Talked to an ex-Parcells player last night

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
panchucko;1249121 said:
Did you notice if he had his ring on?

As for not asking permission to put his name on a public board, why would you have to?

basically it's called respect.

not enough people have it for others, it seems. but they can tend to damn sure demand it for themselves.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Erik_H;1249136 said:
It's not a matter of "being allowed to" Its a matter of respect for a fellow human being, who may or may not want to have a random conversation attibuting quotes directly to him.

I'm fine with not knowing.

:hammer:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just to add my 2 nickles, since I'm avoiding this thing called work. It's more about this particular poster. He's a regular enough poster to where he's established a lil board cred. This cred allows many members to not get too up in arms about the need for him to prove that something did or did not occur or who said what and when.

Granted it does leave your curiousity unsatiated, but I'll take his word on it and move on.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1249205 said:
Just to add my 2 nickles, since I'm avoiding this thing called work. It's more about this particular poster. He's a regular enough poster to where he's established a lil board cred. This cred allows many members to not get too up in arms about the need for him to prove that something did or did not occur or who said what and when.

Granted it does leave your curiousity unsatiated, but I'll take his word on it and move on.

as always,WG,is the voice of reason.:bow:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am sorry but this entire notion of 'respect' is pretty misplaced in my mind. I just do not buy the idea that whoever this mystery player would get upset if he read this board and saw that his name was connected with a comment that is so obviously vanilla. Really when it comes down to it if the guy were to get upset then he would get upset that the converstaion was brought up in the first palce

I would hope to think that this man is not one that is attempting to hide. Its not as if your story promotes pseudoceleb harrasment. It was a brief conversation at halftime and as Bear said it would have been made much more interesting had we simply been given a name.

Board cred or not its pretty weak.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
That is exactly why nobody wants to post anything like that on a gossip board. Without fail, there'll be some banana head throwing a tantrum because you can't or won't quote a "source" or name. Almost as common are the posters who immediately post: "link???". It reminds me of a movie my little girl has called finding nemo...if you get a chance watch for the pelicans and see who they remind you of:rolleyes:
If you have a problem with the guy not naming his "source", don't read gossip boards (aka forums)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1249255 said:
I am sorry but this entire notion of 'respect' is pretty misplaced in my mind. I just do not buy the idea that whoever this mystery player would get upset if he read this board and saw that his name was connected with a comment that is so obviously vanilla. Really when it comes down to it if the guy were to get upset then he would get upset that the converstaion was brought up in the first palce

I would hope to think that this man is not one that is attempting to hide. Its not as if your story promotes pseudoceleb harrasment. It was a brief conversation at halftime and as Bear said it would have been made much more interesting had we simply been given a name.

it's not a matter of hiding, it's a matter of not wanting to get into it with every numbnuts out there who thinks that they must get in the face of everyone they don't agree with.

the guy talked while at a sporting event - he didn't open his life up for fuzzy lumpin dorks to call him on it and demand THEIR version of respect.

geez people WHAT THE HELL DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

believe the poster or don't - but stop the damn whining.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
iceberg;1249265 said:
it's not a matter of hiding, it's a matter of not wanting to get into it with every numbnuts out there who thinks that they must get in the face of everyone they don't agree with.

the guy talked while at a sporting event - he didn't open his life up for fuzzy lumpin dorks to call him on it and demand THEIR version of respect.

geez people WHAT THE HELL DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

believe the poster or don't - but stop the damn whining.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

I love it when Ice posts .... you crack me up bro!

CooterBrown

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1249075 said:
Who was he?

Hmm, Let me see.......

1. Posted by WVCowboy.
2. Jeff Hostetler played at WVU.
3. "Hoss" also played for Parcells with the Giants when they won a superbowl.

Could be, but I'm with the majority on this one; It really doesn't matter who it was, and I think it is a good idea to treat a former NFL player like you would like to be treated if the roles were reversed. He's watching a basketball game and wouldn't want Parcells to have to answer press-conference questions about a quote from a former player.

Aikbach

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1249436 said:
Speaking of former Parcells' guys, why hasn't old Jim Burt been on the sidelines lately?
Because they might have to start paying him. I imagine Kacy Rogers would start to get kinda' weirded out that someone is coaching his players when he's supposed to, he probably just hasn't been asked to be present.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Heheheh, you are probably right. Anyway, Parcells hasn't looked ready to commit suicide lately so no need for Burt to be there.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
you guys have no respect for privacy....you justify that they wouldn't care for no reason other than satisfying your own pathetic curiousity. it's disgusting.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1249255 said:

I know a ton of former players who are in investment groups and we build for them. I would never name them on any message bored. Hell this is probably the first time on this forum I have ever even mentioned knowing them, because of guys like you. WV had a conversation with a human. Out of respect he decided not to name the guy, big deal.

Like Ice said, choose to believe him or not. Simple really.

lshaver22

Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1248779 said:
I don't mean any offense by this, but why would you not name the player, I mean seriously, what's the big secret? It just seems so disingenuous when people put up posts like this.

No need to identify the person. He did the correct thing.
I am a reporter and I won't identify a person by name for any article unless:
-I have represented myself as a reporter.
-They know that I'm working on a story about xx (whatever the subject) is.

(The bad thing is if the person disagrees and if you work for a news organization that doesn't allow anonymous sources, you won't be able to use this person in your story).

It's unfair to the ex player to probe (though probe could be a strong word, considering he sounded quite respectful) him for information and post (or publish) it on a message board without identifying that you are doing so. It wouldn't be tolerated in the newsrooms I've worked in. And even though this is an Internet message board, it shouldn't be tolerated here either.

To me, that's the problem with a lot of message boards and blogs. You've got people posting things that can be read by (and influence) large audiences yet they have no idea what proper rules of attribution are or how to verify information.

In this case, the poster handled it correctly.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
lshaver22;1249540 said:
No need to identify the person. He did the correct thing.
I am a reporter and I won't identify a person by name for any article unless:
-I have represented myself as a reporter.
-They know that I'm working on a story about xx (whatever the subject) is.

(The bad thing is if you work for a news organization that doesn't allow anonymous sources, you won't be able to use this person in your story).

It's unfair to the ex player to probe (though probe could be a strong word, considering he sounded quite respectful) him for information and post (or publish) it on a message board without identifying that you are doing so. It wouldn't be tolerated in the newsrooms I've worked in. And even though this is an Internet message board, it shouldn't be tolerated here either.

To me, that's the problem with a lot of message boards and blogs. You've got people posting things that can be read by (and influence) large audiences yet they have no idea what proper rules of attribution are or how to verify information.

In this case, the poster handled it correctly.

whoah - an ethical journalist. : ) my minor in college and yea, there are just ways you conduct yourself and ways you don't. some people want respect they'll simply never give and that gets old.

i do agree - it's too simple for anyone and everyone to write and should LOOK AT ME!!! now and they're willing to use techniques most won't for basic ethics 101.

^5 to ya man.

DipChit

Reaction score
I once sat and chatted with an ex-Cowboys HC for a few minutes at a Resort out west.. about things past and current to the era.

Course we didnt talk TO cause the player was still in High School at the time.

I'm not gonna say who the person I talked to was.. but there might be a hint here somewhere. ;)