Signed by Cowboys Terence Steele contract extended

Jumbo075

Reaction score
This contract for a player who was an undrafted college free agent a mere 40 months ago is why Dallas consistently gets their pick from the ranks of undrafted players. Don’t think that players currently in college don’t notice. They see that 3 undrafted free agent rookies made the team this season (Bass, Luepke, Aubrey). They see that this is not something unusual for the Cowboys.

Here are the undrafted players that are on the Cowboys’ 53-man roster this year:

• 2014 - DB C.J. Goodwin
  • 2017 - QB Cooper Rush
  • 2018 - LS Trent Sieg
  • 2020 - RB Rico Dowdle, OT Terence Steele,
  • 2022 - S/LB Markquese Bell, TE Peyton Hendershot, S Juanyeh Thomas, PR/KR Ka’Vontae Turpin
  • 2023 - PK Brandon Aubrey, OG T.J. Bass, FB Hunter Luepke
It is not just players that notice the Cowboys walk the walk when it comes to giving undrafted players a legitimate chance to compete and earn roster spots. Other player agents also notice, and they steer their clients to the Cowboys.

This contract for Steele will have ripple effects that benefit the Cowboys in recruiting players far beyond just the immediate benefit of Terence Steele and the stability of the Cowboys’ offensive line.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I think Steele is a good player, without a doubt an above average starting RT. But is he top 6/7 in the NFL like this contract says? I would def argue that.

Look at the whole team, and specifically the o-line, if there’s 1 thing this front office is good at it is plugging holes with draft picks. You’re telling me they could find and develop Steele as an UDFA, but couldn’t find an above average starter in any other way? Seems a bit far fetched, especially with Richards already showing promise.
I was thinking the same thing but now we need to spend a first or a 2nd on a RT then wait 2 to 3 years for him to develope. Can we afford to have a liability at RT when we have SB aspirations. We kinda had to.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is the only thing that gets me. At least have him play the first half of the season to show that he is healthy. No reason to rush it. If he cleared that hurdle, then pay the man. I'm fine with the dollars if he returns to form, but going on a wing and a prayer kind of sucks.
I get why they do that and it should actually work in our favor. Gallup was a good example in that it theoretically should give us a nice discount. And Steele really showed what a hard worker he is getting ready and being committed. But the Cowboys got NO discount. Paying him 17 million per year for a RT is crazy high.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Steele had the seventh highest grade among all offensive tackles last season and also allowed just one sack across 818 snaps played.

If that is "so so" there are about 50 garbage starting OT's in the NFL right now.
Steele is a top tackle in the run game, but his pass blocking has typically been average.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree, you only really should lock up the uber talent, like your LT and an interior guy, you should be looking to find guys to replace the others every year. Steele is not a player you lock up with big dollars, neither is Biadasz.
17 million per season is ridiculous. I have no idea where they got that number. And what are the going to give Biadasz now if they are paying a RT 17 million per season?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This is the only thing that gets me. At least have him play the first half of the season to show that he is healthy. No reason to rush it. If he cleared that hurdle, then pay the man. I'm fine with the dollars if he returns to form, but going on a wing and a prayer kind of sucks.
They just paid a right tackle...almost elite left tackle money...that was just dumb. 2 years ago...this guy was giving up 3 sacks a game...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This contract for a player who was an undrafted college free agent a mere 40 months ago is why Dallas consistently gets their pick from the ranks of undrafted players. Don’t think that players currently in college don’t notice. They see that 3 undrafted free agent rookies made the team this season (Bass, Luepke, Aubrey). They see that this is not something unusual for the Cowboys.

Here are the undrafted players that are on the Cowboys’ 53-man roster this year:

• 2014 - DB C.J. Goodwin
  • 2017 - QB Cooper Rush
  • 2018 - LS Trent Sieg
  • 2020 - RB Rico Dowdle, OT Terence Steele,
  • 2022 - S/LB Markquese Bell, TE Peyton Hendershot, S Juanyeh Thomas, PR/KR Ka’Vontae Turpin
  • 2023 - PK Brandon Aubrey, OG T.J. Bass, FB Hunter Luepke
It is not just players that notice the Cowboys walk the walk when it comes to giving undrafted players a legitimate chance to compete and earn roster spots. Other player agents also notice, and they steer their clients to the Cowboys.

This contract for Steele will have ripple effects that benefit the Cowboys in recruiting players far beyond just the immediate benefit of Terence Steele and the stability of the Cowboys’ offensive line.
Not really sure we are all that different in that regard to other teams. Can't seem to find what teams are carrying the most UDFAs, though. We're not the only one to keep three from this year's class.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I get why they do that and it should actually work in our favor. Gallup was a good example in that it theoretically should give us a nice discount. And Steele really showed what a hard worker he is getting ready and being committed. But the Cowboys got NO discount. Paying him 17 million per year for a RT is crazy high.
Well, depending on where you rank him in the league at RT, maybe it isn't crazy. 7th highest average. In a year or two we might see him as a bargain.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, depending on where you rank him in the league at RT, maybe it isn't crazy. 7th highest average. In a year or two we might see him as a bargain.
7th highest? Thats better than I thought. I just thought they could have done better. Maybe upping Martin hamstrung them in the negotiations.

Tyron is gone after this season. Going to need to pay Biadasz as well. Cant see us starting over at Center.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Congratulations to a young man who just about everyone doubted. This scouting department is on another level.

7WS8yho.png
2) Kelvin Joseph
3) Chauncey Golston
3) Nahshon Wright
4) Josh Ball
4) Jabril Cox
5) Semi Fehoko

"Another level"