CFZ TE Luke Schoonmaker vs Jake Ferguson

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Schoonmaker pick is a head scratcher but they chose him because he’s an elite blocker and his testing shows he has high upside in the receiving department.

Imo, he’s a very fluid athlete and he’s great and finding windows and just runs very smooth.

What I don’t like is once he catches the ball it’s like all that athleticism disappears and he just falls to the ground or goes down super easy.

This is similar to my thoughts about him. Is there some way he can be coached to break tackles? I love his game, his blocking, and his soft hands. But the dude is not a YAC guy based on the tape I’ve seen.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Many seem to think he was drafted to potentially be a travis kelcy clone but that is not the case. He was drafted to be a young witten type player. The blocking is there but his passing game isn't as evident due to how they used him. Atleast that is my understanding, but we will all see come game time.

Creeper

Reaction score
Well there's your problem. Ferguson and Hendershot are not two promising young TEs. They are career backups. The Cowboys want better.

Why they decided Schoonmaker was that guy I don't know. One thing he does do clearly better than Ferguson is he can get down the field without looking like he's got a hernia.
I respectfully disagree - to a point. Hendershot might be a career #3 guy, but I don't think at this point we can say Ferguson cannot be what Schultz was. Schultz did not exactly light it up his rookie season either. In fact, Schultz had only 12 receptions for 116 yards and no TDs as a rookie. Ferguson has very similar stats for his rookie year. Schultz as a rookie could not block at all. At least Ferguson showed us some blocking potential.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think our TE coach wants inter-changable TE's. Whomever is in the game, they will offer the same skillset. Hated the pick, thought they could of gotten him in the 3rd, maybe even in the 4th. Certainly looks like they reached to fill a need.
Assuming he was the next TE on teams' board, he would have been gone by 61 at the latest. Now, it is possible that Jacksonville liked Strange better and would have chosen him anyway.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Assuming he was the next TE on teams' board, he would have been gone by 61 at the latest. Now, it is possible that Jacksonville liked Strange better and would have chosen him anyway.
Very possible, but thought there were far better players available at other positions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have explained this before the draft.

Ferguson was an R4 who had concussion issues last year.
He was pretty much non-existent late in year.
Hendershot was an UDFA that lacks size and athleticism.

Schoon has size and athleticism galore.

But Dallas was always in market for a TE that could play (and block) year 1.

The question was never will Dallas draft a TE but would be it in R1 or not.

Fans have attributed some mythical status to the 2nd year TEs that are really just not warranted yet.
This is so true.

Ferguson had 19 catches for 170 yards and people are like “THATS IT. HE IS OUR FUTURE AT TIGHT END”

Gaede

Reaction score
Ultimately, they drafted him because he is good at both blocking and running. They need someone who can play regardless of run or pass, so defenses have to consider the matchup. Whether they throw to him or not remains to be seen. But he's fast enough to challenge the defense as a receiver, and solid enough as a blocker to keep the run game moving. So basically, he's like Fergie+Hendershot, which helps our offense challenge the defense

I still don't like the pick, but the reasoning makes sense

Big_D

Reaction score
Both guys will see plenty of time. It's not really one vs the other.

Big_D

Reaction score
People talking like he still would've been there in the 3rd or later are comical. He was drafted in the neighborhood he was going to be drafted. It's not like they took a kicker in the 3rd. That's a reach. This was a player slotted for round 2 or 3. That doesn't mean he would've been there at the end of round 3.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Very possible, but thought there were far better players available at other positions.
This…maybe he isn’t there in the 3rd but that isn’t the point. It’s who we passed up by taking him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He def
I think he’s protecting himself or he’s been coached to get down quick.

Maybe you’re right though.

Just odd that one of the best athletes we’ve seen at TE has no balance haha.
He definitely has no wiggle. The YAC he does accumulate will be from heading straight up field. The game clips I’ve watched don’t indicate a guy that can make people miss in the open field.

exciter

Reaction score
In order to understand the pick we first need to be honest with ourselves.

The Truths:

1. We haven’t seen Shoonmaker play. We have no idea who he is.

2. Cowboys know how to draft. They’ve proven it time again after we doubted them.

3. This team did not like Torrence as much as everyone else did.

4. They saw Ferguson and Hendershot as worse than Schultz last season….they let Schultz walk and felt they needed to replace him.

5. He comes from a pro style offense. Here able to be a contributor as soon as he walks through the door.
#3 They seemed to like him just about as much as everyone else, which wasn’t very much. Bergeron, Mauch, Skoronski are all being projected to guard either now or eventually. Report out of Atlanta said so definitively on Bergeron. Guards with the mobility and lateral quickness of an anvil aren’t a thing anymore!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've been from podcasts to podcasts, article reads, TV spots,..but i still haven't comprehend why exactly did the Cowboys
felt they just had to draft a TE high in their liking,- despite having two promising young TEs in Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot.

Why did we have to draft a TE that early as the 2nd round, with those two in the mix ?

Do the Cowboys see Fergy and Shot as too lacking in blocking to be TE1 and TE2 ?

What exactly does Schoon possess as a player,... that Ferguson does not ?

Schoon ?
While I've heard and read about his blocking prowess, that’s great asset.
But frankly, I am far more interest in his receiving skills that impacts the passing game.

Imo, you don’t draft a TE as high and early as a 2nd round for his blocking.

You can get the Shawn McKeon’s and James Hanna’s for that.
You can acquire cheap vet FA tight ends for that. ala Blake Bell types.
Those types are not game changing difference makers

- There would have to be something exceptional , something special - about Schoon's receiving skills that warrants drafting him
as high as the 2nd round.

- Despite playing for a well-known ex-NFL coach in Jim Harbaugh, maybe Schoon was not in a scheme that best emphasized and stood out his receiving skills.
I fully admit that I have full Mark Andrews/ George Kettle aspirations and expectations for Schoon.
Drafted in the 2nd round … he had better at least be like Philly TE Dallas Goedert, imo.
You guys see a young te make a play or two and you think hes the next coming.

Yet guys like schoonmaker and Shultz suck. Hilarious stuff.