Team USA Basketball Thread - 2012 London Olympic Games

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4644685 said:
It hasn't been fun to watch since the Argentina game. Even the France game was more interesting.

That game against Tunisia started off interesting, but you know it would only be a matter of time before the US turned on the jets.

That Nigeria game just plain ol sucked. I turned the channel.

I had the USA, giving 80...

Yesssssssss... :D

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
rynochop;4644677 said:
Is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters...not the least bit interesting. Let's assemble a pro bowl team of NFL players and go whip up on Croatia in football. I mean really? We've been doing this for 20 years now, bring back college kids.

If and when the other countries keep their NBA players out of it, but not until then... that's why we started losing at the Olympics, we were running out college stars, other nations were running out NBA players...

We are the home of the best basketball players in the world, are we supposed to handicap ourselves because we're so much better than the rest of the world??

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
silverbear;4644719 said:
If and when the other countries keep their NBA players out of it, but not until then... that's why we started losing at the Olympics, we were running out college stars, other nations were running out NBA players...

We are the home of the best basketball players in the world, are we supposed to handicap ourselves because we're so much better than the rest of the world??

I never understood that logic. Should Russia make it's best gymnast stay home, or should Usain Bolt be barred from the Olympics?

mldardy

Reaction score
rynochop;4644677 said:
Is like watching the Harlem Globetrotters...not the least bit interesting. Let's assemble a pro bowl team of NFL players and go whip up on Croatia in football. I mean really? We've been doing this for 20 years now, bring back college kids.
Most of them, at least the best are in the NBA. If you want to lose then yeah college kids are fine.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
silverbear;4644719 said:

Many countries have some sport in the Olympics that they were better at then the rest of the world. They aren't going to handicap themselves in whatever sport they dominate in during the Olympics. Don't see why we have to do it because we happen to be better in basketball.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
NIGERIAN-CROSSOVER.gif

:laugh1:

Ren

Reaction score
Be glad that wasn't Spain or Argentina today, i doubt they would turn it over 27 times.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Howardlittleton64;4646455 said:
Dream Team would crush the current USA team. The ease in which Lithuania scored was disappointing lets play a little defense fellas.
I was shocked how they just ole'd them to the basket. No defense whatsoever.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
mldardy;4646508 said:
Who cares. Comparing different eras at this point is pointless. I don't recall Dream Team beating any opponent by 83 points and scoring 156 points. They won the game and that is all that matters.

Winning by 83 won't matter if they play like today and get beaten in the medal round

Reaction score
mldardy;4646508 said:
Who cares. Comparing different eras at this point is pointless. I don't recall Dream Team beating any opponent by 83 points and scoring 156 points. They won the game and that is all that matters.

The current USA team seems to think it's relevant. They said they were better. They aren't. The Dream Team wouldn't have barley won today. They would have won easily and would have played defense. The current team doesn't even play defense, it's sad.

Reaction score
Lauren Perdue is one of the United States’ top swimmers, and on Wednesday she swam the first leg of the 4×200 women’s freestyle relay.

Just before the Games began, she tweeted, “Lebron James just invited me to dinner…Um wuuuutttt?!?” Around that time, the photo at right showed up on Perdue’s Instagram account. That is most definitely LeBron, trendy dork glasses and all.

On Wednesday, just after her relay, she gave the full scoop. Before the Games began, the “Dream Team” hung with the swimmers in a kind of Avengers-meets-Justice-League American hero summit. In the course of that, LeBron did indeed invite Perdue to dinner.

“He was basically like, ‘Would you like to come eat with me at the dining hall?’ And I said, ‘Um, I’m sorry, I have a curfew.’”

Source: Black Sports Online

Kobe is still better than LeBron in the most important category. :laugh2:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Embarrassing performance against Lithuania. When we send our "varsity" team with most of the Top-10 NBA players, we should always win every game handily. Not being arrogant, it's just how it should be because it's not close compared to the rest of the world, talent-wise. Now if it's like 2004 and you're bringing the JV team then sure, they get a little leeway but not when you have LeBron, Durant, Kobe, CP3, Deron, Carmelo together.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4646568 said:
The current USA team seems to think it's relevant. They said they were better. They aren't. The Dream Team wouldn't have barley won today. They would have won easily and would have played defense. The current team doesn't even play defense, it's sad.

but the game is also more worldly today so to speak, a lot more euros and south americans in the NBA. The rest of the world is better.

Reaction score
Howardlittleton64;4646568 said:

A win is a win. Stop complaining. You people took Kobe's comments way out of context. He said they could ONE game against the Dream Team. Not a series. You're absolutelt nuts if you don't think a team with LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, and Carmelo Anthony can't win one game against the Dream Team. As good as the Dream Team was they were also an old team which would've struggled with this current team's superior athleticism.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan;4647220 said:
but the game is also more worldly today so to speak, a lot more euros and south americans in the NBA. The rest of the world is better.

Thank you.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4647225 said:
A win is a win. Stop complaining. You people took Kobe's comments way out of context. He said they could ONE game against the Dream Team. Not a series. You're absolutelt nuts if you don't think a team with LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, and Carmelo Anthony can't win one game against the Dream Team. As good as the Dream Team was they were also an old team which would've struggled with this current team's superior athleticism.

Exactly, the guys today are in better shape, younger etc

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
READ THE THREAD.

THIS IS NOT A '92 DREAM TEAM THREAD. FINAL WARNING.