Talked to an ex-Parcells player last night

Jay

Reaction score
There's a HUGE, HUGE difference between posting on an internet message board and writing something that will be published in a newspaper. One of the reasons that you don't use a person's name if they say it's off the record or don't want to be attributed to the quotes/information they're telling you. Now, as one of the above posters said, it's up to the editor whether to allow a reporter to use an anonymous source.

Now, here's the problem.. the whole reason behind this is to watch out for libel. Newspapers can be practically put out of business or just plain sued for libelous content in their articles.

The information told by us can't be constructed to be stated in a libelous form, in my opinion. Now, as I said, on a personal note it's all up to WV whether to tell us or not, and that's his right. But to somehow misconstrue the point of "respect" or being "ethical" while telling a story of some sorts, well, is incorrect.

Not trying to argue here, just saying that this does not fall under a reporter's duty and is a completely different situation. If the original source of the information didn't want a fan to know about it, then he wouldn't have said anything at all. It was in a public forum, even where people around could probably hear things being said if they wanted to, so there would really be nothing wrong with it.

But again, thanks for the info WV.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Personally the story means absolutely nothing without a name.

We are talking about a Cowboys message board not ESPN.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Jay;1250017 said:
There's a HUGE, HUGE difference between posting on an internet message board and writing something that will be published in a newspaper. One of the reasons that you don't use a person's name if they say it's off the record or don't want to be attributed to the quotes/information they're telling you. Now, as one of the above posters said, it's up to the editor whether to allow a reporter to use an anonymous source.

Now, here's the problem.. the whole reason behind this is to watch out for libel. Newspapers can be practically put out of business or just plain sued for libelous content in their articles.

The information told by us can't be constructed to be stated in a libelous form, in my opinion. Now, as I said, on a personal note it's all up to WV whether to tell us or not, and that's his right. But to somehow misconstrue the point of "respect" or being "ethical" while telling a story of some sorts, well, is incorrect.

Not trying to argue here, just saying that this does not fall under a reporter's duty and is a completely different situation. If the original source of the information didn't want a fan to know about it, then he wouldn't have said anything at all. It was in a public forum, even where people around could probably hear things being said if they wanted to, so there would really be nothing wrong with it.

But again, thanks for the info WV.

however, there is no difference in the respect you're trying to show. if you need a name for a warm fuzzy, go make one up and be happy - but quit giving someone grief for their trying to be polite to someone.

Jay

Reaction score
I'm not giving him grief, I just said there's a huge difference between publishing a story for a newspaper and posting a story on a message board.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
This is absolutely insane. Believe him or not, that's a person's perogative, but don't complain about it, just shut up and move along.

If people would stop screaming BS BS BS at every little tidbit, quite a few posters would share a lot more information they know publicly rather than opening themselves up for an attack by the uninformed the way it is now.

Great nuggets are shared here every day via PM rather than on the open board and a great many posters miss out on ever knowing about them thanks to this sort of witchhunt mentality.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Jay;1250083 said:
I'm not giving him grief, I just said there's a huge difference between publishing a story for a newspaper and posting a story on a message board.

you see the sharks out for a name?

why is that?

cause they wanna dive in and be wads of waste.

why give them ammo?

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1250107 said:
This is absolutely insane. Believe him or not, that's a person's perogative, but don't complain about it, just shut up and move along.

If people would stop screaming BS BS BS at every little tidbit, quite a few posters would share a lot more information they know publicly rather than opening themselves up for an attack by the uninformed the way it is now.

Great nuggets are shared here every day via PM rather than on the open board and a great many posters miss out on ever knowing about them thanks to this sort of witchhunt mentality.

Agree 100%. Great post.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1250107 said:

What? Who? How come........am I on everyones ignore list?

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
I think people have a right to question the validity of the post.
If the alleged conversation did indeed take place (I'm not saying it didn't), then it seems to support the overall agenda that WVcowboy has expressed in many of his posts. That could just be a strange coincidence, I don't know. That, coupled with the fact that West Virginia didn't play last night...

