Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now, the Cowboys are in position 9 in the draft with NYJ, NYG, JAX, ATL and MIN ahead of them and WAS and NE keeping them company. Think they're going to get a shot at a blue chip QB?

If it isn't evident to you now, QB is one position they don't need. If any team ever wanted proof of not only their MVP but their heart and soul, the Cowboys got that.

If they stick there, they need to use that 9th on the best LT, LB or DB available.

uvaballa

Reaction score
So you’re saying get a young QB to play behind a below average line and overpay vets to fill the holes? We’ve seen what happens to the Cowboys when they overpay vets and it hasn’t been pretty.

I’d rather keep the current QB (the only leader on the team) and bring in some young defensive talent. Also let go of guys who aren’t producing if it doesn’t kill the CAP.

dckid

Reaction score
Ok. So we just give up?

Just realize we are the Detroit Lions, Washington Commanders/ Football team/ Bengals/ Browns.
Realize who the Cowboys franchise has been since its inception. There was a level of excellence that was expected. There was a reason we were grouped with the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Cowboys. These are the Icons of their league and throughout history. There is nothing to point to anymore. We were relevant in the dial up era. Antiquated owners/ antiquated philosophy. Jerry Jones does not come into the office with the focused mindset of winning a SB as their goal. Their goal might be how can I sign Dak to a reasonable contract so that I am still making 800 million in pure profit this year.
Please someone pay this idiot 7 billion so he can leave.

We do not deserve to be mentioned among the Pats, Steelers, Giants, Packers...
Other than past results over a quarter of a century ago.
Don't fool yourself. Jerry Jones is a joke, real owners and football guys laugh at this clown. Sell the team and leave, no one wants you as owner.
Mark Cuban buy this team. Give me a passionate guy who would actually give a damn! If that can't happen....
I think Bezos buys the Hawks, I wish he would buy the Cowboys

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
They drafted a ton of defensive guys.

Also... A lot of you applauded when we let Byron Jones walk.

The fans on this forum have made just about every excuse for Dak imaginable when we lose.

They aren't wrong either.. He does need all of those things in order to be successful. But the difference is you think the team can get all of those things for him while also paying him close to 40 million a season.

and you think Trevor Lawrence doesn’t need “all those things”?

lmao..

Roethlisberger makes 45 million/year.

And the Steelers suck right?

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Just realize we are the Detroit Lions, Washington Commanders/ Football team/ Bengals/ Browns.
Realize who the Cowboys franchise has been since its inception. There was a level of excellence that was expected. There was a reason we were grouped with the Yankees, Lakers, Celtics, Cowboys. These are the Icons of their league and throughout history. There is nothing to point to anymore. We were relevant in the dial up era. Antiquated owners/ antiquated philosophy. Jerry Jones does not come into the office with the focused mindset of winning a SB as their goal. Their goal might be how can I sign Dak to a reasonable contract so that I am still making 800 million in pure profit this year.
Please someone pay this idiot 7 billion so he can leave.

We do not deserve to be mentioned among the Pats, Steelers, Giants, Packers...
Other than past results over a quarter of a century ago.
Don't fool yourself. Jerry Jones is a joke, real owners and football guys laugh at this clown. Sell the team and leave, no one wants you as owner.
Mark Cuban buy this team. Give me a passionate guy who would actually give a damn! If that can't happen....
I think Bezos buys the Hawks, I wish he would buy the Cowboys

Ok. Stop being a fan then. I don’t know what your post has to do with this thread.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Lawrence will not fix our team.

We need to basically draft an entire defense. Who do we have on defense other than Diggs (I see potential) that is worth keeping?

We need new starters on defense. In my opinion, that is what we need to focus on this offseason.
Catch17 was WRONG about Dalton. WRONG about Dak (in which he was brutally exposed as a hack) yet he has the answer to the QB position?

With all this team needs he pushes for an unknown, shot in the dark college QB.

He's just stirring the pot. A known agitator. Clueless fan of the eagles and has a couple brown-nosers following him around.

Ren

Reaction score
We didnt invest in defense when he was on a rookie deal. Why would they start now with a new QB?

we did, but we invested poorly and now we’re paying the price for that.

Imagine still having Byron Jones instead of say Lawrence and Jaylon. We couldn’t even get him back in a 2 for 1 swap with those players if they’re contracts weren’t cancer. We’re spending a ton on Defense the problem is that most of it is going to players who don’t preform anywhere close to their contract

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.
A quitter, a loser and a Troll. You've made the trifecta being morally bankrupt.:bow:

dckid

Reaction score
Ok. Stop being a fan then. I don’t know what your post has to do with this thread.
My post is related because I 100% want to tank. Please go 2-14. At least I will have some hope. I can fool myself for another few years as we climb back to the 9 win level.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pay attention. Dak wasn't asking for 40 million.

