TE Jake Ferguson balled out so why draft a 2nd rd TE?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
TE Jake Ferguson balled out vs Eagles !!

After tonight vs Eagles, there is no question TE Jake Ferguson has clearly replaced departed Dalton Schultz as
a go to lead TE; 7 catches for 91 yards - including a 40 yard catch and run.

Even last year, Fergy was already showing signs that he could potentially replace Schultz as a starting lead TE.
And now Dak totally believes and trusts him as such.

Fergy is showing a knack for pass game, a feel for zone coverages, ability to hit the middle seam, and occasionally beat certain
coverages.

.So this although more still puzzles me as why we draft a blocking TE in the 2nd round in Luke Schoonmaker ?
What was it about Ferguson's game that they felt so uncomfortable to be forced to draft a TE ?
And yes, if Lions TE Sam Importa were available, all reports we were poised to select him ahead of Schoon.
Ferguson had 19 receptions last year, what part said that was the second coming of Jason Witten....which he isn't...I know Witten would have caught that pass over the middle that Ferguson dropped for a first down today..

quickccc

Reaction score
TD drop earlier in the year? Right in his hands? Perfect pass. Hold on the Dowdle long run? 6’6” and can’t dive into the end zone? Smh
Also had a TD catch vs Jets ..and again his blocking grades ?

quickccc

Reaction score
Ferguson had 19 receptions last year, what part said that was the second coming of Jason Witten....which he isn't...I know Witten would have caught that pass over the middle that Ferguson dropped for a first down today..
LOL .. Who said anything about Fergy being the 2nd coming of Witten ?
How da heck did Witten name get into this ?

kskboys

Reaction score
All I heard most of the offseason from Draft Pundits and fans alike is that we needed a TE..

I was confused and commented several times that we had a TE in Ferguson.. yet here we are.

I actually don’t have a problem with Schoonmaker, I think he will turn into a decent TE also. That said, I thought he was a luxury pick then.. and still believe we should have picked OL O’Cyrus Torrence whom was picked by Buff directly afterwards

Then again.. Highsighy is 20/20 and no sense crying over it, right?!
Not hindsight. We didn't need a TE and had other pressing needs. OL especially. It was dumb, and looks dumber by the day.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I like Ferg. He had a couple drops today, which suck, but he is developing into a solid TE. That Schoon pick was a massive waste.

This entire draft is looking 'eek'.

mugsybows

Reaction score
The thing that made me mad today is we value draft picks sooo much and won’t trade them for proven players and yet we will waste them on dudes like schoonmaker. Frustrating.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
When on the clock for the 2nd pick, most thought it was going to be the FL OG since still on the board.
Would've been nice. We could have found out if Tyler Smith is the future at LT, and Tyron could have stayed at RT. Steele would still be on a RFA tender and would have been the swing tackle, where he clearly belongs.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Would've been nice. We could have found out if Tyler Smith is the future at LT, and Tyron could have stayed at RT. Steele would still be on a RFA tender and would have been the swing tackle, where he clearly belongs.

This, LOL before the pick I was jumping up and down and when the pick came in, it was like a kid who just dropped his triple scoop of ice cream cone.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just a terrible pick. I tried to give Schoonmaker a chance but he just doesn't have any special skills or traits. He may still have a long career in the league as a backup TE like former Cowboy Geoff Swaim but he was a 7th rounder :facepalm:

I'm thinking Schoonmaker doesn't even make the roster in 2024. John Stephens will be back and if he is anything close to the playmaker in preseason, he will make the team. Schoonmaker isn't even as good as Hendershot so what's the point in keeping him?

Hardline

Reaction score
This AGAIN? We marinated in it for 4 months before the season began. The story hasn't changed since the draft.

There is a reason the Cowboys passed on Torrence and drafted Schoon.

I know I know, it doesn't fit your agenda or what you think is the best for the Cowboys. But the story hasn't changed and it won't.
So you are defending the Cowboys stupidity? Those that wanted Torrence are 100% correct. This is the same team that took Taco Charlton over T.J.Watt because of "scheme fit."

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Just a terrible pick. I tried to give Schoonmaker a chance but he just doesn't have any special skills or traits. He may still have a long career in the league as a backup TE like former Cowboy Geoff Swaim but he was a 7th rounder :facepalm:

I'm thinking Schoonmaker doesn't even make the roster in 2024. John Stephens will be back and if he is anything close to the playmaker in preseason, he will make the team. Schoonmaker isn't even as good as Hendershot so what's the point in keeping him?

None, definitely not LaPorta.