Team building

MajesticRey

Reaction score
The problem isn’t spending a lot in Free Agency. The problem is spending top dollar for many years on aging players looking to collect one last paycheck.

Also need to be smart to not overspend on luxury positions. That flashy CB for $20M/year? Pass… spend that money on a quality DL guy. A great RB becomes available? Don’t overpay. You can probably spend that same money to grab a great OL and maybe even a decent (small name) RB.

Dre11

Reaction score
The Cowboys do all the smart team building things that are just textbook.

Draft, skip Free Agency, pay their own guys and pay them top dollar.

The Rams have been to 2 Superbowls in recent years and they get rid of picks for players and constantly go and get guys. Nothing conservative about their approach.

You could make the argument the Bucs did the same thing as well as the Broncos in recent years.

Is the way the Cowboys team build a recipe for success or will they never have enough to get over the hump?

Sadly, every year our upgrades are just rookies and it’s rare to get the production we got this year.

What the Rams do is hit and miss, WFT used to do it that way and it failed, Philly tried and it failed, Jerry used to do it and he got criticized for it.
Inmo, there a few ways you can do it. The key is getting it all to work together.

kskboys

Reaction score
What the Rams do is hit and miss, WFT used to do it that way and it failed, Philly tried and it failed, Jerry used to do it and he got criticized for it.
Inmo, there a few ways you can do it. The key is getting it all to work together.
Due to inferior football analysation skills, Jerry was notorious for signing the wrong players. That's why he got criticized.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Saints and Packers went all in to get Super Bowls with their aging HoF QBs. No Super Bowl appearances for either of them, and this offseason it will destroy both of their teams. The Giants went all in on Daniel Jones's rookie deal and face planted. Being aggressive isn't an auto-win strategy.

I do think Green Bay and New Orleans made the right calculation to bet big, and I would make it again if I was in their shoes. NYG had a stupid process though. There was just no window with Jones where it was worth sacrificing the future for a mediocre present.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The problem isn’t spending a lot in Free Agency. The problem is spending top dollar for many years on aging players looking to collect one last paycheck.

Also need to be smart to not overspend on luxury positions. That flashy CB for $20M/year? Pass… spend that money on a quality DL guy. A great RB becomes available? Don’t overpay. You can probably spend that same money to grab a great OL and maybe even a decent (small name) RB.

Spot on, but then again we don't have the CAP to spend on free agents. The argument is that we are left with JAGS, to round out the roster, due to those overly inflated contracts.

Gaede

Reaction score
I really don't think there's a 'method' to team building. What our team does would be smart, if we also were aggressive when we needed to be. We've basically run away from free agency, which is silly, because we then have to fill every hole in the draft, rather than draft the best player available.

I don't like the Rams 'all-in' idea; too much could go wrong. But I guess when you have a good coach and a strong organization, you're OK with that risk. We're not set up like that.

RonWashington

Reaction score

The Rams have been to 2 Superbowls in recent years and they get rid of picks for players and constantly go and get guys. Nothing conservative about their approach.

You could make the argument the Bucs did the same thing as well as the Broncos in recent years.

Is the way the Cowboys team build a recipe for success or will they never have enough to get over the hump?

Sadly, every year our upgrades are just rookies and it’s rare to get the production we got this year.

I must have missed something . I thought Carlos Watkins and Kearse and Neal Hooker & Kazee we’re all brought in at the free agency buffet table and the defense appeared superior to what it had been.

I think people get caught up in see if you bring in some expensive talent from other teams you win a SB . It’s not that easy .

Cmac

Reaction score
I think many people thought that is how you build a winner, but the problem is that we do not have many "winners" on the team.

By that I mean we have a lot of "great" and "potential" players, but no proven "winners" on the team.

The Cowboys have a lot of "think they already won" players though :D
And a lot of "think they already won" coaches, including the ones that haven't won anything.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Spot on, but then again we don't have the CAP to spend on free agents. The argument is that we are left with JAGS, to round out the roster, due to those overly inflated contracts.
Most of our restricting contracts came from within: Zeke, Dak, Lawrence. Cooper would be our worst “free agency” contract (although he was a trade).

The philosophy I mentioned applies to all contracts, both internal (re-signing) and FA. Can’t overpay your homegrown players, either.

Bill’s business model in New England obviously worked for years. I know he had the GOAT (duh), but obviously the team around Brady (Bill’s business model) was also good enough to support him.

jsb357

Reaction score
We like our guys……

tenor.gif

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I think the way that LA has been built is insane. It should net them a SB, which Dallas hasn't had in a quarter Century, but their team is unsustainable.

How did Jimmy come in and turn the Dallas Cowboys around? Jimmy was a master motivator, he could teach, he demanded discipline, and he monitored the needs of his players. He held coaches and players accountable. He could evaluate players, if Jerry gave him enough of them. He never allowed the team to get fat and comfortable.
How did Big Bill keep the Patriots winning --- young and hungry-- not fat and happy.

