TE Jake Ferguson balled out so why draft a 2nd rd TE?

quickccc

Reaction score
there was no guarantee he would take the starting job. its smart to bring in competition. he needs to get better as a run blocker and stop dropping passes. that drop could've changed the game if he caught it. he's the no. 2 receiver now for better or worse. I hope he builds off today.
I could understand adding depth to the TE group to add to backup help for Schultz,.. but not as high as a 2nd rd pick.

Cowboys added Ferguson as additional TE depth 2 yrs ago .. but that was a mid round pick in the 4th round, not a
higher round such as a 2nd rounder.

When you're targeting a 2nd rd pick, that usually spells a starter,.. not a backup limited role guy.

Cydios

Reaction score
He did have 2 big drops, but you could argue that it was good defense

Knotamus

Reaction score
All I heard most of the offseason from Draft Pundits and fans alike is that we needed a TE..

I was confused and commented several times that we had a TE in Ferguson.. yet here we are.

I actually don’t have a problem with Schoonmaker, I think he will turn into a decent TE also. That said, I thought he was a luxury pick then.. and still believe we should have picked OL O’Cyrus Torrence whom was picked by Buff directly afterwards

Then again.. Highsighy is 20/20 and no sense crying over it, right?!

conner01

Reaction score
TE Jake Ferguson balled out vs Eagles !!

After tonight vs Eagles, there is no question TE Jake Ferguson has clearly replaced departed Dalton Schultz as
a go to lead TE; 7 catches for 91 yards - including a 40 yard catch and run.

Even last year, Fergy was already showing signs that he could potentially replace Schultz as a starting lead TE.
And now Dak totally believes and trusts him as such.

Fergy is showing a knack for pass game, a feel for zone coverages, ability to hit the middle seam, and occasionally beat certain
coverages.

.So this although more still puzzles me as why we draft a blocking TE in the 2nd round in Luke Schoonmaker ?
What was it about Ferguson's game that they felt so uncomfortable to be forced to draft a TE ?
And yes, if Lions TE Sam Importa were available, all reports we were poised to select him ahead of Schoon.
Probably because we have a TE that’s a FA next year

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
When people complained about the Boys drafting Jake F., I stressed the point that Wisconsin players often show more in the Pros than in college. Wisconsin hardly threw to him, even though he had very good receiving skills. I predicted Fergie would be a stud. Do you see how he fights for the extra yards after the catch? He is no slow stiff. I have enjoyed seeing my projection come true.

Aven8

Reaction score
Schoonmaker sucks. He really does. He has brought nothing except negativity since he stepped on the field.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Don't judge a rookie too harshly. Some take longer to develop. But Luke should have passed the goal line before turning left. I blame Steele for the loss. He gave up 4 sacks today?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drafting a backup TE in the second round when we needed OL help.

O’Cyrus Torrence and the Eagles starting RG today was taken after Schoon :facepalm:
This AGAIN? We marinated in it for 4 months before the season began. The story hasn't changed since the draft.

There is a reason the Cowboys passed on Torrence and drafted Schoon.

I know I know, it doesn't fit your agenda or what you think is the best for the Cowboys. But the story hasn't changed and it won't.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
This AGAIN? We marinated in it for 4 months before the season began. The story hasn't changed since the draft.

There is a reason the Cowboys passed on Torrence and drafted Schoon.

I know I know, it doesn't fit your agenda or what you think is the best for the Cowboys. But the story hasn't changed and it won't.
Lol

Youre better off just saying “go cowboys!!”

lukemartin79

Reaction score
At this point, Jake Ferguson has proven to be a TE1. Yes i would want a TE that can stretch the seams, but I think you have your starter for at least the next few years which leads to my next point.

O’Cyrus Torrence and the Eagles starting RG today was taken after Schoon :facepalm:
Agreed. It also shows that they made the right call on not paying Schultz the big $, when they had a much cheaper guys who can do the same things.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At this point, Jake Ferguson has proven to be a TE1. Yes i would want a TE that can stretch the seams, but I think you have your starter for at least the next few years which leads to my next point.

Whether we like it or not Cowboys have a certain approach to their draft process. I trust them in the draft. I think we need both Schoon and Ferg at some point but yeah I personally never would've taken Schoon in the 2nd or any tight end but maybe theirs a method to their madness.