Twitter: Terrell McClain to visit Cowboys

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Cap space not used in the current year is rolled over to your available cap space the year after, it's partially why the 9ers, Jets, and Browns had an excess of $100M in cap space going into feee agency this year.

If we sign McClain using this year's cap space then we won't see that added cap space for next season.
The purpose of cap space is to sign guys that can help you win. McClain can do that. There's no point in having cap space just to have it. That would be like having a million dollars in your bank account, but you are complaining about living in poverty stricken conditions. You can improve your situation greatly now, but you'd rather brag about the million in your bank account. The money is useless if you never spend it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Skins had given him 4 years 21 mill. 5.25 mill a year. I doubt anyone is going to make that offer. I think if the Cowboys offer is near what he is being offered in San Fran or Miami I think he signs with Dallas.

Reactions: CWR

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Would you say it's negotiating ploys, or not showing your hand to the other teams?
I'd say its a negotiation ploy to the agents. "Yeah, we could use your guy, but if your price is not what we are willing to pay, we're good with rolling with what we got"

Rayman70

Reaction score
One year deal and we sign him. Cap friendly prove it deal.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The purpose of cap space is to sign guys that can help you win. McClain can do that.

Yes he can, but there are many players that can help you win more than McClain can. Like Zach Martin, Demarcus Lawrence, David Irving, Ezekial Ansah(FA in '19) or a multitude of players you could trade for.

There's no point in having cap space just to have it. That would be like having a million dollars in your bank account, but you are complaining about living in poverty stricken conditions.

Not even remotely similiar situations. Like even a little bit.

You can improve your situation greatly now, but you'd rather brag about the million in your bank account. The money is useless if you never spend it.

We are up against the CAP every year for the last 8 years. You really think that's what's going on here? You think we never spend our money?

The fact is the best teams don't spend up to the CAP limit every year like you're describing should gibe you enough evidence to prove spending CAP just to spend it isn't a smart use of resources. I didnt think that would have needed to be said. If you just throw an unspecified amount of money, let's say $10M in this case, at McClain for the sake up it improving your team a little and not being able to use that CAP on much better players next offseason, that's a recipe for "living in poverty stricken conditions while also having $0 in your bank account"

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
It is a needed add, if they can make the deal. At some frickin point they have to add talent to the position !
We will probably be saying the same thing 5 years from now.
Thought I had read that McClain had surgery for turf toe last year. Don't expect him to play the whole season, but well worth whatever he can give.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If he's healthy, he could be a very cost effective addition to 1-tech for all you who think we need an experienced
player at that position. The big question is he healthy since he has missed lots of time in his career including
last year with the Deadskins.
The thing is not his health "this" time of year but during the actual TC and PS time of year.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
The fact is the best teams don't spend up to the CAP limit every year like you're describing should gibe you enough evidence to prove spending CAP just to spend it isn't a smart use of resources. I didnt think that would have needed to be said. If you just throw an unspecified amount of money, let's say $10M in this case, at McClain for the sake up it improving your team a little and not being able to use that CAP on much better players next offseason, that's a recipe for "living in poverty stricken conditions while also having $0 in your bank account"
No one is paying him 10 million. He wont make the 5 his deal with Washington called for.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Using the same analogy, no that would be stupid to do. But you can do something to improve. Signing McClain to a modest contract this year for a team that believes it is close to winning a Superbowl is better than saving cap space in HOPES of signing future free agents that may not even want to play here. Resigning those players you mentioned HELPS the cap this year, not hurts it. So you can resign Lawrence and Martin and free up cap space to "roll over"

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Using the same analogy, no that would be stupid to do. But you can do something to improve. Signing McClain to a modest contract this year for a team that believes it is close to winning a Superbowl is better than saving cap space in HOPES of signing future free agents that may not even want to play here. Resigning those players you mentioned HELPS the cap this year, not hurts it. So you can resign Lawrence and Martin and free up cap space to "roll over"

Yes to a modest deal, as I've proposed would be a smart deal. I'm a proponent to signing him.

But your initial quote was silly to me. No you don't just spend CAP space to spend CAP space, even if you are close to a championship. CAP space is fluid and builds on itself annually, so always going all the way up to the CAP ceiling is how teams become cellar dwellers for years and year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing is not his health "this" time of year but during the actual TC and PS time of year.
I'm not sure he is an uograde at this point regardless of money.

He gets injured to some extent every year.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
But your initial quote was silly to me. No you don't just spend CAP space to spend CAP space, even if you are close to a championship. CAP space is fluid and builds on itself annually, so always going all the way up to the CAP ceiling is how teams become cellar dwellers for years and year.
Just like you stated, certain things probably don't need to be said. I don't think I am stated or even implied that you sign McClain at any cost. That's kind of a silly assumption. My response was only about saving cap space in general, just to not sign a player that can help you win this year.