Terrell Owens... First round HOF???

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ologan;1370767 said:
When TO retires,does he make the HOF on the first ballot when eligible? If not,why not?

He could not get people to vote for him to the Pro Bowl I doubt he gets them to put him in the Hall Of Fame. There is still time for people to change their view of him but a lot will come down to how he finishes his career.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Hes the best WR of our generation. Harrison is a product of Manning and the offense, Chad Johnson has only made noise the past 3 years, Holt has the stats but that Rams style offense has padded his stats for years. T.O. has been dominant for the past 10 years, he just needs to get one ring and he'll be a first ballot no doubt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GoinForSix;1374545 said:
Hes the best WR of our generation. Harrison is a product of Manning and the offense, Chad Johnson has only made noise the past 3 years, Holt has the stats but that Rams style offense has padded his stats for years. T.O. has been dominant for the past 10 years, he just needs to get one ring and he'll be a first ballot no doubt.

Irvin should have been a 1st ballot as well but that did not happen. The people who do the voting are the ones that have to determine if TO gets it or not. I would not bank on their view being the same as yours.

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1374547 said:
Irvin should have been a 1st ballot as well but that did not happen. The people who do the voting are the ones that have to determine if TO gets it or not. I would not bank on their view being the same as yours.

800 receptions 12,000 receiving yards, 114 TDs. He could get in right now if he retired with those numbers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GoinForSix;1374554 said:
800 receptions 12,000 receiving yards, 114 TDs. He could get in right now if he retired with those numbers.

So you think the sports writers would vote him in 1st ballot? Think about Sports writers and how they feel about TO. Irvin also deserved it but it took 3tries before it happened. I'm not arguing right or wrong but realistically knowing who votes for the HOF I doubt it that TO goes 1st ballot unless things change big time

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1374556 said:
So you think the sports writers would vote him in 1st ballot? Think about Sports writers and how they feel about TO. Irvin also deserved it but it took 3tries before it happened. I'm not arguing right or wrong but realistically knowing who votes for the HOF I doubt it that TO goes 1st ballot unless things change big time

Irvin had legal issues, T.O. has been clean off the field. If McNabb doesn't choke in that Patriot's game, T.O.'s 'heroic' performance would've ensured him a spot in Canton.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GoinForSix;1374560 said:
Irvin had legal issues, T.O. has been clean off the field. If McNabb doesn't choke in that Patriot's game, T.O.'s 'heroic' performance would've ensured him a spot in Canton.

All I'm saying is Sports writers do not like TO you know this as a fact and to think they will do right by him I don't think they will. I admit I dislike the guy but I agree he should be a no brainier to make the HOF I just don't think it will happen 1st ballot because of the total dislike by many who do the voting.

Apollo Creed

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1374567 said:
All I'm saying is Sports writers do not like TO you know this as a fact and to think they will do right by him I don't think they will. I admit I dislike the guy but I agree he should be a no brainier to make the HOF I just don't think it will happen 1st ballot because of the total dislike by many who do the voting.

Agreed... They were discussing it at the pro bowl that its going to be almost impossible for WRs to get in lately, especially since its the most glorified position in football these days. Fitzgerald, A Johnson, Boldin, C Johnson, S Smith, Holt, Bruce, R Williams, J Walker, etc just might be out of luck in about 10 years.

Which brings me to my next question, will Keyshawn Johnson be in Canton?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GoinForSix;1374580 said:
Agreed... They were discussing it at the pro bowl that its going to be almost impossible for WRs to get in lately, especially since its the most glorified position in football these days. Fitzgerald, A Johnson, Boldin, C Johnson, S Smith, Holt, Bruce, R Williams, J Walker, etc just might be out of luck in about 10 years.

Which brings me to my next question, will Keyshawn Johnson be in Canton?

I think Key might make it but it will not be a 1st ballot.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
ologan;1370767 said:
When TO retires,does he make the HOF on the first ballot when eligible? If not,why not?

