Tavon Austin said he did what he was supposed to do on the punt

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
According to Jeff Cavanaugh on 103.5 the fan. Tavon Austin told him “I did what I was told to do” on the punt return......

Garret is trying to cover his pale ginger behind.
That was really really bizarre fielding that punt with so much room to run, and an explosive guy like Austin? If he said he was told to do that I have to believe him. Somebody told him no doubt about it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
By watching the NFL and listening to announcers. It’s a league wide strategy unless you have Deon or Hester. Games come down to final possessions every week, and you’ll see punts are almost always fair caught, as are kickoffs that are pooched at the end of games. Returns across the league seldom avg. 7 yards while collecting penalties almost every time. Coaches figure they can pick up 10 yards in 3-4 seconds on offense.

I agree.

50 reporters: "Why didn't you take all those easy yards???"

Tavon Austin: "I was told to fair catch"

50 posters on this site "I knew Jason Garrett worshipped Satan!!!"

Kaiser

Reaction score
I've seen the still shot of Garrett bent with his hands on his knees - it looked like he was upset over Austin not running. But that's just an impression from a still shot, and the video would be a better judge. Do you have the video to post?

Did Garrett or the ST coach make that call? Also do we know if its SOP for the PR to ignore the fair catch instruction if they see the return set up that well?

These situations are always more complicated than the fan base wants to believe.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
That was really really bizarre fielding that punt with so much room to run, and an explosive guy like Austin? If he said he was told to do that I have to believe him. Somebody told him no doubt about it.

Garrett stated that Austin was given the option to decide for himself , he threw austin under the bus .

tomsanders921

Reaction score
In that situation, most coaches are going to tell the guy to fair catch the punt....that’s a fact. They don’t want a returner wasting time when the clock is around 35 seconds.
I can see that if u have timeouts. But with no timeouts u have to think a big return is your best shot. Instead we choose to fair catch and call three quick passes for about 10 yards that take more time than a return would have.

If you don't want to return the punt then fine. But you then have to go for a block. It has to be one or the other.

CapnB

Reaction score
I've seen the still shot of Garrett bent with his hands on his knees - it looked like he was upset over Austin not running. But that's just an impression from a still shot, and the video would be a better judge. Do you have the video to post?

Nah i saw it on the twitter earlier.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
What a narcissistic coach. Every thing that goes wrong is because of everyone else but you. Imagine blaming your OC, QB, and WR/Punt returner all in one day.
Thats why I don't understand the writers / media that behind the scenes saying Garrett has players backing. This guy who never had one "mea culpa" after so many bunglings , how could get the players respond???

Sydla

Reaction score
I can see that if u have timeouts. But with no timeouts u have to think a big return is your best shot. Instead we choose to fair catch and call three quick passes for about 10 yards that take more time than a return would have.

If you don't want to return the punt then fine. But you then have to go for a block. It has to be one or the other.

That's the weirdest part of it. In that situation, if you are going to just fair catch the ball then why not go for a punt block?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The film room should interesting when this tape is played. The punt was poor, a return looked to be in place and Austin could have easily gotten OOB after a decent return inside the 40. Situational football.We hear it all the time. Garrett plays the numbers instead of trusting his players. Typical data geek.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
That's the weirdest part of it. In that situation, if you are going to just fair catch the ball then why not go for a punt block?
Garrett. What else needs to be said. Same guy that iced his own kicker against the Ravens back in the day.

I honestly don't know if he has ever won a game without Romo or Dak. And it always seemed like Romo was more successful when he was improvising or in the hurry up than when he actually ran the offense.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I agree.

50 reporters: "Why didn't you take all those easy yards???"

Tavon Austin: "I was told to fair catch"

50 posters on this site "I knew Jason Garrett worshipped Satan!!!"

I’ve actually seen Garret’s forked tongue a few times. No lie.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
The film room should interesting when this tape is played. The punt was poor, a return looked to be in place and Austin could have easily gotten OOB after a decent return inside the 40. Situational football.We hear it all the time. Garrett plays the numbers instead of trusting his players. Typical data geek.
You don't need to get out of bounds to stop the clock after s punt return. Which makes the decision for the fair catch even more questionable.

CWR

Reaction score
What a narcissistic coach. Every thing that goes wrong is because of everyone else but you. Imagine blaming your OC, QB, and WR/Punt returner all in one day.

The arrogance of this staff is a massive part of the problem.

It makes them ALWAYS right, which makes them hesitant to make changes. Why change when you know you are doing everything correctly? Its a large part of why we are slow to make adjustments, play better performing back ups and why we ran it on 1st down like 15 straight times despite it not working.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't really trust Garrett here. I mean his excuse for the two runs was that they were wanting to run clock to not give the Vikes alot of time.

OK, then why in the world didn't you let the CLOCK RUN? After you ran on 2nd and 2 at 1.57 left in the game, the next time you snapped the ball was at 1:33. Huh? You wanted to run clock down but then didn't actually run the clock down? You could have run the game clock another 15 seconds before snapping the ball.

He's full of crap plain and simple.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
You don't need to get out of bounds to stop the clock after s punt return. Which makes the decision for the fair catch even more questionable.
True, but he didn't need to dance his way for extra yards. With his speed, he could have ran straight down the sideline and OOB for 15-20 yards in about 4 seconds.

CWR

Reaction score

Had to go on my top 10 list of furious NFL moments. Only because it was so inexplicable. We had a guy back there who is capable of going all the way, and he had 15 yards of cushion! How stupid do you have to be? Was it so important to save time for 2 screens? Piss poor coaching. NO player worth a damn would make the decision. It was all on Garrett.