TE Jake Ferguson balled out so why draft a 2nd rd TE?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
At this point, Jake Ferguson has proven to be a TE1. Yes i would want a TE that can stretch the seams, but I think you have your starter for at least the next few years which leads to my next point.

Drafting a backup TE in the second round when we needed OL help.

O’Cyrus Torrence and the Eagles starting RG today was taken after Schoon :facepalm:
Schoon and Taco 2.0 horrible pick ups.

Zman5

Reaction score
Are you a new fan? We've been drafting TEs that we don't need or won't use in the 2nd round for like 20 years.

ghst187

Reaction score
Our entire 2023 draft was a huge mistake.
We needed the LB in one and the OG in two. Might’ve been the difference in this game alone.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
At this point, Jake Ferguson has proven to be a TE1. Yes i would want a TE that can stretch the seams, but I think you have your starter for at least the next few years which leads to my next point.

Drafting a backup TE in the second round when we needed OL help.

O’Cyrus Torrence and the Eagles starting RG today was taken after Schoon :facepalm:
good team builders don't assume. the eagles drafted d smith and still traded for a j. you never know even if you see flashes. Ferguson could've regressed. he's playing good now but they couldn't know that. also scoon has 4.6 speed. he's faster than Ferguson. Ferguson is quicker. let it play out. what if we end up with two pro bowl caliber te s to go with lamb?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
So does scoonmachers play
yeah. To me, this is the bigger issue. If the guy was balling out, you have a dangerous 2 TE set With both players eating. Unfortunately it looks like we drafted at best a 6th OL.

Bagman

Reaction score
I'll probably get killed for saying this but I would try to reacquire Dalton Schultz in the offseason. Trade Schoonmaker for whatever you can get and use that draft capital to get Schultz. Dak LOVED targeting him and he was productive. Him and Fergy would give teams nightmares for the next 5 yrs

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll probably get killed for saying this but I would try to reacquire Dalton Schultz in the offseason.
NO. He isn't worth what the Texans paid him. There is a reason he only got a one year deal.

Bagman

Reaction score
NO. He isn't worth what the Texans paid him. There is a reason he only got a one year deal.
I think his cap # is a lot less than we paid him. He actually took a beating signing with Houston. Besides that, I think we win tonight if Schultz was on our team and Schoonmaker is selling ice cream at DQ

quickccc

Reaction score
I'll probably get killed for saying this but I would try to reacquire Dalton Schultz in the offseason. Trade Schoonmaker for whatever you can get and use that draft capital to get Schultz. Dak LOVED targeting him and he was productive. Him and Fergy would give teams nightmares for the next 5 yrs
Club apparently did not care for Schultz lack of blocking and thought with a TE rich NFL draft class, they had a shot at upgrading with TE.

Schultz apparently wanted a A tier TE contract, and club did not hold him in that kind of value.
He should have taken the supposed long term deal Cowboys offered him but both decided to settle on a one year franchise tag deal, and the club allowed him to walk in FA.

quickccc

Reaction score
Schoonmaker sucks. He really does. He has brought nothing except negativity since he stepped on the field.
He's probably graded overall out as our best blocking TE.
I don't see that as " brought nothing except negavity "

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
TE Jake Ferguson balled out vs Eagles !!

After tonight vs Eagles, there is no question TE Jake Ferguson has clearly replaced departed Dalton Schultz as
a go to lead TE; 7 catches for 91 yards - including a 40 yard catch and run.

Even last year, Fergy was already showing signs that he could potentially replace Schultz as a starting lead TE.
And now Dak totally believes and trusts him as such.

Fergy is showing a knack for pass game, a feel for zone coverages, ability to hit the middle seam, and occasionally beat certain
coverages.

.So this although more still puzzles me as why we draft a blocking TE in the 2nd round in Luke Schoonmaker ?
What was it about Ferguson's game that they felt so uncomfortable to be forced to draft a TE ?
And yes, if Lions TE Sam Importa were available, all reports we were poised to select him ahead of Schoon.
I said this right after the draft and ppl got mad at me. Wanna know the worst part. Schoonmaker is older than ferg right now lol

RawhidKid

Reaction score
If Dak looks for him on the fourth down with minute to go we probably win the game.
He beat his man right from the snap and was running wide open down the seam.
Dak just doesn’t see the field well when the game is on the line.

Aven8

Reaction score
He's probably graded overall out as our best blocking TE.
I don't see that as " brought nothing except negavity "
TD drop earlier in the year? Right in his hands? Perfect pass. Hold on the Dowdle long run? 6’6” and can’t dive into the end zone? Smh

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
huh? why? Ferguson right now is better than dalton ever was. in year two. also look at daltons rookie year. daltons not worth the money he'd demand.