It is trendy for ballot casters to now say they separate the trash from the on-field production.
Based solely on T.O. on-field production, he's a lock.
Yes, the voters do look at the variables.
With Irvin his off-field exploits were horrendous. Drugs, women, motel rooms, carring paraphernalia for "friends." And it is apparent that Irvin was punished the first couple of times he was eligible for the HOF.
But T.O.'s off-field exploits have been of the non-criminal law nature, though distracting to his teams.
If voters will truly disregard the off-field issues, T.O. is a lock. If not, then the voters are hypocrites, still.

Quit hatin on Cowboy players and save it for others on other teams.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1374538 said:
He could not get people to vote for him to the Pro Bowl I doubt he gets them to put him in the Hall Of Fame. There is still time for people to change their view of him but a lot will come down to how he finishes his career.

Oh please, you know nobody that dislikes Owens right now will ever change their mind and suddenly like him !

Won't happen !

You of all people should acknowledge that.

No one will have a chance to change their mind about Owens, even if they wanted to, if the media continues to rake him over the coals for things like, .. pulling a hamstring, riding a bike with a blue shirt on, breaking a bone, tearing a tendon, suffering an accident, dropping a pass.

These are things that can and do happen to anybody.

When he came to Dallas I feared all of the things that happened in Philly & SF happening here.

But it didn't happen here.

When that didn't happen, that was not good enough, they had to write about something so they put a negative spin on anything they could. (hamstrings, bones, tendons, drops) ... nothing even close to what happened in Philly or SF.

Same as they did initially for a while when they tried to create conflict between Jones and Parcells.

Call Owens out for being late for a meeting, or falling asleep in a meeting, or for getting a penalty for an EZ celebration.

That's fine.

But don't twist things like I mention above and make them seem like he is doing something wrong.

Nobody will ever change their opinion of T.O.

The media will make sure of that.

I'm not blaming the media for things that Owens does do, just for exagerating the little things that others do too, and that don't amount to a hill of beans.

People change their mind about T.O. ??? :laugh2:

(I agree with you Dooms, he won't be 1st ballot HOF)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1374598 said:
Oh please, you know nobody that dislikes Owens right now will ever change their mind and suddenly like him !

Won't happen !

You of all people should acknowledge that.

No one will have a chance to change their mind about Owens, even if they wanted to, if the media continues to rake him over the coals for things like, .. pulling a hamstring, riding a bike with a blue shirt on, breaking a bone, tearing a tendon, suffering an accident, dropping a pass.

These are things that can and do happen to anybody.

When he came to Dallas I feared all of the things that happened in Philly & SF happening here.

But it didn't happen here.

When that didn't happen, that was not good enough, they had to write about something so they put a negative spin on anything they could. (hamstrings, bones, tendons, drops) ... nothing even close to what happened in Philly or SF.

Same as they did initially for a while when they tried to create conflict between Jones and Parcells.

Call Owens out for being late for a meeting, or falling asleep in a meeting, or for getting a penalty for an EZ celebration.

That's fine.

But don't twist things like I mention above and make them seem like he is doing something wrong.

Nobody will ever change their opinion of T.O.

The media will make sure of that.

I'm not blaming the media for things that Owens does do, just for exagerating the little things that others do too, and that don't amount to a hill of beans.

People change their mind about T.O. ??? :laugh2:

No I don't know that, I know that TO opens his mouth and causes problems on teams and I think if he could learn how to shut his mouth people attitudes would slowly change. Problem is I don't see that happening anytime soon. If you want to be blind about it that is your business but there is a reason why people have this attitude about TO it is years of BS they have seen and while you may like to say he has a clean slate with you not everyone shares that feeling. I know Keyshawn was raked over by media and fans alike but as he changed so do peoples feelings towards him.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
GoinForSix;1374545 said:
Hes the best WR of our generation. Harrison is a product of Manning and the offense...
Oh please, stop diminishing other WRs to elevate TO. With your logic, we could say TO padded his stats due to WCO. Harrison is a great WR, no matter how much you want to say otherwise and I'd take him over TO in a heartbeat give a choice.

