Twitter: Teams are calling Cowboys to trade

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
As much as the DL cost us in the Rams game, Heath was just as horrific.

A better strong safety in run support might make that game a lot more competitive.

It is not just about missed tackles. It is about bad reads and poor angles to ball carriers.

You can do this with any safety in the NFL that we're talking about trading for right now.

The Rams game was also entirely about scheme. There's no way that the safety should be getting blocked by an uncovered OL/TE in the run game against 11 personnel, and on the bootleg, they optioned the safety and he chose the wrong one.

Heath leaves a lot to be desired as a starter, but Cowboys fans badly overestimate what the SS position in this defense has the potential to actually be, and badly underestimate how Heath's play is repeated on 20-something teams around the league.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I would not trade any Olineman AT ALL,i would trade jordan Lewis though since he rarely plays.

Honestly...He's been horrible in the slot. I expected more. I like him on the outside better....but we won't play him there. @ this point...I think I could live w/ a Lewis for Joseph trade.

I really liked this kid coming out of Michigan...:banghead:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Falling out of bed, Joseph is better than anything this team has at strong safety.
Fine. But he wouldn't be a difference maker in this defense, because the SS isn't put in a position to be. The Cowboys defense struggles to create turnovers. Joseph doesn't do that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have heard more than one nfl "expert" say next year's draft will be very short on o-linemen. Ergo the calls make perfect sense. Stephen is wise to wait. An injury to another team's lineman in tc only raises the value of ours.
I am not necessarily saying a move has to be done now.

But if it looks like in camp that Iloka is not threatening Heath and that Donovan Wilson is not the Kam Chancellor clone he is being sold as, I definitely move Collins or anyone else on the roster who can fetch value.

Trading a player on the final year of his contract and getting something for him more than a fourth round comp pick is a win.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If they forced him to play guard, the Raiders would be ensuring themselves of a one year rental, and a guy who wouldn't sign a new deal there.

Their big need is at left guard, where Chaz frickin Green is in contention for the job. Nothing worse need be said.

And Joseph is walking @ the end of the season as well...they might as well buy themselves some time...and maybe even convince the guy to stick around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not exactly. Kolton Miller has a chronic knee issue. They did pay Trent Brown, but if Miller has problems all year long, they will need a tackle. They are also hurting at LG, Collins could go there. If he wants to stay a tackle, that's something he can market in free agency. Who cares what he wants if there is a trade?

A team trading for him should. I'm not worrying about it from our end, just trying to make sense of it from theirs. They're committed to Miller and Brown as their tackles.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
As much as the DL cost us in the Rams game, Heath was just as horrific.

A better strong safety in run support might make that game a lot more competitive.

It is not just about missed tackles. It is about bad reads and poor angles to ball carriers.

Is that first play supposed to be on Heath? Because I don't see it. That was on Jaylon.

2nd play is a well documented goof by Heath. I'm all for trading for an upgrade at safety, but not so sure a safety would've mattered much in this particular game with how awful the front 7 was. They got destroyed. Didn't help that the Rams O-line knew which way the Cowboys DL was stunting 90% of the game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Joseph is walking @ the end of the season as well...they might as well buy themselves some time...and maybe even convince the guy to stick around.

If it is the Raiders and it is Joseph involved, they're morons. They wait until after the 5th year option can't be exercised and then decide they want to trade the guy.
:facepalm:

Alexander

Reaction score
Honestly...He's been horrible in the slot. I expected more. I like him on the outside better..
His best plays in the Saints game were from the slot. He is not able to play the press perimeter well enough, at least the way Richard runs it. Anthony Brown is better at it, primarily due to his physicality.

Alexander

Reaction score
Is that first play supposed to be on Heath? Because I don't see it. That was on Jaylon.
I agree that was Smith mostly, but it is utterly sad how Heath was easily washed out. Quite simply, I don't see him as instinctive enough inside the box.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fine. But he wouldn't be a difference maker in this defense, because the SS isn't put in a position to be. The Cowboys defense struggles to create turnovers. Joseph doesn't do that.

Nobody on this team does. But that doesn't mean that Joseph isn't a better strong safety than Jeff Heath.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that was Smith mostly, but it is utterly sad how Heath was easily washed out. Quite simply, I don't see him as instinctive enough inside the box.

That's where he always comes up short - instincts, and anticipating plays and angles. I thought it might come in time, it hasn't. And in all likelihood it never will.

Alexander

Reaction score
Heath leaves a lot to be desired as a starter, but Cowboys fans badly overestimate what the SS position in this defense has the potential to actually be, and badly underestimate how Heath's play is repeated on 20-something teams around the league.

The SS role in this scheme (at least as far as Richard's influence goes) is important enough; there is a reason why you still hear Richard mentioning Chancellor. Now Marinelli has never valued it, you can see his years with trash like Chris Conte running around in it as proof. And just because there are twenty plus teams undervaluing it does not mean we need to continue doing so.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He shouldn't be playing SS. I think he does ok, but he is better when playing FS than SS and that is on richard. Of course he was probably the best SS candidate on the roster last year. If frazier could cover a little he'd probably start.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nobody on this team does. But that doesn't mean that Joseph isn't a better strong safety than Jeff Heath.
I'm not going to argue who is better, because it doesn't matter. The point is that Joseph doesn't improve anything for this defense. They need to force more turnovers, and Joseph doesn't do that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The SS role in this scheme (at least as far as Richard's influence goes) is important enough; there is a reason why you still hear Richard mentioning Chancellor. Now Marinelli has never valued it, you can see his years with trash like Chris Conte running around in it as proof. And just because there are twenty plus teams undervaluing it does not mean we need to continue doing so.
A true SS is dead in today's NFL. If you can't cover, you can't play.

But I'm fine with spending more resources on a second safety - I've wanted them to. The point is that there's nobody out there they can reasonably trade for who is going to make any impact on game day.

MaaS

Reaction score
Not surprising. Assuming Frederick comes back as expected, this is one of the deepest NFL oline's I can recall. It's kind of unreal. Note I'm not making a statement on "best."