Tanks seeks 22.5, Cowboys offer 20

dckid

Reaction score
If dallas has offered 20m and he still isn't satified this is pure greed. Coupled with the shenanigins played by refusing surgery, i am gradually losing patience with this guy. Nobody is bigger than the Cowboys ( including the joneses).
I'm sorry I don't understand your logic. It's a business from end to end. Players want as much as they can, owners want to make as much as they can. Who are we to set the market on what a player wants and can get.
The truth of the matter is guys like JJ Watt, Mack, Donald usually don't hit free agency, guys like Vernon and Flowers do so these mid to upper tier guys set the market and the top guys usually get a bit more.
The bigger lesson that management should learn is sign your guys early. Look at what the Eagles did with Zach Ertz, paid him early. The Pats do that with Gronk, they did it with Shaq Mason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only if Dallas allows it. if the report is true then Dallas is stepping up to the plate and making an offer of 20 mill a year making him the highest paid DE in the entire NFL. Dallas can play him on the FA tag because while he has not signed it as of yet he is not going to sit out the season and miss 20 million dollar or Dallas can look to trade him. Dallas would be making a big mistake acting is if they have no choice in the matter and that what ever DLaw want he gets. You may work deal like that in your life I sure as hell wouldn't I would let him walk before I would sign him to a bad deal. Fact is he is not the best DE in the NFL and does not deserve to be paid as the best DE in the NFL
Let him walk and risk the defense collapsing without a pass rush.

Again, our choices are limited because of our other risk which failed.

We’re only talking about 2 million. We’ll over pay Dak more than that.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think we really need more information before jumping to conclusions
. The per year average is nice from a marketing perspective but the bigger discussion is around how much of that contract is guaranteed.
Flowers signed a 4/90 with 40 gtd at signing and 56 total guaranteed. ( I can't tell you the difference between signing and total guarantee)
If you look at Flowers contract getting out in year 4 the dead cap hit is 11 million and year 5 the dead cap hit is around 5 million. So the benefit is for the team in that situation. The Lions will be paying out $ 35 million the last two years, they can avoid it by taking the dead cap hit. ( not an actual payroll hit).
So having said all that, i'm sure the issue is really about how much money Tank wants guaranteed vs total money contract.
Sometimes these gambles pay off sometimes they don't. Tank was happy to take the franchise tag and Jerry was happy to rent him @ $17 million.

Bingo!!!!! Pretty obvious the Cowboys are pulling out the greedy-players card here.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
What we need is that little weasel GM the Eagles have. That dude could give him 3 million and make it look like 22 and everyone will be happy.

Sydla

Reaction score
What does he do that Lawrence doesn't?

He moves around a lot more. They use him in zone coverage at times, for example. By nature, 3-4 OLBs typically have more responsibilities than a 4-3 DE.

Look, if you want to think DeMarcus Lawrence is every bit as good as Mack, have at it. You likely won't find a ton of people outside of Cowboys fans who would agree with that. That's not to say Lawrence isn't a great player himself, mind you.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think the money is ludicrous, but it is funny how the great majority of people side with the Cowboys, aka the "boss". Fact is each of us would try to get as much as we could if we were in his shoes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Let him walk and risk the defense collapsing without a pass rush.

Again, our choices are limited because of our other risk which failed.

We’re only talking about 2 million. We’ll over pay Dak more than that.

Bad team make bad deal, everyone here would be screaming bloody murder if DLaw once again fades late in the season while being paid top Money. He is not the best and I would not pay him as the best and yes would let him walk next season or trade him before entering into a bad deal. The notion that whatever DLaw wants he should get is stupid, he is very good he is not that good. teams are not paying extra attention to him and he is not taking over games as you see with Mack or Donald who can totally wreak a game. 2nd half of the year last season DLaw was not making an impact and guess what this team won despite the fact he was not getting it done.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think the money is ludicrous, but it is funny how the great majority of people side with the Cowboys, aka the "boss". Fact is each of us would try to get as much as we could if we were in his shoes.
When is enough enough. Screw him.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He moves around a lot more. They use him in zone coverage at times, for example. By nature, 3-4 OLBs typically have more responsibilities than a 4-3 DE.

The fact is that Lawrence and Mack a a lot closer than people think. If you look at the totality of their careers, yes, it's apparent that Mack has a much better start. But 2014, 2015 has little to do with 2019 and beyond. Recent years shows that Tank has been the better pass rusher (more QB hits & sacks) and better against the run (more TFL). Also Mack signed his deal last year--the cap has risen $10M since.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bad team make bad deal, everyone here would be screaming bloody murder if DLaw once again fades late in the season while being paid top Money. He is not the best and I would not pay him as the best and yes would let him walk next season or trade him before entering into a bad deal. The notion that whatever DLaw wants he should get is stupid, he is very good he is not that good. teams are not paying extra attention to him and he is not taking over games as you see with Mack or Donald who can totally wreak a game. 2nd half of the year last season DLaw was not making an impact and guess what this team won despite the fact he was not getting it done.

As a result of our other poor risk which have failed we are left in this vulnerable situation. I’m concerned it risk our season without any defensive line pressure. If your ok with that over a couple million a year then by all means proceed.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't understand your logic. It's a business from end to end. Players want as much as they can, owners want to make as much as they can. Who are we to set the market on what a player wants and can get.
The truth of the matter is guys like JJ Watt, Mack, Donald usually don't hit free agency, guys like Vernon and Flowers do so these mid to upper tier guys set the market and the top guys usually get a bit more.
The bigger lesson that management should learn is sign your guys early. Look at what the Eagles did with Zach Ertz, paid him early. The Pats do that with Gronk, they did it with Shaq Mason.
I am the guy that buys the season tickets and absorbs the cost of running this business when ticket prices go up as a result of covering the cost of these ever expanding salaries. That's who I am to want to set the market on what a player wants and can get. If your thing is watching games for free at home then that's fine but don't tell me I shouldn't expect my investment in this team to be spent wisely.