As far as we all can semi- assume......it was contract duration. Not 40 million.

That's the point.

Half truths to bolster an agenda seems to be the norm around here.

Sad really.......
Duration seems to have been the biggest issue, but the $40MM while not confirmed can pretty safely be assumed. You think dak deserves less than what Watson got? I'm not sure why that is even an argument?

And now at this point the price is only going up on dak. Truth is in hindsight he should have been signed when goff/wence got paid. That style contract would look pretty good right now, and at a point where the cowboys would be benefitting.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Roethlisberger makes 45 million/year.

And the Steelers suck right?
Bens cap hit the last 3 years has averaged 24 million dollars...... (45 million ???)

He has 41 million hit next year but almost 40% of that is an optional roster bonus. It's basically just leverage to extend him till 2022 and spread the hit one more year

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Here’s the bottom line relative to this season as well.

As much as many of us have written this season off seven games in, and I’m not saying this is a wrong perspective as far as being a fan goes, the team will not. These players are not going to tank. MM and the staff are fighting for their jobs. We will get some guys back on the OL hopefully. I saw some posts yesterday that stated Martin and Dalton should just shut it down. Well, they aren’t going to do that because they are professionals who are being being paid to play and they have pride and respect for their contracts.

We will probably win another couple games at least.

So we aren’t drafting Lawrence.

Not only is the thread’s premise that the key to winning a SB is to have a QB on a rookie contract stupid and false, it is also based on a likely pipe dream.

CATCH17 started the thread accordingly just to bash Dak.

Seven

Reaction score
Duration seems to have been the biggest issue, but the $40MM while not confirmed can pretty safely be assumed. You think dak deserves less than what Watson got? I'm not sure why that is even an argument?

And now at this point the price is only going up on dak. Truth is in hindsight he should have been signed when goff/wence got paid. That style contract would look pretty good right now, and at a point where the cowboys would be benefitting.
Not an argument a debate.

You use assumption......expect a debate.

You think Dak will be worth 40 million after the injury?

Hint......your answer will be an assumption as is Dak wanted 40 million.

Which actually isn't true.

kskboys

Reaction score
They drafted a ton of defensive guys.

Also... A lot of you applauded when we let Byron Jones walk.

The fans on this forum have made just about every excuse for Dak imaginable when we lose.

They aren't wrong either.. He does need all of those things in order to be successful. But the difference is you think the team can get all of those things for him while also paying him close to 40 million a season.
Ok then, we invested very poorly and very stupidly on D.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Bens cap hit the last 3 years has averaged 24 million dollars...... (45 million ???)

He has 41 million hit next year but almost 40% of that is an optional roster bonus. It's basically just leverage to extend him till 2022 and spread the hit one more year
Ok?

He made 45 million last year and was the highest paid player in the league according to what I read a couple weeks ago.

Is there not a creative way to structure Dak’s contract?

this idea if you pay a stud QB what the market dictates or else you will suck is false.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not an argument a debate.

You use assumption......expect a debate.

You think Dak will be worth 40 million after the injury?

Hint......your answer will be an assumption as is Dak wanted 40 million.

Which actually isn't true.
How much did dak want then?

He is expected to make a full recover so yeah I think he still gets 40+. Probably plays on the tag this year, but he gets paid unless he has complications.

The thoughts that dak is going to give the cowboys this great deal at this point seems to be wishful thinking.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
LMAO. What is Lawrence gonna do but get hurt also behind this Oline. He's just gonna waste away like Romo did. And like Dak is doing. I like the kid. Dallas is the last place I'd hope he goes. I'd prefer Purgatory for him over coming to this mess in Dallas.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
How much did dak want then?

He is expected to make a full recover so yeah I think he still gets 40+. Probably plays on the tag this year, but he gets paid unless he has complications.

The thoughts that dak is going to give the cowboys this great deal at this point seems to be wishful thinking.

He would have signed for 33 million/year if the FO had given in to his demand to a four year contract versus a five year contract.

Seven

Reaction score
Ok?

He made 45 million last year and was the highest paid player in the league according to what I read a couple weeks ago.

Is there not a creative way to structure Dak’s contract?

this idea if you pay a stud QB what the market dictates or else you will suck is false.
Shhhhhh. Don't let Catch17 known this.

I enjoy him looking a fool.