Tanks seeks 22.5, Cowboys offer 20

DRella

Reaction score
Cowboys set the market with many of those contracts at the time. They look good now because it's been a while.

And Chicago set it for DE when signing Mack. And Lawrence isn't Mack. If true and he is being offered 20 million a season he should shut up and take it, because hes nothing close to Mack as a player.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Mack is at $23.5MM AAV and Donald is at $22.5MM AAV.

He's not as good as either player. He's being unreasonable, especially when you take into account he's trying to use his shoulder surgery as leverage.

Never imagined I would say this a few months ago when I was pushing to bring him back............. but trading him won't be the worst thing.
He's the best player for the position since Ware. He's young and improving each year. He's as tough as they come. They paid Ware without batting an eye.

We have the players for a Superbowl run. Pay the man.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For what are you serious. This is a crucial contract for the Cowboys to show that they run the ship not the player. If they cave here then what happens with Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jones, Smith and LVE? Have you seen the deals that the Cowboys have completed with other main stays (Smith, Martin, Fredrick, Lee), none of them underpaid, all paid accordingly but not overpaid.

Cave on Lawrence and the Cowboys will have larger issues upcoming. Saving 2 million a year on all players mentioned adds to your team. Caving will cause holdouts, trades or non-signing.

I get that this money is any of the fans. But if you want a competitive team long term, what Stephen is doing is great. And you all should be backing it 100%. One thing if he lowballs our players, another if he isn't willing to overpay.
If you want a defense this year that can help carry us to the playoffs you sign Lawrence at least to Franchise Tag.

If not and your intent on saving a couple million a year over your value for him then fine but don’t be screaming when we miss the playoffs.

Basically this will cost us because of our other poor decisions on risk which didn’t work out. Making a third bad decision won’t correct the first two bad decisions.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
actually,if Im Tank, I am taking that deal like NOW. Its exactly in line with what a DE like him should be getting.Flowers gets 19 mil per..so I think if this report is true, the 2 parties are much closer to a deal than we thought. This is actually good news, IF TRUE.

I doubt very much that it is the 20m vs 22.5m that is holding up this deal. My guess is that it would be the amount of guaranteed money in the deal that is holding it up

Sydla

Reaction score
He's the best player for the position since Ware. He's young and improving each year. He's ad tough ad they come. They paid Ware without batting an eye.

We have the players for a Superbowl run. Pay the man.

You don't pay someone what would be the highest contract for a 4-3 DE because he's the best player you've had since a guy a few years ago.

That would be silly.

He's not as good as Donald or Mack. His contract should be below those two.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Careful people.....this obviously a Cowboy leak. The numbers suggest they're not that far apart but what about structure and guarantee. In fact, the tone of Garrett's presser touched on the exact issue. What we don't know is how the offer is structured and guaranteed. Interesting Garrett touched on this a bit during couple days ago during his presser.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you want a defense this year that can help carry us to the playoffs you sign Lawrence at least to Franchise Tag.

If not and your intent on saving a couple million a year over your value for him then fine but don’t be screaming when we miss the playoffs.

Basically this will cost us because of our other poor decisions on risk which didn’t work out. Making a third bad decision won’t correct the first two bad decisions.

They can't force him to sign the tag, they can only offer it to him, which they did. Signing the tag is all up to Lawrence.

dckid

Reaction score

I think we really need more information before jumping to conclusions. The per year average is nice from a marketing perspective but the bigger discussion is around how much of that contract is guaranteed.
Flowers signed a 4/90 with 40 gtd at signing and 56 total guaranteed. ( I can't tell you the difference between signing and total guarantee)
If you look at Flowers contract getting out in year 4 the dead cap hit is 11 million and year 5 the dead cap hit is around 5 million. So the benefit is for the team in that situation. The Lions will be paying out $ 35 million the last two years, they can avoid it by taking the dead cap hit. ( not an actual payroll hit).
So having said all that, i'm sure the issue is really about how much money Tank wants guaranteed vs total money contract.
Sometimes these gambles pay off sometimes they don't. Tank was happy to take the franchise tag and Jerry was happy to rent him @ $17 million.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I believe if we went back and looked at what most all the analysts were saying and fans predicting several months ago is that the price was going to be an average of $21.5 million a year with around $60 million in guarantees. We all know that negotiations always go this way with the team putting the low ball amount out and the player putting a high ball amount out and then by some stroke of a miracle they both agree to something in the middle. It happens every year.

Dallas does probably need to get in done sooner than later i.e. before the draft but it is what it is. All the talk from either side is about keeping Dallas in front of the news which everyone knows is what Jerry loves. As to trading him, with the shoulder needing surgery you are not going to get anywhere near full value for him and based on the teams that have a ton of cap space and needs, there just isn't fits in the way those GMs do business.

A deal will get done and surgery will happen. Everyone points to him not being available for off season workouts and did anyone in their right mind think he was going to be available even if he would have had the surgery last month. It was always going to be training camp before we saw Lawrence working out with the team, just a fact.

Jerry and Stephen just need to get the trade for Quinn done and Lawrence signed and then we all can take a breath for a minute before we get on the subject of extensions, another 2 million post later.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They can't force him to sign the tag, they can only offer it to him, which they did. Signing the tag is all up to Lawrence.
And it’s going to delay his surgery. He has us bent over a barrel. Pay the man and we’ll try to save elsewhere.

If not then don’t get fussy when our defense falters this year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Tank is a really good player, but paying him $20M/year will handcuff this team and I don't feel he is that good. I would have expected a $20M/year player to have more of a presence in the Divisional game.
Just because it says an avg of 20mil a yr doesnt mean he will get 20mil every yr. Yr 1 will most likely be round have that. and could be even less with a vet minimum, to help resigning Dak and Cooper.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aren’t we going to save some money on Gregory and Irving this year ? Surely we can justify over paying Lawrence a couple million.

If we’re smart we can save it on not over paying Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
People keep saying that, but his agent will argue to the contrary based on hard numbers.

His agent will of course argue that but anyone with a brain would know that Lawrence isn't as good. Mack is an OLB and does way more things on the field than Lawrence does.

Don't mistake this as suggesting Lawrence isn't valuable. He's one of the best 4-3 DEs in football but there aren't many that would argue Lawrence is every bit as good as Mack.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And it’s going to delay his surgery. He has us bent over a barrel. Pay the man and we’ll try to save elsewhere.

If not then don’t get fussy when our defense falters this year.

Only if Dallas allows it. if the report is true then Dallas is stepping up to the plate and making an offer of 20 mill a year making him the highest paid DE in the entire NFL. Dallas can play him on the FA tag because while he has not signed it as of yet he is not going to sit out the season and miss 20 million dollar or Dallas can look to trade him. Dallas would be making a big mistake acting is if they have no choice in the matter and that what ever DLaw want he gets. You may work deal like that in your life I sure as hell wouldn't. I would let him walk before I would sign him to a bad deal. Fact is he is not the best DE in the NFL and does not deserve to be paid as the best DE in the NFL