Signed by Cowboys Terence Steele contract extended

blueblood70

Reaction score
Holy cow that’s a lot of money for an alright RT.

But you pay to keep him
how is that a lot of money by today's standards there's lineman out there making $25 million a year now.. This is essentially a four year $50 million contract because it's 50 guaranteed.. so that's 12.5 per year correct? that's nothing that's that's what normal starters are making now at every position or above.. Now if they choose not to cut him after four years or redo his contract after four years then it's $17 million a year for the full 5 but still that's not a bad contract given today's money.. By the way some of you maybe don't remember how bad our run game dropped off when he got hurt I mean our offensive line started getting shuffled and it was never the same apparently, he's better than some people believe...

T-RO

Reaction score
Smart signing by the boys.

But wow. These numbers are adding up.

blueblood70

Reaction score
His aav is 17.36 mil.
8th for RTs
right but that's really only saying if he goes to full five years but if the Cowboys do what they usually do it's really four years $50 million which is $12.5 million a year which would be a steel pun intended and by the way that isn't a lot either way but I'm sure they can restructure redo it after four years and it won't be so bad.. So I look at the guaranteed money first that's 50 million if you keep him four years that makes it worth it so if he can last four years at a high level $12.5 million a year is not a lot of money for a starting right tackle that when he got hurt last year it was noticeable how our line was affected trying to cover his spot especially in the run game and then having the then move other pieces trying to cover it up at left guard so yeah things changed when he got hurt if you notice we see your offense changing when a player goes out that player must be better than what fans are trying to make it out to be...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Smart signing by the boys.

But wow. These numbers are adding up.
The salary cap goes up significantly year after year after year after year that is why like this is four years 50 million it's 12.5 million a year is not bad if they need to cut him after that that's all it is if they keep him the full five years then it ends up being $17 million which it's probably not gonna happen most contracts don't get played out those last couple years...

But This is why you're gonna end up seeing Prescott restructured or gone and then we start over at quarterback we're not going to have that money or at least that giant cap hit on the team in the future it will be different.. I'm pretty sure the Cowboys know what they're doing with the cap or they wouldn't do it..

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
An injury to him saves them a lot of money...that is the whole point. They are expecting him to pick up where he left off...well, actually they are expecting him to be better. If he goes out and shows he is still the guy he was in live action, then you pay him. If he shows you he isn't ready or the knee is reimbursed, you have saved a lot of money.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Guess he is no longer a feel good work hard story. You sign that contract and you better show up and ball out. We shall see.

treykin32

Reaction score
Our run game suffered after he went down last year. I just wonder if we overpaid. Hopefully, it doesn't come back and bite us in the butt.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Damn, when did that happen?

Willie starred in Honeysuckle Rose...on the Road Again! His music just didn't stop, even with an IRS 'interest.'

For all the girls, I've loved....Snoop Dog even joined up with him! I was a Highway Man...(4 man group)

No, he was not penniless, homeless, or suicidal.

He did outsmoke Snoop Dog...and off alcohol back in Texas.
I think the fans forget that the Dallas Cowboys front office have an army of lawyers and CBA's and people who do contracts and know the salary cap what it is now what it's gonna be five years from now and they have a handle on who to pay and how much to pay them and when to pay them.. Somehow fans think they know more than the actual team what's worth $10 million and has 1200 employees..

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Look at the whole team, and specifically the o-line, if there’s 1 thing this front office is good at it is plugging holes with draft picks. You’re telling me they could find and develop Steele as an UDFA, but couldn’t find an above average starter in any other way? Seems a bit far fetched, especially with Richards already showing promise.
The whole point of investing in players via the draft is that you can eventually sign them long term. You want to let every good player the teams finds walk? That’s fine, but who are you going to trot out there on Sundays?

You need top talent to get to the top.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
how is that a lot of money by today's standards there's lineman out there making $25 million a year now.. This is essentially a four year $50 million contract because it's 50 guaranteed.. so that's 12.5 per year correct? that's nothing that's that's what normal starters are making now at every position or above.. Now if they choose not to cut him after four years or redo his contract after four years then it's $17 million a year for the full 5 but still that's not a bad contract given today's money.. By the way some of you maybe don't remember how bad our run game dropped off when he got hurt I mean our offensive line started getting shuffled and it was never the same apparently, he's better than some people believe...
He is consistently the first lineman off the ball on both sides of the line of scrimmage nearly every snap. Go watch the film. Also, with 35-1/8" arms, he has fantastic arm length. With his quick response to the snap of the ball, and long arms he can quickly and effectively get into the chest of the defender, which is why he is so devastating as a run blocker.