What caused Jimmy to leave, and never to have success again like that? Salary cap kept him from having a Jerry who would bring in massive numbers of guys for him to pick through. Salary cap brought about changes that allowed players to be fat (wallet) and content.

Jerry wants a family atmosphere -- kind of, without the discipline. He wants his players to be happy. He wants control, and recognition -- after all it is his team.

If he wants to win -- everyone needs to be on edge and playing to get the $$$. Contracts need to be low based and have massive incentives in them. Jerry needs to be able to move on from mediocre talent with great lawyers. Discipline needs to happen top down.
Jerry needs to hold the GM responsible for how the team plays. GM needs to hold the coaches responsible. Coaches need to hold the players responsible.

Right now, I see a lack of discipline and no one responsible for their play --- just a whole lot of -- fat (wallet) happy content guys who put in the work, but have no desire and no accountability, mainly due to the salary cap.

IMO, the way to win today is to churn till you get the elite QB, then don't get attached but pay the lines first, second your CB's, and never get attached.

Brax

Reaction score
It’s foolish…..it’s working for them but who’s to say if they didn’t trade all those picks that they wouldn’t have won a ring by now?

What SB winner has traded all of their picks like that? I’m not saying it won’t work for the Rams. It may. That’s just not the way to do it.
Results, that is what matters they have a shot at a title that's what owners, coaches, players, and fans want. Thinking outside the box has shown results, thinking inside Jerry's box hasn't. The Rams are in the SB for the second time since trading all those picks so in a result-based business it appears their model is better than Jerry's 27-year model. You can't compete for a championship with one and done or believing every year "it's a championship roster" as your sales pitch.

Brax

Reaction score
Most of our restricting contracts came from within: Zeke, Dak, Lawrence. Cooper would be our worst “free agency” contract (although he was a trade).

The philosophy I mentioned applies to all contracts, both internal (re-signing) and FA. Can’t overpay your homegrown players, either.

Bill’s business model in New England obviously worked for years. I know he had the GOAT (duh), but obviously the team around Brady (Bill’s business model) was also good enough to support him.
Talent assessment isn't Jerrys strong point he likes his guy's and can't make the player decisions like BB can that are best for cap $ and talent level. Doesn't matter as Jerry does what he wants how he want which is his privilege as an owner.

kskboys

Reaction score
I really don't think there's a 'method' to team building. What our team does would be smart, if we also were aggressive when we needed to be. We've basically run away from free agency, which is silly, because we then have to fill every hole in the draft, rather than draft the best player available.

I don't like the Rams 'all-in' idea; too much could go wrong. But I guess when you have a good coach and a strong organization, you're OK with that risk. We're not set up like that.
No, it's not. We don't dip much into FA because we've already shot our bolt. We don't have the cap room. That's why we've run away from FA.

When we have dipped into it, our horrific player evaluation caused us to misfire. Especially at DT, we just don't understand the position. Look at Cedric Thornton, 6-4/309. He was playing UT for Philly, but noooooooooooo, we signed him and said, "Ced, you're now our NT." And, as expected, he failed. We have this very strange notion that we can do whatever we want w/ any player, put them at any position we want.

Jerry goes all in all the time. We simply fail because he pays the wrong players. Why? Because he is a terrible talent evaluator, as he is not a football man. We have a GM who refuses to watch player tape, are you aware of that?

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Talent assessment isn't Jerrys strong point he likes his guy's and can't make the player decisions like BB can that are best for cap $ and talent level. Doesn't matter as Jerry does what he wants how he want which is his privilege as an owner.
With our luck, Jerry will live past 100.

Gaede

Reaction score
No, it's not. We don't dip much into FA because we've already shot our bolt. We don't have the cap room. That's why we've run away from FA.

When we have dipped into it, our horrific player evaluation caused us to misfire. Especially at DT, we just don't understand the position. Look at Cedric Thornton, 6-4/309. He was playing UT for Philly, but noooooooooooo, we signed him and said, "Ced, you're now our NT." And, as expected, he failed. We have this very strange notion that we can do whatever we want w/ any player, put them at any position we want.

Jerry goes all in all the time. We simply fail because he pays the wrong players. Why? Because he is a terrible talent evaluator, as he is not a football man. We have a GM who refuses to watch player tape, are you aware of that?

That's what I'm saying. Our approach would be smart if we had the ownership and coaching to go along with it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The Rams are a good model for Jethro to follow. Maybe once Dak is done he’ll give it a shot. But he’s not bailing on his boy for awhile longer. He’s determined to prove benching Romo wasn’t a mistake.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

This^^^^^^

This should be a sticky on every one of these type threads.

Awesome K!!!!!!