Tell me why you’d pay Dak?

CPanther95

Reaction score
"He can do some of what both of those guys do."

My minivan carries more people than a Bugatti Chiron, is faster than an M1A1 Abrams and is more aerodynamic than an F350.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hey, how did this Eagles Trophy Case pic get in this thread?

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/zAiiLPs2jWtOj3fcDvk-jnyj_QH4kCxvu56yMHdQlVlGgw7AQI7YDeA0SJDblFUWlej1iCM1a5UKYhbf09XzxD3r5WgbZ4sh2WZ3k5hqdy370ryGTMN648GVTEklFCYLuDDtw_SGV__lF-mADAJWhAUNLbC86Wbon2ifVgD3ct61ffcKWaQjMYr-LQyqUjgWTg5oRE53FFo6ZjwssOluMEdMfZ4wvj4QN5n34uORD8RD8EIk_MuU-M5A_ewOAsz3cbN_ifmHJN5dQkdg7fxek0k9tNyDkggX2Xp0Bay4S0V36MUA9LxIc58xpWvnKOX4RLNaQE4zErpznXXFWbzaCWeYjtj2_jkNOEk62rBa_vjp6_ATV_9WhN1lqMQ5zIRUZ2cit8MaehCspsiy2H-3eQ7vHOd6v-h57Mj3v1T5Geam_uc4YBZd2RtCNIz-1yd2k-V-MpKdMzICQL1Jti5GazEuevEXhfjovqjLXR1xhRpQKtycHa1ymoThYYVJm_wkqDNjITPmKP-L5Cdd1O5Acs4OPxzYaXTXxR2zs5FII2Jp0ayZpNft6h-tgLVIFIQwpktHHrusatvDKuHhF6tHH5O4W4ylorwaoF1YVMApAsN6fg9mVPgf85BozVXf7MoXGns6YHPC8L45zj5ktHr2_7ErTQnnE_pz=w500-h375-no

CWR

Reaction score
Lol, I have NEVER bought into the pay Dak talk. Paying him is the last thing we need to be thinking of. Let him earn it first, IF he can!

JDSmith

Reaction score
Haven't read the thread, but paying him would be beyond idiotic. The whole point of Dak Prescott is to get a dirt cheap QB who can drive the bus and allow them to build a team around him with all of the money he frees up. The second you start paying him like a franchise QB you actually need him to play like one - because there won't be money left to pay other guys. So we'll suffer at other positions, but in theory having the franchise QB will make up for that. Dak has played anywhere from very good, to solid, to wretched - and in that order. So far he's exactly the opposite of the guy you'd want to pay, because his arrow is pointing down. If Dak wants to get paid he's got to make a major turnaround.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who says they’re going to pay him $100M?

I don’t think that would be a very good ROI.

I can think of a lot more places they could designate that kind of money to. They would be much better served in the long run.
exactly OP no one has stated to anyone hes getting big money..hes got to prove it and we have even another year to wait and then a tag if needed..although many 100mil plus signal callers arent playing well right now..no way the Joneses at this point are going to hand a guy that money while in the midst of a bad 9 game stretch Maybe 5 yrs agi but with SJ having more say Jerry isn't going to back the truck up to a qb that right now looks lie Quincy Carter reborn..maybe he turns a corner someday but right now no early contracts coming for dak..Treat him like Kirk Cousins right now until you let hi go..

what tyrod taylor making? thats daks payscale right now, 16mil per 2yr deal..going rate for average starting QBs id say

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think I would pay him yet, but I would give him a new coach for reasons that I've said plenty of times to see if it's him or Garrett. I think Garrett's had long enough and has shown that he's incompetent. I'd be willing to think that it's at least a combination of the two if not mostly Garrett. If Dak sucks after Garrett's gone, then so be it. Then it's time for a new QB for sure, but I wouldn't bail on Dak yet.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Who says they’re going to pay him $100M?

I don’t think that would be a very good ROI.

I can think of a lot more places they could designate that kind of money to. They would be much better served in the long run.

Yes, such as more defence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Folks,

In Sunday's game, we all saw the play where Jarwin was down the seam all alone. Dak was breaking away towards the line of scrimmage. He makes a split second decision and throws the ball to Jarwin. The decision wasn't a bad one. What was bad was the throw.

If this was Prescott's rookie season, in his inaugural game, I could understand this being a rookie mistake.

However, when you are STARTING YOUR 3RD SEASON WITH A COUPLE OF FULL OFF SEASONS TO WORK ON MECHANICS - THIS IS A HUGE RED FLAG!

It wasn't just this play. There were receivers open on a number of occasions and when he found them, most of the time the pass was off one way or another.

Sorry folks, I saw a lot more Quincy Carter on Sunday than Tony Romo.

