Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

kskboys

Reaction score
Ryan Leaf?
Lawrence is reminiscent of Justin Herbort, Andrew Luck, Mahomes. That's the type of talent he has.

RGIII was a runner w/ a strong arm who couldn't pass consistently at an NFL level. Lawrence is already an awesome passer. Only question is whether he can to it at an NFL level. All signs point toward yes.

Ringo88

Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence doesn't do anything with this offensive line and defense. We would waste his first 3-4 years in the league. We have Dak, go get O Line and all defense.

Get rid of Jaylon, maybe trade zeke, but our focus should be on Offensive line and Defense. DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
How about we stop drafting on offense for once? That’s why our defense is as putrid as it is. Start spending first round picks on defense. Then we’ll start winning games. We need at least a average defense to win.
Also, stop busting on defensive selections, they have drafted some and they either have mental or health issues or flat out just suck!

cern

Reaction score
Except we KNOW Dak can perform at a high level in the NFL. As eye catching as Lawrence’s physical tools are, we don’t know how he transitions to the NFL. He does have some warts that make me concerned. Granted I like him as a prospect. However, Dak’s injury is the main thing that would make me consider him if we somehow are in a position to draft him. If it wasn’t for that I’d not draft him with Prescott on the roster.
As i stated, it is a business decision. Keeping dak means losing some supporting cast. The funds are limited so they must be dispersed wisely. I like dak. But if Lawrence was ours for the taking I'd be on him like a chicken on a june bug.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Oh i agree. But at least Dak was moving the football. Dalton had 50 yards at half.

There you go. So we're way worse than we were last year when the Jets beat us.

Now you don't even get Dalton. You get DiNucci.

This kid better gets those ribs plated with Titanium.

His throwing motion isn't going to matter.

Hell they're sending guys right at Zeke now 10 yards out since theirs no one else back there important enough to smash around.

Qcard

Reaction score
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.
Dak Prescott seriously has your mind regressing into imbecility.

3 weeks ago @CATCH17 told us Andy Dalton was an Upgrade over Dakota Prescott

70-63-1 Career Record
0 - 4 Play-offs
6-20-1 Primetime Games
121 Career Ints
14 Career Picks 6

Today, @CATCH17 tells us Ben DiNucci (whom I said should start the second Dak's season was over) should be the sacrificial lamb for Trevor Lawrence

We wonder why most NFL Fans think Cowboy fans are delusional.......Prime example above!!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
We can sign Dak for 40 million a year and draft a defensive player. But it will get us nowhere.

We can maybe build a good solid team over time but this is the equivalent of the Chiefs passing on Mahomes because they needed defense.

Lawrence has potential to be an electric franchise changing player.

Continuing with Dak and paying him 40 million I think locks us into being a mediocre team for 3 seasons at least.
Who said Dak was asking for 40 million?

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Lawrence will not fix our team.

We need to basically draft an entire defense. Who do we have on defense other than Diggs (I see potential) that is worth keeping?

We need new starters on defense. In my opinion, that is what we need to focus on this offseason.

Ren

Reaction score
And even if they did. Trade back down and get a DEFENSIVE stud. We have a QB. Unfortunately this poster looks absolutely ridiculous now that his whole "Dalton is just as good as Dak" take has been blown to bits hes now saying we need to draft Trevor. If you're QB judgement is to be the benchmark and your Dalton take was legitimate. I dont want this team making ANY decisions based on your ideas. In fact I would like them to do the complete opposite because you sir have NO IDEA what you are talking about when it comes to football or the QB position.

We’re not going to turn this around by giving Dak 35mill a year when the cap is expected to drop and I really like Dak, but reality is if we pay him we won’t have the resources to do much about the rest of the roster.

The OL needs to be rebuild
Our entire secondary is a joke
We need better LBs and our DL is crap

we would be able to address a lot of this if we had a QB on a rookie contract specially, if we shed some of the other bad contracts. By signing Dak long term we just drag this mess out longer than it needs to

I like Dak but we’re not a few players away from competing when we’re talking about what to do with our top 5 pick

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
As i stated, it is a business decision. Keeping dak means losing some supporting cast. The funds are limited so they must be dispersed wisely. I like dak. But if Lawrence was ours for the taking I'd be on him like a chicken on a june bug.

Stop with the excuse.

We made Romo the richest NFL player ever...yet by 2016, as many here claims, Dak Prescott "was handed a Championship Roster...probably the best ever roster in the NFL!!!"

Dak is not even asking to be the richest player in NFL history.

We were able to give Romo his money...and give him such an amazing Roster, that, again according to many here, "a 4th round terrible rookie QB was made to look far better than he really was."

Did for Romo...do it for Dak. No excuses.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Lawrence will not fix our team.

We need to basically draft an entire defense. Who do we have on defense other than Diggs (I see potential) that is worth keeping?

We need new starters on defense. In my opinion, that is what we need to focus on this offseason.
It's a win-win. Sign Dak and the 1st 3 rounds of picks are all day 1 starters on defense. Draft Lawrence and the cap hit (Lawrence deal vs a 2nd franchise tag) will save almost 30 million dollars so you can sign real defensive starters, not late free agency bargin bins + you still have all your other picks

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
You think dak is signing for less than $40MM? That was the rate this year, will only go up as the cap does.
Pay attention. Dak wasn't asking for 40 million.

As far as we all can semi- assume......it was contract duration. Not 40 million.

That's the point.

Half truths to bolster an agenda seems to be the norm around here.

Sad really.......

phildadon86

Reaction score
We’re not going to turn this around by giving Dak 35mill a year when the cap is expected to drop and I really like Dak, but reality is if we pay him we won’t have the resources to do much about the rest of the roster.

we would be able to address a lot of this if we had a QB on a rookie contract specially, if we shed some of the other bad contracts. By signing Dak long term we just drag this mess out longer than it needs to

I like Dak but we’re not a few players away from competing when we’re talking about what to do with our top 5 pick
We didnt invest in defense when he was on a rookie deal. Why would they start now with a new QB?

Ringo88

Reaction score

If we sign a rookie QB, we are essentially wasting his first 3-4 years in the league. If we instead had that pick and traded down (for hopefully a king's ransom, depending on where we pick), we can rebuild this defense and offensive line. Rebuild the defense in the draft, not free agency. We would have the funds to pay Dak 35m I think.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We didnt invest in defense when he was on a rookie deal. Why would they start now with a new QB?

They drafted a ton of defensive guys.

Also... A lot of you applauded when we let Byron Jones walk.

The fans on this forum have made just about every excuse for Dak imaginable when we lose.

They aren't wrong either.. He does need all of those things in order to be successful. But the difference is you think the team can get all of those things for him while also paying him close to 40 million a season.

Reaction score
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.
The thread should be closed with this: The Cowboys are not getting Trevor Lawrence. Period

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If we sign a rookie QB, we are essentially wasting his first 3-4 years in the league. If we instead had that pick and traded down (for hopefully a king's ransom, depending on where we pick), we can rebuild this defense and offensive line. Rebuild the defense in the draft, not free agency. We would have the funds to pay Dak 35m I think.

I'm down for getting the Kings ransom..

Justin Fields to me is very similar to Dak. Just Dak with much better athleticism. I don't see a lot of arm talent there.

Say at best you come out even and he is cheaper.

I'll take the kings ransom as you like to call it over Fields.

I do need to watch him more though.