Recommended Talkin Cowboys 08.05 (nate newton)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he can get up the field, but he is strong enough to hold the point against the run. He says this teams disruption is going to come from the inside not the outside. They dont have a player on the outside who can just pin his ears back and get after the QB. But on the inside Melton and Crawford would have the shortest distance to the QB. He then goes into talking about Jerome Brown. Eagles player who died. And said it all started with him inside. when he died, even Reggie Whites sacks went down in Philly.

Interesting. So he wasn't just talking about pass rush situations. I have to say, I haven't thought of that much. I wonder how effective Crawford might be in a rotation inside? We've got several players who can share the LDE snaps. (Selvie, Gardener, Spencer, eventually). I wonder how much push we might be able to get inside and then blitzing. Probably not enough. But it might be interesting to try out until we get Lawrence back and have at least a semblance of a threat from his end. I don't have a lot of faith in anybody else we're likely to trot out at RDE until he's back. Yes, I know Lawrence is a rookie, but he's really our only credible threat on the field from that spot.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He says this teams disruption is going to come from the inside not the outside. They dont have a player on the outside who can just pin his ears back and get after the QB.

Never seen a successful pass rushing team doing it this way though. It starts outside and the inside is a bonus.

Every defense Marinelli has ever been associated that was worth anything had the RDE and 3-T.

This might be a change up to somehow get by until Lawrence gets back, but this was hardly the design initially.

At any rate, unless he is going to do some very unconventional things with the tackles and use a lot of under shifts and stunts, I do not see how this would work for more than a game or two.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Note, another former player high on Crawford. Either a lot of guys or blind, or there's a lot of buzz on him from the coaches. But's it's more validation that people who watch him more than we do think he can play well enough that they don't mind going on the record with it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never seen a successful pass rushing team doing it this way though. It starts outside and the inside is a bonus.

Every defense Marinelli has ever been associated that was worth anything had the RDE and 3-T.

This might be a change up to somehow get by until Lawrence gets back, but this was hardly the design initially.

At any rate, unless he is going to do some very unconventional things with the tackles and use a lot of under shifts and stunts, I do not see how this would work for more than a game or two.

I actually think this was sort of the plan had we gone with Shazier. Blitzing the WIL behind the 3-tech. I mean, that's not the same thing we're talking about here, but conceptually it's similar with the pressure coming up the middle.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He would've taken over based on what information? He only had 10 tackles last year and the Texans didnt even tender him a RFA offer which is peanuts. What has he done?

Agreed. McClain's past isn't inspiring. There's a host of guys that could end up being the starting 1 technique DT.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
• OL is great, so technically sound.

• If this OL jells, you can see something happening with this team this yr. Because if you control the game you take it out of the other teams hand.

• IN critical moments of the game you have to tell Romo this is what we want to run. stick to it and trust.

• When Reggie White came to Dallas he was reduced to a regular player when he went up against Erik Williams..

I do not trust the defense. But this should tell you something. Nate is a country boy and talks like one. But he knows his business when it comes to the OL.

Romo needs to trust the running game, and the coaches need to use the running game. Take the other team out of the game.

Tawney88

Reaction score
I do not truth the defense. But this should tell you something. Nate is a country boy and talks like one. But he knows his business when it comes to the OL.

Romo needs to trust the running game, and the coaches need to use the running game. Take the other team out of the game.

Best way to help the defense is keep them off the field. :)

Run the ball

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Some of you guys are too settled in on this "one DT must rush passer, one must occupy blockers" shtick. This isn't the 3-4 where your linemen have assigned OL to hold up. This is Marinelli's 4-3 where all DL are coached to attack and get upfield. If Melton can get consistent pressure its a big boost, if Melton AND Crawford get consistent pressure up the middle together, it's defense defining. In the nickel and dime defense this could be absolutely huge.

Embrace the idea guys. Don't be so stuck in "this way or that way is right."

texbumthelife

Reaction score

You mean other than every one of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer teams right?

Alexander

Reaction score
Some of you guys are too settled in on this "one DT must rush passer, one must occupy blockers" shtick. This isn't the 3-4 where your linemen have assigned OL to hold up. This is Marinelli's 4-3 where all DL are coached to attack and get upfield. If Melton can get consistent pressure its a big boost, if Melton AND Crawford get consistent pressure up the middle together, it's defense defining. In the nickel and dime defense this could be absolutely huge.

Embrace the idea guys. Don't be so stuck in "this way or that way is right."

If you can show me a strong pass rushing defense that has accomplished anything with this all interior pressure with nobodies outside design, please clue me in.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you can show me a strong pass rushing defense that has accomplished anything with this all interior pressure with nobodies outside design, please clue me in.

Nobody want's nobodies by design, but what about last year's Bengals...with Carlos Dunlap (2nd, 2010) and Wallace Gilberry (UDFA, '08) outside and Geno Atkins and Domata Peko in the middle? Dunlap's obviously a good player, but that pressure in CIN works from the outside in.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
If you really want to help the defense, then score points early and often so the opposing offense has to become one dimensional.

I hear you, Mike, but that didn't exactly hold true against GB last year. You still have to be able to stop that one dimension. Not sure if we can.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear you, Mike, but that didn't exactly hold true against GB last year. You still have to be able to stop that one dimension. Not sure if we can.

Yep. That's the problem. If they can pass at will on you, you can't get far enough ahead to run out the games.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Rice was there as Sapp was on the decline. Sapp never had double digits sacks in TB after Rice got there. He was clearly in decline mode, which was why they brought in Rice--to try and take some pressue off of him.

Anthony McFarland was tasked with getting upfield WITH Sapp, not sitting back and eating blockers so Sapp could get upfield.

I never said a single word about not needing pressure from the outside. All I said was, it is not necessary to define DT's in that way. I said NOTHING about the outside. I said ALL defensive lineman are tasked with getting upfield.

Im not gonna argue with you, once again, about something I never even said, that you decided to pounce on.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

True.

An opposing offense could have been no-dimensional last season and the Cowboy defense still wouldn't have had a chance.

Alexander

Reaction score
Nobody want's nobodies by design, but what about last year's Bengals...with Carlos Dunlap (2nd, 2010) and Wallace Gilberry (UDFA, '08) outside and Geno Atkins and Domata Peko in the middle? Dunlap's obviously a good player, but that pressure in CIN works from the outside in.

Well, you answered the whole concern. Selvie and especially Mincey are not in Dunlap's class. In fact, I think Gilberry is pretty close to the pair of them, if not more active but he was not a starter. They had a dynamic end in Michael Johnson last year. That kind of affects things.