Team ranks info on (Machota reported) possible external DC candidates

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Yall can keep saying this but a good coach doesn't have his unit bad year after year if that's his expertise. If he was so great and head of a number 1 d why is his name not ringing in nfl circles? Yea ok.
Add to that, his unit was not devoid of talent either. Khakil Mack ,Bosa , The cornerback forgot his name, Derwin James, Eric Kendricks and his unit was complete trash for several years with guys of that caliber.

ICP

Reaction score
Um. Pardon the observation. But. Apparently neither do any of us, since it doesn't appear that anyone has an actual name to throw out there as an exciting candidate... but I don't read every thread, so maybe I just missed it... educate me.

Then too... how do you even evaluate an "under the radar" guy... being fair, I honestly don't know how you would gain insight into other teams' position coaches other than second- and third-hand talk for which there's good reason to be skeptical.
Well to be honest, I'm not paid to know and recognize young, innovative, under-the-radar coaches that could be promoted to OC and DC positions. Jerry and Stephen though, as GM and Director of Player Personnel have put themselves in positions where they should. My point is that our HC, OC, and DC are usually ones that are promoted from within the organization or have been around for a fairly long time.

_sturt_

Reaction score
where they should
Okay. I'll give you that, as long as you affirm that the question of how you do that is, at best, complicated, and confounded by filters and barriers.

usually ones that are promoted from within the organization
Don't know about "usually," but yes, it's not unusual. And to your point maybe even stronger... you have guys who start here, and go somewhere else and seem to be doing well in their most recent gig... I'm thinking of someone like a George Edwards. So, you know the guy already, have high regard for him, have insight into his strengths and weaknesses, and so, could be intrigued to think about him coming back to take a bigger role than he's had here before. (I emphasize... like a George Edwards... not necessarily him in particular.)

Here's a name. Just spitballin. McCarthy had the same D-line coach most of his years in GB, Mike Trgovac. So, someone McCarthy has great familiarity with and confidence in. Not young, but at 60, not old either. Is he DC material? How would I know? I'm just sayin, yes there no doubt could be some under the radar options out there that could get consideration.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Man I don't know if you paid attention in the last four years but the chargers had some big names on defense some really good players so I'm not sure what you mean by he moved to a team that had worse players maybe it's because as a head coach he couldn't concentrate on being a good defensive coordinator...
Not sure which players you mean but big names don't mean good players.
This year they were trash at CB and the All-star safety was awful.

Mack was good(6h by PFF), Joey Bosa(27th) was solid.
Alohi was good at safety(9th).

LB was poor(25 and 75), interior D(65, 77,118, 125) was bad.
Derwin James fell off the map(72nd).

Defense is as much about filling holes as it is stars.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zimmer would be the worst and most boring pick, so that is who I think Jerry selects. And also because of the "we like our guys" philosophy.
I'd place Zimmer above Rivera but that's like D+ to F for me.
Need someone who can work with players we have and brings energy and innovation.
I am very much in favor of a college coach.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
who did he sign with?
He hasn’t signed with anyone but he damn sure ain’t signing here to be a coordinator for a lame duck coach a year after already being fired. He can sit out, get paid, refresh, and not lose any of his value.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not sure which players you mean but big names don't mean good players.
This year they were trash at CB and the All-star safety was awful.

Mack was good(6h by PFF), Joey Bosa(27th) was solid.
Alohi was good at safety(9th).

LB was poor(25 and 75), interior D(65, 77,118, 125) was bad.
Derwin James fell off the map(72nd).

Defense is as much about filling holes as it is stars.
you can say that all you want i'm not debating LAC right now... they had a lot of defenders that were better than ours over the last 3 years., it was COACHING IMO and schemes thats my opinion! PFF lmao UMM ok they are the final word and source on who's good. Mack was as good or better then parsons this year. mans stats were great, had safety we have coveted since the draft, a DE like bosa also as good as tank or parsons.

fell off the map ? you mean like Parsons does on the backend of every year like a lot of how our team has caved in the end more times than i change my boxers?? coaches have the Pieces but dont use them correctly.. DQ IMHO also didnt do good job with our players. holes or not its why a team lie the raiders can fire 50%of the coaching staff and jettison some players mud season and finished stronger, saw that happen in Carolina in 2022 to finish the season after all those trades and firings.. How is that? coaching is important its 50-50 deal but if you don't think dont think that talent on that D , that on you.

LysleE

Reaction score
Jerry…Dak has been a starting QB in the NFL for 8 years and you are just figuring this out?