Ok, so I like controversy. Sorry to stir the pot WV, I just find the post...interesting.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Fan Since 77;1250345 said:
I think people have a right to question the validity of the post.
If the alleged conversation did indeed take place (I'm not saying it didn't), then it seems to support the overall agenda that WVcowboy has expressed in many of his posts. That could just be a strange coincidence, I don't know. That, coupled with the fact that West Virginia didn't play last night...

Ok, so I like controversy. Sorry to stir the pot WV, I just find the post...interesting.

ok, then all you I MUST HAVE A NAME FOR YOUR POST TO BE VALID idiots...

i talked to bill parcells last night and he said xyzabc123 and stuff.

then i ran into barry switzer at the store, isn't that cute, he buys low fat milk!

i was sitting in my living room watching some basketball when lawrence taylor came in! would you believe my luck! we sat and talked parcells for a few hours and he gave me his brain dump!!!!

there. you got your damn names - now is what i said suddenly true?

as you like to point out - this IS a message board - you either believe the person or you don't, but their adding some name onto it doesn't suddenly make it 100% sure that it happened, does it? if so then i need to go get LT out of my pop tarts.

i swear some people just insist in redefining stupidity and taking it to levels a single word was never meant to go.

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
iceberg;1250355 said:
ok, then all you I MUST HAVE A NAME FOR YOUR POST TO BE VALID idiots...

i talked to bill parcells last night and he said xyzabc123 and stuff.

then i ran into barry switzer at the store, isn't that cute, he buys low fat milk!

i was sitting in my living room watching some basketball when lawrence taylor came in! would you believe my luck! we sat and talked parcells for a few hours and he gave me his brain dump!!!!

there. you got your damn names - now is what i said suddenly true?

as you like to point out - this IS a message board - you either believe the person or you don't, but their adding some name onto it doesn't suddenly make it 100% sure that it happened, does it? if so then i need to go get LT out of my pop tarts.

i swear some people just insist in redefining stupidity and taking it to levels a single word was never meant to go.

Did I ever mention in my post I needed names? My reasons for doubt obviously go beyond your comprehension. Get back to me when you pass reading comprehension 101.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1249436 said:
Speaking of former Parcells' guys, why hasn't old Jim Burt been on the sidelines lately?

I thought I saw Burt in the Saints or Atlanta game, but just briefly walking beside Parcells on the sideline.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
For all of those that question the validity of my original post, and are suggesting that I fabricated the conversation & story, ... would it have made it more valid had I "fabricated" a name ? :rolleyes:

How would a name verify to you that this was true or not ?

Think about it.

Who is to say that this guy is right about any of his opinions anyways ?

I just thought it was cool to get to talk to someone who knew Parcells so I asked him, and shared it here.

Nice to know some appreciated it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1250719 said:
For all of those that question the validity of my original post, and are suggesting that I fabricated the conversation & story, ... would it have made it more valid had I "fabricated" a name ? :rolleyes:

Think about it.

I just thought it was cool to get to talk to someone who knew Parcells so I asked him, and shared it here.

Just say it was Bob Mrosko, confuse everyone and move on.;)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread.

To be honest, for every former player of Bill that believes one way, I am sure there are several that have the exact opposite opinion.

- Mike G.

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1250719 said:

Think about it.

I don't need names. I'm just curious what basketball game you were both at. Surely you could reveal that...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Fan Since 77;1250365 said:
Did I ever mention in my post I needed names? My reasons for doubt obviously go beyond your comprehension. Get back to me when you pass reading comprehension 101.

the reason people are questioning the validity of the post is because he didn't put a name to the story. NOW - comprehension would say that putting a name to it would enhance the credibility and since the entire thread is about whether he should fess up a name or not *to be credible* then...

nevermind. nothing you do seems to go beyond my comprehension but it sure does bypass my apathy.