The fact is Harrison has much better numbers than TO, period and stat-wise both should be HOF. IMO Harrison is a lock for 1st ballot but TO may take bit longer due to his attitude/behavior, whether it's perceived or reality.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1374608 said:
No I don't know that, I know that TO opens his mouth and causes problems on teams and I think if he could learn how to shut his mouth people attitudes would slowly change. Problem is I don't see that happening anytime soon. If you want to be blind about it that is your business but there is a reason why people have this attitude about TO it is years of BS they have seen and while you may like to say he has a clean slate with you not everyone shares that feeling. I know Keyshawn was raked over by media and fans alike but as he changed so do peoples feelings towards him.

In the future, if you find me ONE person that used to not like T.O., but changes their mind, then I'll listen.

tecolote

Reaction score
I think the question here is if TO deserves to be a firs ballot HOF, not if he will be one.

I think he deserves it but I don´t think he will be because of everything mentioned in this thread, and you know what, he made his bed, now he must lie on it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Unless he wins a Superbowl ...... T.O. will take years to get in the HOF ..... if at all.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
don't forget he still has 3 years left and with about 1100 catches and 150 TDs it would be hard press not to put him in..... maybe not first ballot but eventually..

slick325

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1374585 said:
I think Key might make it but it will not be a 1st ballot.

Keyshawn Johnson is a modern Art Monk. His game is not predicated on speed so he will play for a very long time. In that time his numbers will grow and grow leaving the perception that he was a prolific receiver when in actuality he is just like Art Monk, a number 2 receiver that D Coordinators would NEVER lose sleep over when gameplanning for a squad they play for.

Key will face the same problems as Monk when his day comes for hall nomination. The only thing separating the two WR's is that until playing in Dallas and Carolina Key was the best receiver on his teams.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ologan;1370767 said:

You can't ask a question like this while the man is still playing. If he retired today, I doubt it because he is so hated by the media. If he finishes his career ahead of Cris Carter in TDs (#2 with 130) (has 114 TDs) and ahead of Tim Brown in yards (#2 14,934) (has 11,715) he will. At the rate that he is going, he can surpass both in two years. The system will be rigged if he doesn't and several voters should be ousted.

joseephuss

Reaction score
THUMPER;1370873 said:
It is inaccurate to compare Owens with the WRs that are already in the HoF as those aren't the guys he will be compared with. He will be compare with his contemporaries: Rice, Irvin, Harrison, Holt, etc. The difference is that every one of those guys has a SB ring and Owens doesn't, plus he has NEVER made a team better with his presence.

Let me repeat that, Owens has never made a team better with his presence. He is a talented guy but he is not a good football player IMO.

Only a few WRs that are in the HoF are without championship rings. Off the top of my head I would say: Largent, Joiner, & Mitchell but Largent retired as the all-time leader and Joiner was in the top-3 when he retired. I believe Taylor was at or near the top when he retired as well.

Owens won't be anywhere near the top in stats compared with Rice, Tim Brown, Chris Carter, and Marvin Harrison.

The more I think about it the less I believe he will ever get in.

Owens is getting close in stats compared with Tim Brown and Cris Carter. No one can catch Jerry Rice or what potentially Marvin Harrison will get to, but Brown and Carter are within reach of Owens. Brown and Carter also don't have championship rings, just like T.O. Physically, T.O. could probably play 4 or 5 more seasons and get his career reception and yardage totals on par with Brown and Carter. Andre Reed as well who will get in sometime in the next couple of seasons. T.O. already has more TD receptions than Brown or Reed and can catch Carter in another two or three years.

That is just your statement on the stats part that I disgree with you on. Everything else makes sense. I do think he will eventually get in, but it will take him a while. I also don't know how much longer he will actually play. Dallas may be his last chance to play because other teams may not give him that chance. Still he has impressive stats at this point in his career. That can't totally be disregarded.