In pass protection, his biggest liability is that he has to wait for the defender to move into him as he is sliding back. This makes him occasionally susceptible to speed rushers. What Steele has drastically improved over his three years in the league is getting in the initial punch in pass protection, which can knock the defender off balance. He also is much quicker at recognizing the intentions of the pass rusher. He is competent, but improving at pass protection, and absolutely devastating as a run blocker.

Steele is an ascending player at the tackle position, and is likely to be a top 10 right tackle in the league for a long period of time. Considering that starting offensive lineman typically last 10-12 years in the NFL, longer than at any other position, the Cowboys have been able to catch lightning in a bottle for a young man with about 7-9 years of his prime years remaining. At that point in his career, he may become an even better technician, similar to other older wily veterans, or he may be played out and retire.

But the Cowboys have locked up for the next 6 years a really talented young tackle for their offense for the average cost of just under $15.2M per season. This is similar in value to the 10 year, $100M contract that the Cowboys signed Tyron Smith to years ago. It will soon be a middle of the pack contract price for an above average player.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This shocked me. Tells you what they think about Steele. Guy was a UDFA. Simply amazing.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He is consistently the first lineman off the ball on both sides of the line of scrimmage nearly every snap. Go watch the film. Also, with 35-1/8" arms, he has fantastic arm length. With his quick response to the snap of the ball, and long arms he can quickly and effectively get into the chest of the defender, which is why he is so devastating as a run blocker.

In pass protection, his biggest liability is that he has to wait for the defender to move into him as he is sliding back. This makes him occasionally susceptible to speed rushers. What Steele has drastically improved over his three years in the league is getting in the initial punch in pass protection, which can knock the defender off balance. He also is much quicker at recognizing the intentions of the pass rusher. He is competent, but improving at pass protection, and absolutely devastating as a run blocker.

Steele is an ascending player at the tackle position, and is likely to be a top 10 right tackle in the league for a long period of time. Considering that starting offensive lineman typically last 10-12 years in the NFL, longer than at any other position, the Cowboys have been able to catch lightning in a bottle for a young man with about 7-9 years of his prime years remaining. At that point in his career, he may become an even better technician, similar to other older wily veterans, or he may be played out and retire.

But the Cowboys have locked up for the next 6 years a really talented young tackle for their offense for the average cost of just under $15.2M per season. This is similar in value to the 10 year, $100M contract that the Cowboys signed Tyron Smith to years ago. It will soon be a middle of the pack contract price for an above average player.
Why are you trying to sell me this? I'm the one who's telling the others to calm down because I'm really tired of the fan base thinking they know anything about the economics of a high end sports franchise with a salary cap there are very very smart people that work puppet their star that do this for a living they are lawyers they are CPA's they do what we call Capologists,

they understand where the cap is going they also understand what a player's salary is worth.. I don't think fans need to keep having 10 page responses every time a contract signed to whether it's good or bad.....

CCBoy

Reaction score

His recognition skills and applications of techniques will do nothing but continue to grow. He is a hard worker and offensive line staff has expanded and is good.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think the fans forget that the Dallas Cowboys front office have an army of lawyers and CBA's and people who do contracts and know the salary cap what it is now what it's gonna be five years from now and they have a handle on who to pay and how much to pay them and when to pay them.. Somehow fans think they know more than the actual team what's worth $10 million and has 1200 employees..
I've never been the fan who doubted Jerry's attempts to stay ahead of all planning elements around putting players on the carpet. He has also improved, at his own expenses, the ability of analysis for his coaching staff once they have directed and attained players. All directions are discussed as well as directions a group product.

Football is all about play by play, game by game, and end of season momentums.

As you pointed to, finances are special and we will never know specifics until the report of an action. They are a top class run franchise and this is known through the world now.

Good post.