Actually, that play was one that I put blame on the coach because that was a play that he would've run on in his rookie year. If you look at the play again, he's got a MASSIVE lane for a first down. In fact, I could see him getting to around where he was throwing the ball anyway with the gap in front of him. That's where I think the root of the problem is. He's not running anywhere near as much as he did in his rookie season. As we saw with Cam, that's how you freeze a defence and open up more options for your team. I've said for ages on many threads that Dak's similar to McNabb, and his legs are just as much a weapon as his arm if not more so. The problem is that the coaches have seemingly stripped that from him to try and force him to be a pocket passer which he isn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He can’t throw guys open.

He can’t accurately throw Down field.

He doesn’t make WR’s and TE’s better around
him.

He holds on to the ball too long.

If things aren’t going perfect for him he looks like a deer in headlights.

We have all admitted he is not good when Zeke isn’t dominating.

So my question is why are we going to pay this guy 100 million dollars ?
I can tell you why I think Jerry would.

First of all he is going to extend every effort to provide Dak every opportunity so he doesn’t look the fool for booting Romo to the curb. There’s already built in excuses this year with our recieving Corp and injuries in OL.

And Dak is the top selling jersey and has already attracted sponsors and advertising. Jerry can sell 8-8. He can certainly sell a mediocre QB.

Stephen stated early this year Dak is playing for the size of his contract meaning he’s already a lock for the job. It’s just a matter of how much and how long.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really like the guy and I was certainly guilty of getting caught up in all the hype and success of 2016. He has a lot going for him as a man and a football player, but DCs have caught up with him and the eye test is not casting him in good light as an NFL QB.

I think the coaching staff is also making life more difficult for him by way of scheme/playcalling, but Dak is inaccurate, lacks confidence in the pocket and doesn't have a great arm.

Can't pay the man. He is a back up, unless we are missing something significant that is yet to come, but I just don't see any significant change in his game suddenly appearing.
Well said, maxie.

droopdog7

Reaction score
The good thing is we should have a very good handle on whether we should pay Dak by the end of the year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Actually, that play was one that I put blame on the coach because that was a play that he would've run on in his rookie year. If you look at the play again, he's got a MASSIVE lane for a first down. In fact, I could see him getting to around where he was throwing the ball anyway with the gap in front of him. That's where I think the root of the problem is. He's not running anywhere near as much as he did in his rookie season. As we saw with Cam, that's how you freeze a defence and open up more options for your team. I've said for ages on many threads that Dak's similar to McNabb, and his legs are just as much a weapon as his arm if not more so. The problem is that the coaches have seemingly stripped that from him to try and force him to be a pocket passer which he isn't.

Comparing Dak to McNabb is an insult to McNabb.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Comparing Dak to McNabb is an insult to McNabb.

Actually, I don't think it is, and I'm not the one that originally came up with that comparison. The person that originally made that comparison currently coaches the Raiders, and I could see it in Dak's rookie season. I think if he had a coach like Reid who could use that style of the WCO that Dak would look MUCH better than he does under Garrett.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think it is, and I'm not the one that originally came up with that comparison. The person that originally made that comparison currently coaches the Raiders, and I could see it in Dak's rookie season. I think if he had a coach like Reid who could use that style of the WCO that Dak would look MUCH better than he does under Garrett.

McNabb was far more talented in nearly every way outside of his head. The only thing McNabb and Dak have in common are being mentally weak if they get punched in the mouth a couple times.

McNabb was a #1 pick for a reason, he was an ideal QB physically. Dak was never ideal physically and now it's questionable if he even has it intellectually.

That's why it's an insult. Being black and running a little doesn't make it an accurate comparison, even if it came from a coach. Dak is far more in common with Alex Smith, but even then, he's a poor man's Alex Smith.

waving monkey

Reaction score
He can’t throw guys open.

He can’t accurately throw Down field.

He doesn’t make WR’s and TE’s better around
him.

He holds on to the ball too long.

If things aren’t going perfect for him he looks like a deer in headlights.

We have all admitted he is not good when Zeke isn’t dominating.

So my question is why are we going to pay this guy 100 million dollars ?

why is it he could the first 18 games but he cant now?
If he doesn't correct his performance by contract time then they could go to a franchise tag for a few years.
We have sometime to make the contract judgement

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
McNabb was far more talented in nearly every way outside of his head. The only thing McNabb and Dak have in common are being mentally weak if they get punched in the mouth a couple times.

McNabb was a #1 pick for a reason, he was an ideal QB physically. Dak was never ideal physically and now it's questionable if he even has it intellectually.

That's why it's an insult. Being black and running a little doesn't make it an accurate comparison, even if it came from a coach. Dak is far more in common with Alex Smith, but even then, he's a poor man's Alex Smith.

Fair point about point 2, but don't you think a better coach could help Dak improve? I mean, let's face it, Garrett's terrible. I see Dak as more of a WCO-type of QB. Not a sit in the pocket and pick a defence apart QB. That's why I think he looks uncomfortable in this offence. He's in a system that doesn't suit him. I could be wrong, but I think the problem is the coach. If Dak's terrible after Garrett's gone too, then great, let's get a new QB, but I think that a WCO-style coach would suit Dak better.