Team building

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah right, people are still whining about signing Carr.

khiladi

Reaction score
Winning a SB gives you at least three years of “average play”. It’s worth it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys do all the smart team building things that are just textbook.

Draft, skip Free Agency, pay their own guys and pay them top dollar.

The Rams have been to 2 Superbowls in recent years and they get rid of picks for players and constantly go and get guys. Nothing conservative about their approach.

You could make the argument the Bucs did the same thing as well as the Broncos in recent years.

Is the way the Cowboys team build a recipe for success or will they never have enough to get over the hump?

Sadly, every year our upgrades are just rookies and it’s rare to get the production we got this year.
Both the rams and bucs have outstanding GMs with an aggressive plan to win. They both have the power to hire the HC. And it all starts with an owner who (like the winning owners of the last 25 SBs) recognizes he needs to hire someone else to run football operations.

It’s not a mystery.
We have talent, what we lack is a proper OC .
I understand your point- but man we’ve had 7 different OCs in the last qtr century. You think hiring “the right OC” will make this owner stop being an idiot?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Cowboys do all the smart team building things that are just textbook.

Draft, skip Free Agency, pay their own guys and pay them top dollar.

The Rams have been to 2 Superbowls in recent years and they get rid of picks for players and constantly go and get guys. Nothing conservative about their approach.

You could make the argument the Bucs did the same thing as well as the Broncos in recent years.

Is the way the Cowboys team build a recipe for success or will they never have enough to get over the hump?

Sadly, every year our upgrades are just rookies and it’s rare to get the production we got this year.
their first time around was through drafting...this time around they mortgaged everything to get there.....

75boyz

Reaction score
It's sorta like the fire triangle.
Heat, Fuel and Oxygen. If missing ONE element you have no fire.

With NFL team building its GM, HC and QB1.
This team is not only missing ONE element but all THREE.

There will be no championship fire.

Brooksey

Reaction score
We used to be really bad at drafting after Jimmy J and spent our money on FA...now we're the opposite, all draft, pretty good but NO BIG FA's.

You need balance - good drafting and sprinkle in one or two FA stars, like we did with Deion and Haley.

That door is open right now

Brax

Reaction score
They haven’t had a first round pick since 2016….it’s foolish IMO…..
Would you rather have first round picks or two SB appearances. It's not like they traded for scrubs, they built a very good roster, and they did in 5 years what Jerry couldn't do in 26. Worked very well for them not so foolish as the results are working. Dallas has I like our guys and over rates talent. This team is trapped in Jerry's dilutional mind and poor talent evaluation as the results seem to point out. "This is a championship roster built to compete for a super bowl" is the yearly bill of goods sold by the jones 5 ring circus and as long as they keep drafting the Taco's, Jaylon Smiths, Randy Gregory's, Trysten Hills, Conner Williams, S Lee's, Felix Jones and Quncy Carters it's not going to get much better.

glimmerman

Reaction score
These other teams do not have a country club atmosphere. I don’t have a problem with JJ making sure they have the best things and those perks but we don’t stay hungry all year. We get to the playoffs and think we will just turn it on when needed. Our coaching don’t make adjustments or keep them fired up and these are adults not high school or college players but still need good coaching. These penalties could have been worked on harder and coaches like the O-Line coach seemingly did nothing.. They all rode on the talent of the team. And no accountability even though talk a big game about it. The players still seem to know or believe the owner has the power. I don’t see that on other teams.

aikemirv

Reaction score
and yet they were the easiest dropped interception ever away from sitting at home right now!

There method lucked out honestly!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Would you rather have first round picks or two SB appearances. It's not like they traded for scrubs, they built a very good roster, and they did in 5 years what Jerry couldn't do in 26. Worked very well for them not so foolish as the results are working. Dallas has I like our guys and over rates talent. This team is trapped in Jerry's dilutional mind and poor talent evaluation as the results seem to point out. "This is a championship roster built to compete for a super bowl" is the yearly bill of goods sold by the jones 5 ring circus and as long as they keep drafting the Taco's, Jaylon Smiths, Randy Gregory's, Trysten Hills, Conner Williams, S Lee's, Felix Jones and Quncy Carters it's not going to get much better.
I’m going with the formula that’s been proven to work and that Rams crap hasn’t…..I’d be careful assuming what worked for them works for you…can you imagine if we traded last years pick? I also like how you assume it’s the trades that are the reason for their success…not the McVey guy huh?

willia451

Reaction score
We're never going to do anything that may resurrect 5-11 back to back to back.

They always want to ensure we have enough to contend for the NFCE and make the playoffs. Even if it winds up being just a wildcard.

They believe that if you can get in the tournament, anything can happen.

It's not really true. At least not anymore. Most know that. They apparently don't.

RS12

Reaction score
Don't matter how you do it, it ain't happening in Dallas. Been needing a NT n FS for over 5 years. We're talking about a team that pays the kicker more than the starting FS, SS, nickel CB n NT...the kicker.
And that kicker is average at best. Talent evaluation and who to pay. Jerry and Stevie dont know their rear end from their elbow.

RS12

Reaction score
…….Jerry knows best. He won a couple 3 Super Bowls last Century
Posters that pull that card out are my absolute favorites. Of course they jump over the fact that Bob Ackles and Jimmy built those teams. Jerry was busy chasing money back then. An insignificant and inconvenient fact, i know.

Brax

Reaction score
I’m going with the formula that’s been proven to work and that Rams crap hasn’t…..I’d be careful assuming what worked for them works for you…can you imagine if we traded last years pick? I also like how you assume it’s the trades that are the reason for their success…not the McVey guy huh?
Last years "pick" I guess all the bad ones don't matter, you called it foolish, it worked for them your way hasn't worked for 27 years and counting. I never said it was the right way just pointed out it wasn't foolish as it worked for them, don't think the Jones boys are smart enough to do what the Rams did. MM is to busy at the chow line so not much matters to him.

shabazz

Reaction score
Posters that pull that card out are my absolute favorites. Of course they jump over the fact that Bob Ackles and Jimmy built those teams. Jerry was busy chasing money back then. An insignificant and inconvenient fact, i know.

……those posters could be saying it sarcastically……hence the last Century wordingo_O

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Last years "pick" I guess all the bad ones don't matter, you called it foolish, it worked for them your way hasn't worked for 27 years and counting. I never said it was the right way just pointed out it wasn't foolish as it worked for them, don't think the Jones boys are smart enough to do what the Rams did. MM is to busy at the chow line so not much matters to him.
It’s foolish…..it’s working for them but who’s to say if they didn’t trade all those picks that they wouldn’t have won a ring by now?

What SB winner has traded all of their picks like that? I’m not saying it won’t work for the Rams. It may. That’s just not the way to do it.