Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok then, we invested very poorly and very stupidly on D.

It's a bad defensive league anyways.

The problem is we match whatever our opponents do anyways.

When at our best if our opponent score 12 we score 10. IF they score 50 we score 49. It's just what we are.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Ok?

He made 45 million last year and was the highest paid player in the league according to what I read a couple weeks ago.

Is there not a creative way to structure Dak’s contract?
His signing bonus was almost 38 million cash that was prorated farther down the line (he got the cash but the team didn't get the full cap hit). That's easy to do when 1. your on a rookie deal or 2. your currently playing for below market value (which was the case with Ben)

Since Dak is starting 100% from scratch it's going to be hard to get top 3 money, especially with the rumors of the cap going down next year. Mentioning Ben in retrospect to Dak situation isn't even comparable

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Calling it now. We’re going to win two more games, go 4-12 and pick number 4, just like we we’re after the 2015 season. And, we’ll pick some stud, non-QB several spots higher than he should go. It will probably be a pass rusher with freakish traits but with inconsistent production. Guaranteed bomb.

Dallas has a way of repeating over and over.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Shhhhhh. Don't let Catch17 known this.

I enjoy him looking a fool.

lol what's the point thats making me look like a fool about Big Ben? What exactly did he prove?

I can't think of a lot of big money guys on their team either. Maybe Decastro?

The facts are on my side with this one bud.. QB's on rookie deals and vets taking paycuts are winning titles.

If someone did it at this point it would be an outlier.

I think 2 QB's since 1995 have taken up 13% or more of the cap and won a Superbowl.

If you want to count the uncapped year we have 3.

So we need Dak to play like Steve Young, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady to overcome that contract.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
How much did dak want then?

He is expected to make a full recover so yeah I think he still gets 40+. Probably plays on the tag this year, but he gets paid unless he has complications.

The thoughts that dak is going to give the cowboys this great deal at this point seems to be wishful thinking.
He wanted less years. Confirmed.

We don't know how much exactly but what we do know it wasn't 40 million. That was a number which was a rumor,and par for the course, it was ran with to bolster agendas.

Nobody said that Dak was giving Dallas a great deal. You post lies like this and with the Dak sucks crowd....... it'll be gospel because they really have nothing, IMO.

THEN the board is full rumor, lies and innuendos inviting fans of other teams to join the liars club. Like that Rodgers humper, leeblair as one of many lately.

The list is growing.........

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I never expected us to be in the running for Lawrence...and I still really don't think we'll be bad enough to finish #1 or #2 by the end of the year (compare to NYJ and Jax). However...after nearly the halfway mark of the season, at least there's a solid chance so I gotta say that's been a pleasant surprise :D

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
He would have signed for 33 million/year if the FO had given in to his demand to a four year contract versus a five year contract.
Is there actual evidence of this? Honest question, I got so tired of following the drama I could have missed a report like that. That just seems to be the 2019 offseason price, not 2020.

I have a hard time believing that jerry doesn't get dak signed if he averaged 33 a year. I dont care how long the contract was for. Thats a bargain price at this point, and jerry deserves to be publically shamed if true.

Seven

Reaction score
lol what's the point thats making me look like a fool about Big Ben? What exactly did he prove?

I can't think of a lot of big money guys on their team either. Maybe Decastro?

The facts are on my side with this one bud.. QB's on rookie deals and vets taking paycuts are winning titles.

If someone did it at this point it would be an outlier.

I think 2 QB's since 1995 have taken up 13% or more of the cap and won a Superbowl.

If you want to count the uncapped year we have 3.

So we need Dak to play like Steve Young, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady to overcome that contract.
The premise of your thread, not Ben.

You started this thread and your still lost?

Keep banging that keyboard.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
His signing bonus was almost 38 million cash that was prorated farther down the line (he got the cash but the team didn't get the full cap hit). That's easy to do when 1. your on a rookie deal or 2. your currently playing for below market value (which was the case with Ben)

Since Dak is starting 100% from scratch it's going to be hard to get top 3 money, especially with the rumors of the cap going down next year. Mentioning Ben in retrospect to Dak situation isn't even comparable

ummmm..

No.

Roethlisberger is signed to a two year deal. Any signing bonus will be amortized against the cap over the life of the contract, in this case two years. Roethlisberger is indeed a very highly paid, cap heavy QB on a 6-0 SB contending team.

The premise that you can’t pay a stud QB market value and not suck as a team is demonstrably false.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Is there actual evidence of this? Honest question, I got so tired of following the drama I could have missed a report like that. That just seems to be the 2019 offseason price, not 2020.

I have a hard time believing that jerry doesn't get dak signed if he averaged 33 a year. I dont care how long the contract was for. Thats a bargain price at this point, and jerry deserves to be publically shamed if true.

This is what has been reported in the media via several disparate outlets over the last few months. Do I KNOW with 100% certainty it’s true? No, but when you have multiple outlets with varied sources reporting the same thing, that does give it credence in my book.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Forget trying to win Sunday Night. Forget trying to win the division this season. Our Superbowl at this point is Trevor Lawrence..

Unfortunately... We may have watermelon kicked away our chance at an elite quarterback. 2 wins might be too many.

We have a couple of problems.

1. The team pushing these players to try and win these games.

2. The Jets are showing no signs of winning a game.

I'm struggling to find 1 win on this schedule.

Nov. 1 at Kansas City Chiefs
Nov. 9 New England Patriots
BYE
Nov. 22 at Los Angeles Chargers
Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins
Dec. 6 Las Vegas Raiders
Dec. 13 at Seattle Seahawks
Dec. 20 at Los Angeles Rams
Dec. 27 Cleveland Browns
Jan. 3 at New England Patriots

Hopefully the Jets will bring back Darnold and do their best to let him prove his value and the team pulls together and wins 3 games somehow.

