2028633 said:
What!??!?! QC did drugs...I just don't believe it...

cowquincy.jpg

---Thanks for giving me an excuse to post a picture that always makes me laugh.

It always makes me laugh, too.

I always hear the theme song to "Sanford & Son" when I see that picture.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028816 said:
Exactly. These guys only have a very small list of rules to follow to enjoy a lifestyle better than 99% of us -- but when they won't do that, in the case of pot, we get the usual guys telling us how harmless and widespread pot is.

Well, that doesn't matter. The rules could be against Diet Cokes or oatmeal cookies or anything else, and the bottom line still is that if you're too stupid and/or have so little self-control that you can't stop doing them, you deserve to lose a ton of money and respect.

What makes me mad about these guys is that high-profile athletes at major schools have all kinds of advisers and mentors at their disposal that the average person would never have access to, and they STILL can't do what they know to be the right thing.

and when someone admits to smoking pot you get the same set of people running around saying how that's going to ruin the entire free world.

a bit of an exagguration? yes. did i follow your lead? yes.

i've also said time and again ANY athlete is stupid for doing this and risking the life you speak of. but unless you were not talking to me (and i am one of the more vocal people on the *other* side of this so yes, i'm making assumptions) i have also said how stupid it is for them to do "in their position".

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028816 said:

Dear Sgt. Stedenko:

I hope I and some of these Stoners, I mean, Zoners, did not give the impression it is harmless.

It is not harmless!

It can make you put on bulk from getting the munchies.
It can make you love rock, hip-hop, jazz and other dangerous forms of music. (Look what it did to Gene Krupa!)
It can make you laid-back instead of training to be an All-American cage fighter
It can make you expand your cultural horizons (iffin my daddy liked bowling, then that it is fine enuff for me!)
It can make you see sunsets and sunrises in a different glow
It can make you thirsty and then eeek! want to drink a Shiner beer.
It can make you write long love letters to your sweetie pie.
And it costs a lot of money.

I agree, it is a very bad thing and thanks for implying and for making us infer that.
(Please let me know if there are rewards for turning people in. I think my cousin smokes pot and I want to turn him in.)

Best wishes,
a fellow straight arrow

FCBarca

Reaction score
iceberg;2028554 said:
i'm right there with you. so he smoked pot 3 times. 3 whole times, or did he not inhale?

don't we all have "bad boy" years? how many people here want their college life brought back up and thrown in their face?

if he falls cause he smoked pot 3 whole times, i hope he falls to us. now if it's him over cason, i know how passionate hos is over cason, i just see talib rated higher but that's just online ratings.

non-issue to me. but then again i don't understand why best buy has to advertise their employes are drug-tested. do i really give a flip what some barely over minimum wage person did last night and how badly it messed up cd's being put on the shelves.

Seriously...It's weed...Come on, hardly a reason to label a player a 'problem'...However, if there are other issues or disciplinary ones, then, of course caveat empor :cool:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
FCBarca;2028850 said:
Seriously...It's weed...Come on, hardly a reason to label a player a 'problem'...

Is it a problem if he tests positive and is suspended?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
FCBarca;2028850 said:
Seriously...It's weed...Come on, hardly a reason to label a player a 'problem'...However, if there are other issues or disciplinary ones, then, of course caveat empor :cool:

that's how i feel. some people seem to equate smoking pot to being a thug or bad guy. period. i don't see it like that.

where i agree is that it *is* the rule for these athletes and they're stupid for putting millions at risk for a temporary high.

but i don't see someone smoking pot and suddenly slap every other negative connotation to them that i can, like saying they're now chris henry.

doing pot does NOT lead to doing stronger drugs. the desire to do drugs does that.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
My main thing is if you have little to no self control now what will you do when you have the money. How does a person get caught on 3 searate occasions. That's almost unheard of. If he was caught 3 times you know he is a major weed head. Not knocking pot smokers( I use to indulge a lil back in the day) but if I had already failed 2 tests, you can betch your *** they won't ever catch me again unless I am a complete idiot. I wonder if Kansas provided him with any help to beat his addiction because lets be real, thats what it is.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2028777 said:
some people just make stuff up to fit their views/story cause they've not learned that's it's ok to be wrong in life, or to simply sit and learn.

