Tavon Austin is Ridiculous

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's what the Boys think and how they are gonna use him in their offensive packages. If we are keeping 3 rb's (most likely), it will come down to Zeke, RSmith, and either Austin or Scarbrough. That is why he is listed as a rb and not wr, we have more depth to choose from at wr as of now.

I think it will probably come down to Zeke, Austin and Scarborough. Zeke can do it all, Austin can be the pass receiving rb and Scarborough the power back.

But that's assuming Scarborough impresses, which I just get the feeling he will...

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I do agree that we should manage expectations, but his praise of Tavon's personality doesn't change the reason he fell behind in LA.

Though to make those decisions,” Snead said. “Last year Tavon, unfortunately, when Sean got here, he had the wrist injury and couldn’t get on the field and fell behind. Unfortunately for him, we kind of moved on in terms of adding people to the roster and by the time he was able to get back, was never really able to get into the rotation.

“So, we did feel like Tavon deserved a chance to go try to be Tavon,” Snead continued. “But, I can’t say enough about that human being — just what he went through last year, where he was at on the depth chart by the end, but still being an unbelievable team guy.”

n this short year that you’re around him, what a special, unique person he is,” McVay said. “Clearly an incredible talent where you see the athleticism, the explosiveness that he has to be able to create the big plays. I think you find out a lot about people when they go through some hardships or some adversity and all he continued to demonstrate is that he’s all about the right stuff. Can’t really echo enough about what Les said, just the amount of respect you have for the human being.”

My whole point with this was that we shouldn't look at Tavon's past and say he's an underwhelming player. We should see that sometimes a change of scenery can really take a players game to the next level. Tavon played under Jeff Fisher and his 'middle-school' offense for 4 years and still had a pro-bowl caliber season in 2015. I have no doubts he would have been extremely impactful in 2017 with McVay had he stayed healthy. I'm not saying he's an all-pro, but a guy with that type of athleticism and instinct in the open field will be effective if put in the right situations.

The worry is with Linehan, but he has stated he's always had a plan for Austin going back to 2013. He also put Reggie Bush in great positions to succeed in a similar role to Tavon when Bush had 1,006 rushing yards, four rushing touchdowns, 54 receptions, 506 receiving yards, and three receiving touchdowns. Tavon can be a real asset to the offense.

Also, here is an expert from an article with McVay talking about Tavon:

“I think the world of Tavon, not only as a player but as a person,” McVay said this week. “I think unfortunately with his situation, he was never really able to get healthy and it was hard to truly get him on there and get him the opportunities that he probably deserved. That’s something I wish I did a better job with.” ...

“We didn’t do a good enough job of being able to – and mostly, I didn’t do a good enough job of being able to get the most out of him because he’s a special player and he’s shown that when the ball is in his hands, good things have happened,” McVay added. I think it boils down to just some unfortunate circumstances with those injuries.”

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ams-tavon-austin-trade-sean-mcvay-blame-2018/

RKG.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I think it will probably come down to Zeke, Austin and Scarborough. Zeke can do it all, Austin can be the pass receiving rb and Scarborough the power back.

But that's assuming Scarborough impresses, which I just get the feeling he will...

Well RSmith plays special teams. Scarborough will have to do that to be the 3rd rb.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tavon Austin is maybe the most explosive playmaker in the entire league when he gets the ball in space, and this thread is pitter pattering about what his numbers may or may not be. Trading a 6th-rounder for him is a home run.

He is guaranteed a roster spot, regardless of what his position may be, but his effectiveness will be measured by how the Cowboys' offense leverages his skillset to get other guys open. I don't think we really understand the pressure that he can put on a defense, because we haven't had anybody like him in...ever? When's the last time they had an outside player who could consistently make the first guy miss? It doesn't matter if he's a vertical threat, a gadget player, or a RB, he's devastating in space. Preventing him from getting that space will always be a defense's priority.

In very basic 11-personnel, the threat of him either in motion or catching a screen changes the defense every time.

