Team USA Basketball Thread - 2012 London Olympic Games

Reaction score
Team USA is doing a great job at taking the ball to the rim. Last game they settled for way too many jumpers.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
I got tickets for my daughters to see GB vs Spain and USA vs Nigeria.

Are they likely to be close games? :)

So who are the top Basketball teams in the Olympics?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Doomsday;4624322 said:
The 92 Dream Team didnt exactly get off to a great start, losing to Duke in an exhibition game their first time out. It will take them a few games to get in sync.

Not to digress, just a fact check here.
They never played Duke and in the infamous practice vs college all-stars they did play, their Coach later admitted to throwing the game, not playing the stars, and not making any adjustments...just to get their attention. The team later beat that same team by nearly 100 points. Webber claims the all-stars did not even score one FG in the entrie game....which is hard to believe.

Anyway
Back to 2012

I like the idea of this being a Olympic Basketball thread for all nations.

Woods

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;4626163 said:
I got tickets for my daughters to see GB vs Spain and USA vs Nigeria.

Are they likely to be close games? :)

So who are the top Basketball teams in the Olympics?

From what I can make out, the top competition is Spain and Argentina.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4626257 said:
Great move by Coach K to put D-Will in the starting lineup. He was terrific today.

Great move to take Carmelo out.

They did a much better job with ball movement and slashing to the hoop to get easy buckets. If they do that, and play good defense (coughCarmelocough) they'll win fairly handily until the medal rounds.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
One more thing - they HAVE to stop worrying about the referees. The refs in FIBA call games the way officials are supposed to. These aren't NBA refs out there making ridiculous calls.

Reaction score
Big game for Team USA today against Spain. They have a huge advantage over us inside with the Gasol brothers and Serge Ibaka. We obviously have the perimeter advantage. We've looked rather sloppy in some of the exhibition games. Today will be a challenge for sure. Go Team USA!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
We smashed Spain today, who I thought was going to be a big threat.

I think we have to worry about Brazil and Argentina this year.

Reaction score
Spain got off to the great start, but then Team USA took over. Spain nor anybody really can keep with our speed and athleticism on the perimeter. Melo was on fire again. His game is really suited for FIBA play.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Short work of France. Tunisia is up next...probably going to be a blowout. Guessing minimum 40 points.

They're looking better especially with Carmelo Anthony on the bench. Kobe looks slimmer and quicker too...might help him in the regular season.

Westbrook still takes horrible shots...funny that he can barely get on the court with Coach K. He doesn't play that BS.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
casmith07;4631743 said:
We smashed Spain today, who I thought was going to be a big threat.

I think we have to worry about Brazil and Argentina this year.

Shouldn't worry about any team. If they lose to anybody it'll be a disgrace with the players on this team.

Reaction score
casmith07;4638634 said:
Short work of France. Tunisia is up next...probably going to be a blowout. Guessing minimum 40 points.

They're looking better especially with Carmelo Anthony on the bench. Kobe looks slimmer and quicker too...might help him in the regular season.

Westbrook still takes horrible shots...funny that he can barely get on the court with Coach K. He doesn't play that BS.

Kobe and Westbrick need to pass the ball. They've been chucking like there's no tommorow.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of records broken today with this USA basketball team.

Of course this team would never have a chance against the '92 team. :)

rynochop

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4644654 said:
We are so good it's almost not any fun to watch.

Is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters...not the least bit interesting. Let's assemble a pro bowl team of NFL players and go whip up on Croatia in football. I mean really? We've been doing this for 20 years now, bring back college kids.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RastaRocket;4644654 said:
We are so good it's almost not any fun to watch.
It hasn't been fun to watch since the Argentina game. Even the France game was more interesting.

That game against Tunisia started off interesting, but you know it would only be a matter of time before the US turned on the jets.

That Nigeria game just plain ol sucked. I turned the channel.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
rynochop;4644677 said:
Is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters...not the least bit interesting. Let's assemble a pro bowl team of NFL players and go whip up on Croatia in football. I mean really? We've been doing this for 20 years now, bring back college kids.

realistically a college team wouldn't medal. Outside of the fact that they would be going up against other teams NBA players, and ignoring the age differences, the truth is a team consisting of college players only wouldn't have the talent to even compete. Maybe if they started forcing players to stay 3 or 4 years, but with the 1 and done (or even 2 years from HS if they are ever able to get that), a team of college players would get slaughtered.

May as well not even compete.

Reaction score
Congrats to Melo for breaking the Olympics scoring record. Kobe played a very efficient game. Can't wait to see him play with Nash! Team USA is just too good for any other team even with all the injuries.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LONDON – After the United States was done delivering the most devastating defeat in the history of Olympic basketball, a 156-73 obliteration of Nigeria, USA coach Mike Krzyzewski sniffed over the suggestion that the Americans had gone too far in an 83-point humiliation of a fledgling African program.

Records tumbled in stunning and spectacular fashion, a surreal 29 Team USA three-pointers dropping into the basket in Thursday's Pool A Olympic tournament game. Carmelo Anthony had 37 points, and did so playing in a mere 14 minutes. No one had ever scored so many points in an Olympic game – 138 by Brazil in 1988 was the record – and the record for three-pointers had been broken before halftime.

Nevertheless, a question in the postgame news conference about the U.S. running up the score stiffened Krzyzewski, inspiring him to respond with marked defiance.

"We didn't play LeBron [James] and Kobe [Bryant] in the second half, and with Carmelo shooting like that, we benched him," Krzyzewski said. "We didn't take any fast breaks in the fourth quarter, and we played all zone. You have to take a shot every 24 seconds, and the shots we took happened to be hit.

Read more: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...a-by-83-points--coach-k-ired-at-question.html