wrong you don't know me don't know what college i go to and don't know what your talking about so fall back

theogt;2028760 said:
LOL @ the idea that a college would kick a student out for smoking pot. A COLLEGE.

yes because your at college your allowed to smoke weed its no longer illegal

iceberg;2028745 said:
and i know people who've been caught but haven't been kicked out. not college anyway. i hope you're not going back to high school to make this comparison.

in texas you can get caught with up to 2oz and it's a misdemeanor. laws are stepping back but yes, still a law. how many times do people get kicked out of school and prevented from working a job they're otherwise qualified for after committing a whopping misdemeanor?

some people simply overreact because they seem to think that watching reefer maddness is close to reality.

in jersey im pretty sure thats a felony getting caught with 2 oz and you would have the intent to distrupt and you would have possesion in a school each state has different laws remember that.

FuzzyLumpkins;2028741 said:
Unless they busted you on campus or at a school event, they wouldnt expel him.
If anything the only way they get caught is via a piss test which no regular student would have to submit to. All kinds of friends of mine up in Austin got popped for this and that and they never were expelled. Now that i think about it a friend of mine got kicked out of Jester for pot and he stayed in school.

Na my school is different if you get busted on some off campus stuff you still get into trouble like getting arrested and stuff its called a code of conduct and even though your not on school grounds you still represent the school.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2028879 said:
yes because your at college your allowed to smoke weed its no longer illegal
What does that have to do with anything? You said that most people would kicked out of college for it. That's just not true.

Oh, nevermind. There's no sense even attempting a conversation with you.

superpunk

Reaction score
75 years ago yesterday, we witnessed the end (kinda) of prohibition. (not "we", per se...)

This weekend we raise a pint to celebrate that joyous occasion.

Hopefully in our lifetime we'll be able to raise a joint in similar celebration, and just do away with all this nonsense.

More to the point, we should probably stay away from players that are admitting to being a risk like Talib. NFL teams might have known that about Jones and Henry if Rodriguez didn't hide their transgressions so well. Given the current police state of the NFL, it's probably a bad idea to draft players that are admitting to being a suspension risk.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I would think anyone who equates smoking pot to being a thug really doesn't know a lot of people from different walks of life.

Shooting someone in a robbery attempt, that's a thug no matter which way you look at it.

Packing a bowl or rolling up a joint is not the same thing.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2028877 said:
My main thing is if you have little to no self control now what will you do when you have the money. How does a person get caught on 3 searate occasions. That's almost unheard of. If he was caught 3 times you know he is a major weed head. Not knocking pot smokers( I use to indulge a lil back in the day) but if I had already failed 2 tests, you can betch your *** they won't ever catch me again unless I am a complete idiot. I wonder if Kansas provided him with any help to beat his addiction because lets be real, thats what it is.

Ummm, not only rich people do drugs.

If he wants to smoke weed he isn't going to need 'NFL money' to do so.

lspain1

Reaction score
Whenever the subject of pot comes up we seem to have the same (or a very similar) discussion by the usual suspects. My experience with my family is that marijuana, along with alcohol, can be highly destructive to people's lives and should not be treated lightly. My experience tells me that these substances can be destructive, so I fall into the camp that the use of marijuana is a foolish act given all that these talented young athletes have at stake.

I do not believe that the use of marijuana alone should disqualify an athelte for consideration (or ranking) in the draft. However, that use is an indicator, particualrly if there are other signs of "out of control" behavior. NFL teams have to do their homework, and ongoing use of marijuana should be one factor considered in evaluating a player's suitability for drafting when so much money is at stake.

For those of you that believe that pot is never a problem or that pot is somehow better than alcohol, I will simply state that, in my exerience, you are wrong. I may not change your opinion....but you will never change mine.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2028886 said:
I would think anyone who equates smoking pot to being a thug really does many people from different walks of life.

Shooting someone in a robbery attempt, that's a thug no matter which way you look at it.

Packing a bowl or rolling up a joint is not the same thing.

I would agree they are not thugs for smoking weed just stupid for testing positive more than once. To me it goes back to what that player finds more important. Getting High or playing ball? his choice but you can't do both. I think something like this may cost them in the draft but they will get drafted

joseephuss

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2028887 said:
Ummm, not only rich people do drugs.

If he wants to smoke weed he isn't going to need 'NFL money' to do so.

No, but NFL money will make it easier.