Twitter: Terrell McClain to visit Cowboys

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
after may 8th (or 9th) i think that window closes anyways....so we will probably sign a few more guys over the coming weeks

I read online it was the end of May 8th, which is confusing as ****. Why not just say May 9th?

I forsee us having a high probability of signing McClain, and then Vacarro once the window opens tomorrow.

Roland

Reaction score
I read online it was the end of May 8th, which is confusing as ****. Why not just say May 9th?

I forsee us having a high probability of signing McClain, and then Vacarro once the window opens tomorrow.
I haven't heard any rumors of Vaccaro coming here. No offense intended, just curious. Most of us fans believe we need to improve in that area (which is why there was a lot of fans on here suggesting the ET trade), but it seems the F.O. feels ok with what we have. That area, imo, is the last remaining weakness we have on defense, sure would be nice to shore that up!

glimmerman

Reaction score
In 2016, as our 1-tech, he had 21 solo tackles, 19 assist, and 2.5 sacks. He moved to a different defensive system last year so fell off a bit. But for reference, Maliek has 10 solo tackles, 12 assist, and 2.5 sacks last year, which is still okay for a 1-tech. This would be a great signing for Dallas, in my opinion.
If he is cheap enough.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I haven't heard any rumors of Vaccaro coming here. No offense intended, just curious. Most of us fans believe we need to improve in that area (which is why there was a lot of fans on here suggesting the ET trade), but it seems the F.O. feels ok with what we have. That area, imo, is the last remaining weakness we have on defense, sure would be nice to shore that up!

I only say this from what the team has done.

They tried to trade a mid round pick, according to sources, for Vacarro at the deadline last year. The deadline was only 6 months ago. It's hard for me to believe that they would have been willing to do that so recently and now that he won't cost any draft picks or cost much given the market for safeties right now and not try to sign him. Especially considering we havent added any safeties other than UDFA and lost one of our starters who is now being transitioned over to CB.

The only plausible reasoning I could could come up with was that we would have to surrender the Hitchens(projected 4th rounder) comp pick in order to sign him. Now that that restriction is being lifted at the end of today, I have a gut feeling we might see him be brought in. That's if the Dolphins dont sign him first, as they have already brought him in a couple weeks ago.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

They tried to a mid round pick, according to sources, for Vacarro at the deadline last year. The deadline was only 6 months ago. It's hard for me to believe that they would have been willing to do that so recently and now that he won't cost any draft picks or cost much given the market for safeties right now and not try to sign him. Especially considering we havent added any safeties other than UDFA and lost one of our starters who is now being transitioned over to CB.

The only plausible reasoning I could could come up with was that we would have to surrender to Hitchens(projected 4th rounder) comp pick in order to sign him. Now that that restriction is being lifted at the end of the day, I have a gut feeling we might see him be brought in. That's if the Dolphins dont sign him first, as they have already brought him in a couple weeks ago.

They also have a new secondary coach and he may not want Vacarro.

John813

Reaction score

Yea, I think the FO/coaches/whoever are set on Heath and Frazier to battle for the SS spot.

The only plausible reasoning I could could come up with was that we would have to surrender the Hitchens(projected 4th rounder) comp pick in order to sign him. Now that that restriction is being lifted at the end of today, I have a gut feeling we might see him be brought in. That's if the Dolphins dont sign him first, as they have already brought him in a couple weeks ago.

Would be redundant with the Dolphins having Jones and McDonald and just drafting Fitzpatrick.
Did they even show interest at all during any point of FA? One thing to bring him in and not sign him and another to just not even talk to him.

Roland

Reaction score

They tried to trade a mid round pick, according to sources, for Vacarro at the deadline last year. The deadline was only 6 months ago. It's hard for me to believe that they would have been willing to do that so recently and now that he won't cost any draft picks or cost much given the market for safeties right now and not try to sign him. Especially considering we havent added any safeties other than UDFA and lost one of our starters who is now being transitioned over to CB.

Gotcha! I would be ok with that. If we can improve that area, we could be fielding a very stout defense this year. Top Ten maybe ?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If the money is right.

McClain would be smart to get in on this defense while he can. Young core with way more talent than the last time he was here.

Roland

Reaction score
The biggest potential problem with signing McClain is we don't get to pick which 10 games for which he will be healthy.
Guess you could say the same about General Lee. I expect him to miss 2 to 3 games with those hammies, but I still want him on my team due to the impact he has when he is in there. If McClain can contribute to our D similar to what he did last go around here, I am good with that. You can't have all pros at every position, but wave after wave of solid dline play can get you that trophy! (Giant did it twice with ole Eli)

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Gotcha! I would be ok with that. If we can improve that area, we could be fielding a very stout defense this year. Top Ten maybe ?

Assuming health, with a 1T like McClain, a starting caliber S, and a field stretching TE I don't see that many holes.

We were 15th in weighted DVOA last aeason. With the additions we've made while only really losing Hitchens defensively. I dont see any reason why top 10 isnt obtainable.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned McClain's heath yet?
ns_24moorecol01gm_34463346_519393.JPG

LittleD

Reaction score
I hope the Cowboys can reach a deal, I think that would go a long way in helping the front 4. FS is still a concern and just hope Woods has used this off season to prepare himself.

The Cowboys will have to outbid at least two other teams, Dolphins & 49ers, for his services. He most likely has offers that
did not shake his boots so Jerry will most assuredly have to sweeten the pot to secure him. I imagine he will want some kind
of signing bonus and some guaranteed money. You most likely won't get him for Walmart prices.

LittleD

Reaction score

Both Stephen and McClay have said they don't view any of the remaining safeties as attractive for the Cowboys and are not
upgrades to existing players on the team.