88 TE x x c x x 11 83

With this formation, assuming D is in nickel, one safety has to play shallower on 11's side of the ball which gives either the TE man coverage on a LB or 88 man coverage on the outside. It also means that you can only have a six-man box, and the only player unaccounted for a blocker on the left side is the deep safety. The Cowboys will eat teams alive with this formation.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
It's what the Boys think and how they are gonna use him in their offensive packages. If we are keeping 3 rb's (most likely), it will come down to Zeke, RSmith, and either Austin or Scarbrough. That is why he is listed as a rb and not wr, we have more depth to choose from at wr as of now.
When the 53 man roster is finalized I think we’ll have 3 RB’s and none will be named Tavon. Like I mentioned earlier he may make it as a 6th receiver who does not return punts( I hope ).

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Tavon Austin is maybe the most explosive playmaker in the entire league when he gets the ball in space, and this thread is pitter pattering about what his numbers may or may not be. Trading a 6th-rounder for him is a home run.

He is guaranteed a roster spot, regardless of what his position may be, but his effectiveness will be measured by how the Cowboys' offense leverages his skillset to get other guys open. I don't think we really understand the pressure that he can put on a defense, because we haven't had anybody like him in...ever? When's the last time they had an outside player who could consistently make the first guy miss? It doesn't matter if he's a vertical threat, a gadget player, or a RB, he's devastating in space. Preventing him from getting that space will always be a defense's priority.

In very basic 11-personnel, the threat of him either in motion or catching a screen changes the defense every time.

88 TE x x c x x 11 83

With this formation, assuming D is in nickel, one safety has to play shallower on 11's side of the ball which gives either the TE man coverage on a LB or 88 man coverage on the outside. It also means that you can only have a six-man box, and the only player unaccounted for a blocker on the left side is the deep safety. The Cowboys will eat teams alive with this formation.
“Wow”, I hope you are right and he does magically turn into the most explosive player on th field this year. I don’t think he will. If he gets cut he wasn’t a home run. If he plays like he did last year, he is a bunt single.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys been lacking speed. Hopefully he and Zeke can make some big plays this year.
I hope man. I really thought we would get more home runs from Zeke behind this line, but he has been more of a singles and doubles hitter so far.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
When the 53 man roster is finalized I think we’ll have 3 RB’s and none will be named Tavon. Like I mentioned earlier he may make it as a 6th receiver who does not return punts( I hope ).

I think they expect Austin to also take over Switzer's role as the primary punt returner. So if that's the case, he's making the team.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
I'll take 4.8 TDs/year from a 6th round price every year!
Meanwhile the Eagles got 6 TDs from an UDFA RB. Including 2 in the play offs (remember them)? I defy you to find one “Cory Clement is ridiculous “ thread on any Eagles site. That is why I find this so silly. Folk here make JAGs into superstars.

Dre11

Reaction score
I know. Jeff Fisher should not count as a HC, but then again neither should Garrett. Sean McVay really turned him into a Superstar.

Lol...I’ll take Garrett over Fisher any day, Again McVay was with him for 1 year, in which he was out half or all the offseason in a new system.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Lol...I’ll take Garrett over Fisher any day, Again McVay was with him for 1 year, in which he was out half or all the offseason in a new system.
Sounds like you think Garrett is a much better coach than Fisher. Really interested in your reasons why. You must not be looking at playoff success?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He better learn to catch a punt! Fumbling a punt is a quick way to cost your team a game. See Switzer last year vs the Rams.

If he can't catch punts in the preseason at a 100% perfect rate, then they should give up that idea.

The push to get him was the OC Linehan for offense but now that he's here they're considering him for PR.

I would prefer for him to just be the backup PR. If they're losing the game, then using him at PR in the 2nd half would make sense; however, otherwise the muff risk seems to high.

Cedrick Wilson was a sure-handed PR in college.

I'm curious to see the list of all players they're looking at for PR.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Meanwhile the Eagles got 6 TDs from an UDFA RB. Including 2 in the play offs (remember them)? I defy you to find one “Cory Clement is ridiculous “ thread on any Eagles site. That is why I find this so silly. Folk here make JAGs into superstars.

There’s a lot of truth in this