Dallas needs to start Ben Dennucci.. Garret Gilbert.. Whoever.. Keep this Oline that might be the worst in history in place and let the defense do the rest.

We also need Justin Fields to have a really good season.. Like hopefully much better than Lawrence type of season. Lawrence struggling wouldn't be the worst thing too to help build the hype for Fields.

Then hopefully on draft day we can do whatever it takes to possibly move up a spot or 2 and get Lawrence. I'm sure Lawrence's agent would put a ton of pressure on the Jets to not select him as well if Dallas and Jerry Jones come calling.

This draft can send us 1 of 2 ways.. We either stay on the path of mediocrity and draft some "stud" defensive guy that has little impact on the outcomes of games or we turn this thing around and bring an electric player inside this building that is so desperately needed.

Right now this franchise needs hope and there is no hope on the way. With Lawrence in the house everything changes.

Potential elite QB for 5 years on a rookie deal is the way forward. Signing Dak and overcoming all of the other obstacles required for him to win a Championship just seems like wishful thinking.

We need one of these in the most desperate fashion!

ElRI0aCW0AI0EnF

ElRI00UXUAAqs6R

Seven

Reaction score

Surprise!

That's what happens when you side with untruths.........miss a couple days, read a post via a hack that hates a football player for completely different reason other than football.......viola!!

Oooops.......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ummmm..

No.

Roethlisberger is signed to a two year deal. Any signing bonus will be amortized against the cap over the life of the contract, in this case two years. Roethlisberger is indeed a very highly paid, cap heavy QB on a 6-0 SB contending team.

The premise that you can’t pay a stud QB market value and not suck as a team is demonstrably false.

Who else on their team is making money?

It's why Seattle is finally doing well again with Wilson.. Who else is getting paid for Seattle?

In Dallas.. Everyone has got paid.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is what has been reported in the media via several disparate outlets over the last few months. Do I KNOW with 100% certainty it’s true? No, but when you have multiple outlets with varied sources reporting the same thing, that does give it credence in my book.
Did a quick search, but nothing showed up in that range. The closest thing I saw was a 5 year $175MM, but dak wanted 45mm for the last season.

$33mm is a bargain and cheaper avg than the franchise tag. That combined with what Watson got and im skeptical. Either way at this point I'm not sure how dak entertains anything under $40MM.

A good showing next year and he could be a franchise qb, in the prime of his career on the open market. He would get the kirk cousins treatment, but if cousins was an actual good qb.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Right now, the Cowboys are in position 9 in the draft with NYJ, NYG, JAX, ATL and MIN ahead of them and WAS and NE keeping them company. Think they're going to get a shot at a blue chip QB?

If it isn't evident to you now, QB is one position they don't need. If any team ever wanted proof of not only their MVP but their heart and soul, the Cowboys got that.

If they stick there, they need to use that 9th on the best LT, LB or DB available.

Look at our upcoming schedule and tell me who we can beat on there?

Minny would beat us. NYG will now. We just saw what Was did to us. Other than the Jags and NYJ who I think both teams would beat us head to head right now who will end up with a worse record?

ATL at least still has Matt Ryan and Julio.

I can't see us winning another game this season unless Minny just lets us. I'll take Kirk Cousins and Dalvin Cook over what we got right now.

Top 3 QB's 2021 NFL Draft:

Trevor Lawrence
Justin Fields
Zach Wilson

Seven

Reaction score
Who else on their team is making money?

It's why Seattle is finally doing well again with Wilson.. Who else is getting paid for Seattle?

In Dallas.. Everyone has got paid.
Dak can't get paid because Jerry is an idiot?

That's why you hate Dak? Because Jerry's an idiot?

I thought it was because he's better than your QB, Wentz.

Silly me.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Surprise!

That's what happens when you side with untruths.........miss a couple days, read a post via a hack that hates a football player for completely different reason other than football.......viola!!

Oooops.......
So I side with untruths, but no one has been able to supply me with actual facts about dak wanting $33MM. Im open to the idea that im wrong, as it wouldnt be the first time, but show me instead of just being a dick.

Its a ridiculous argument at this point because its the past now, im just not sure why I'm getting roasted here. I stand by my belief that dak gets 40+ per year, unless he has complications from his injury. Hes about to be a free agent after 2021, and has 32 teams bidding for his services.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Hey guys, because the front office gave out bad contracts, we should not give out a good contract to a Top-10 (or better) QB.

In fact, only draft guys and keep them on rookie deals only. We should always have the cap room available so that ownership has the chance to hand out more bad contracts to OTHER TEAM rejects.

DUH!!!!!!!!

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Did a quick search, but nothing showed up in that range. The closest thing I saw was a 5 year $175MM, but dak wanted 45mm for the last season.

$33mm is a bargain and cheaper avg than the franchise tag. That combined with what Watson got and im skeptical. Either way at this point I'm not sure how dak entertains anything under $40MM.

A good showing next year and he could be a franchise qb, in the prime of his career on the open market. He would get the kirk cousins treatment, but if cousins was an actual good qb.

Ok. 35 million/year. I was wrong about 33. I don’t know why that was stuck in my head. Even so, the difference between that and 35 is negligible to me as far as cap math goes. Would I balk at Dak giving the team a cap friendly deal similar to what Brady would do occasionally in NE? No. Of course I would like that as a fan but Dak doesn’t owe anybody anything and these kids need to strike while the iron is hot. Dak’s injury is proof of that.