Terrell Owens... First round HOF???

jem88

Reaction score
Stats are but one part of the equation. Otherwise, Bledsoe would be a sure-fire HOFer.

scottsp

Reaction score
Yeah, numbers aren't the truest measure of performance. If that were the case, guys like Art Monk would have been in long ago. And, IMO, Owens' impact hasn't matched up to the stats he's put up throughout his career.

It's next to impossible for a wideout to go in on the first ballot, unless you're talking about Jerry Rice. Not many make it the first time out.

He won't make the first ballot. Probably not the first two or three.

slick325

Reaction score
scottsp;1371006 said:
Yeah, numbers aren't the truest measure of performance. If that were the case, guys like Art Monk would have been in long ago. And, IMO, Owens' impact hasn't matched up to the stats he's put up throughout his career.

It's next to impossible for a wideout to go in on the first ballot, unless you're talking about Jerry Rice. Not many make it the first time out.

He won't make the first ballot. Probably not the first two or three.

Actually I think Cris Carter is gonna make it next season on his 1st go round. Marvin Harrison too once he's eligible.

scottsp

Reaction score
slick325;1371013 said:
Actually I think Cris Carter is gonna make it next season on his 1st go round. Marvin Harrison too once he's eligible.

Ya know, allow me to backtrack on that "next to impossible" statement. I think you're right on that. Those two guys do have a good shot at getting in right out of the box. There may be someone else like maybe Tim Brown.

slick325

Reaction score
scottsp;1371020 said:
Ya know, allow me to backtrack on that "next to impossible" statement. I think you're right on that. Those two guys do have a good shot at getting in right out of the box. There may be someone else like maybe Tim Brown.

I think you're right on Tim Brown too. Forgot to mention him.

I understood what you meant by your statement. It is going to be tough for WR's since a lot of the writers that are on the committee were talking a great deal about the "inflated" numbers of the modern WR's. They attribute the numbers to the pass happy era we are in currently. I heard a lot of this chatter during Super Bowl week on sports talk radio shows.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
ologan;1370836 said:
HOF Receivers-
Player Years Receptions Yards TD's
Alworth 11 542 10266 85
Berry 13 631 9275 68
Biletnikof 14 589 8974 76
Fears 9 400 5397 38
Hirsch 9 343 6299 53
Irvin 12 750 11904 65
Joiner 19(wow!) 750 12146 65
Largent 14 819 13089 100
Lavelli 7 244 3908 33
Lofton 17 764 14004 75
Maynard 15 633 11834 88
McDonald 12 495 8410 84
Mitchell 11 521 7954 65
Pihos 9 373 5619 61
Stallworth 14 537 8723 63
Swann 9 336 5462 51
Taylor 13 649 9110 79
Warfield 13 427 8565 85

OMG He is blowing every one of them away statwise (especially in the TD category). That's pretty amazing.He'll get in but it won't be 1st ballot.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ologan;1370767 said:
When TO retires,does he make the HOF on the first ballot when eligible? If not,why not?

your kidding right?

there is no way Owens will get in on his first ballot...in fact if he does get in, I think it will take several years

David

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1371243 said:
They'll never vote him in because he's T.O. on top of being a Dallas Cowboy.
Nah, not because of being a Cowboy, if that was the case we wouldn't have any Cowboys in the HOF. But I do agree with you that TO won't get in because he is TO and he has only himself blame for that.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
ologan;1370767 said:
When TO retires,does he make the HOF on the first ballot when eligible? If not,why not?
I would say "no", if his career ended today. If he's going to be a first-ballot HOF, he needs a few more seasons of 10+ touchdowns, and at least one Superbowl ring.

Reaction score
Keep in mind T.O. NEVER has gotten into any off the field trouble and IF he wins a Superbowl here in Dallas then you would have to consider him for a first ballot. The numbers will be there for his career stats.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1371325 said:
Keep in mind T.O. NEVER has gotten into any off the field trouble and IF he wins a Superbowl here in Dallas then you would have to consider him for a first ballot. The numbers will be there for his career stats.

Yep. That's correct. Once you get beyond the dislike for him and get to the true crux of the issue it's obvious he will get in at some point in time. It just won't be 1st ballot. I also agree with the others that say he needs to get a Super Bowl ring to truly legitimize himself in the eyes of the voters. There's not better place to do it than in Big D.

tecolote

Reaction score
The hall of fame is not all about numbers, Art Monk is the perfect example, obviously Owens has the numbers, but he also has this, he has probably been the best WR in the game for the past 10 years and he has been close to being the best PLAYER in the league.

Off the field he is an obnoxious nutt, but on the field he has been nothing but brilliant. After Jerry Rice he is in my opinion the best WR to ever play the game.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy;1370877 said:
Yeah, but then look at today's receivers. There are a lot of wideouts who put up big numbers these days, especially when compared to previous decades.

If TO puts up 2 more Pro Bowl caliber seasons (I would consider this one), I think he has a shot, but fair or not, the voters will hold his crazy antics, lack of playing for one team a majority of his career, and failure to show up big in big games against him.

He had a huge game in his only Super Bowl appearance so that holds no water.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
tecolote;1371409 said:
The hall of fame is not all about numbers, Art Monk is the perfect example, obviously Owens has the numbers, but he also has this, he has probably been the best WR in the game for the past 10 years and he has been close to being the best PLAYER in the league.

Off the field he is an obnoxious nutt, but on the field he has been nothing but brilliant. After Jerry Rice he is in my opinion the best WR to ever play the game.

The bolded part is so true, what is Swann and Stallworth doing there, because they won championships. I personally don't think rings should be part of the equation in a team sport, but that is just my opinion.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Jarv;1374520 said:
The bolded part is so true, what is Swann and Stallworth doing there, because they won championships. I personally don't think rings should be part of the equation in a team sport, but that is just my opinion.

Well, Monk's got three of them, so that can't be what's holding him out.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
If criminal activity does not keep a man out of the HOF, why would stupid stuff they say keep them out ?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1374525 said:
If criminal activity does not keep a man out of the HOF, why would stupid stuff they say keep them out ?

I think it's different when your own team suspends you, as opposed to the league. Then there was the Baltimore trade fiasco.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
bbgun;1374521 said:
Well, Monk's got three of them, so that can't be what's holding him out.

I'm by no means a skins fan, but Monk does deserve to go in IMHO.

Monk was never dominating or a consistant #1, especially during the Clark days. I give him tons of credit for being a good football player for a long period of time. That can be a more diffelcult thing to be than a superstar for a couple of years, it means dedication and hard work over a long period of time, no slacking and consistancy.

Another plus for me, but obviously not to the HOF committee, was his lack of self promotion and quite demeaner. Squeaky wheels get the grease, Monk never asked for the grease, which is a plus in my book, he deserves the prize.

Skins fans, I'm with you on this one.