TE Jake Ferguson balled out so why draft a 2nd rd TE?

quickccc

Reaction score
TE Jake Ferguson balled out vs Eagles !!

After tonight vs Eagles, there is no question TE Jake Ferguson has clearly replaced departed Dalton Schultz as
a go to lead TE; 7 catches for 91 yards - including a 40 yard catch and run.

Even last year, Fergy was already showing signs that he could potentially replace Schultz as a starting lead TE.
And now Dak totally believes and trusts him as such.

Fergy is showing a knack for pass game, a feel for zone coverages, ability to hit the middle seam, and occasionally beat certain
coverages.

.So this although more still puzzles me as why we draft a blocking TE in the 2nd round in Luke Schoonmaker ?
What was it about Ferguson's game that they felt so uncomfortable to be forced to draft a TE ?
And yes, if Lions TE Sam Importa were available, all reports we were poised to select him ahead of Schoon.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

After tonight vs Eagles, there is no question TE Jake Ferguson has clearly replaced departed Dalton Schultz as

Even last year, Fergy was already showing signs that he could potentially replace Schultz as a starting lead TE.

Fergy is showing a knack for pass game, a feel for zone coverages, ability to hit the middle seam, and occasionally beat certain
coverages.

.So this although more still puzzles me as why we draft a blocking TE in the 2nd round in Luke Schoonmaker ?
What was it about Ferguson's game that they felt so uncomfortable to be forced to draft a TE ?
And yes, if Lions TE Sam Importa were available, all reports we were poised to select him ahead of Schoon.
When a stud guard would have been the answer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I didn’t get the Michael Mayer hype when we basically already had Michael Mayer on the team.

Schoonmaker was a waste though.

Not that I don’t like Schoonmaker but a 2nd round pick? Come on.

He’s 25 years old and he goes down so easy.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Watch him on the 4th and 8. He won right at the snap and got wide open. Seemed like Dak didn't even see him.

CoachD

Reaction score
Because the Cowboys wanna go down in history drafting underachieving tight ends in the second round....

Fassano
Bennett
Escobar
Schoonmaker TBD

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I like TEs that know where the endzone is. Not the 250 pound guys that can’t push for an extra foot.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score

coverages.

there was no guarantee he would take the starting job. its smart to bring in competition. he needs to get better as a run blocker and stop dropping passes. that drop could've changed the game if he caught it. he's the no. 2 receiver now for better or worse. I hope he builds off today.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
At this point, Jake Ferguson has proven to be a TE1. Yes i would want a TE that can stretch the seams, but I think you have your starter for at least the next few years which leads to my next point.

Drafting a backup TE in the second round when we needed OL help.

O’Cyrus Torrence and the Eagles starting RG today was taken after Schoon :facepalm: