Terrible Spot On Roethlisberger Scramble!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2477877 said:
True, hell I always think they blew it on the sneak, I remember yelling he didn't make it and then saw the guy spot it on the red line and said ***

Wade said in the PC that if he'd had a challenge, he would've thrown it on that sneak. He said he didn't think Roeth got anything, or may even have lost yardage.

I dunno, it was hard to tell from the TV shot -- just a big pile of bodies.

And I have a hard time saying the first challenge was a mistake. Any time you lose a fumble in your own territory and it's that close, you have to take a chance. I'm watching it right now (11:22 2nd quarter) and I'm still not sure his knee wasn't down before the ball came out.

twentytwo

Reaction score
Boysboy;2477897 said:
Speaking of conspiracy theories, on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown show, they would have 2 fans, 1 from each of the 2 teams playing, to armwrestle.

Get this-in EVERY week, the winner of this match...their team went on to WIN the game! Yah-it's been correct EVERY SINGLE WEEK!:eek:

Haha that is pretty crazy....and quite peculiar....

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Everson24;2477847 said:
I finally had the stomach to go back a watch the game again and I must say that the refs would not let Pittburgh lose this game. If anyone gets a chance take another frame by frame look at 3:34 remaining in the 4th quarter where the ball was when Ben's knee was on the ground. They mis-spotted the ball by 1 1/2 to 2 full yards! Mickey brought this up on Talking Cowboys and my son and I had to check it out for ourselves.

How could they be so far off at such a critical juncture of the game? I know we could have challeged it if we had any left but the bad call by the refs on the Roethlisberger sack cost us a challege. This two challege system is ridiculous. Why should a team lose challeges when the refs blow the call? On the first challege if the ref calls Romo down by contact they dont overturn it if Pittburgh challeges that either (at least I dont think they do).

If they spot the ball correctly it's 4th and 2 not fourth and inches and we have a decent chance to stop that drive and win the game right there.

Anyone have Mike Pierra's email address? I want to let him know what a lousy,forefleshing,traveshamockery piece of monkey stuff that was.

Man, I hate the Steelers!

I screaming in my aunt's living room, ranting and raving to my cousins who couldn't care less, when they made that fourth-and-an-inch call. It's absurd. He was never that close to the marker. That made me beyond mad.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Wonderboyromo;2477933 said:
I screaming in my aunt's living room, ranting and raving to my cousin's who couldn't care less, when they made that fourth-and-an-inch call. It's absurd. He was never that close to the marker. That made me beyond mad.

Yeah-even from the naked eye, it was obvious.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2477893 said:
And the one questionable call that went our way late in the game might have hurt us more than helped us.

On Roy Williams' catch on the final drive, it looked like he might have been stopped short of the first-down line, but the ref gave what looked like a generous spot and immediately signaled first down, so the clock never stopped. Had they stopped the game to measure it, it would been like an extra timeout for us to regroup and call a play.

In that situation, I would have gladly taken a second-and-1 from the 27 if it meant saving 15 or 16 seconds on the game clock and getting time to call a better play.

I noticed that as well.
It looked like he came up at least a yard short, and I said (again to my cousins who couldn't care less) "I didn't think he got the first down. I'm surprised they spotted it there. It didn't look that close to me."

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
BTW, can anyone get some pictures of the scramble where Roethlisberger got the generous spot? I know someone out there can.

alancdc

Reaction score
I paused it when it happened and was livid. The way we were playing short yardage I would have liked to have that opportunity.

alancdc

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2477906 said:
Wade said in the PC that if he'd had a challenge, he would've thrown it on that sneak. He said he didn't think Roeth got anything, or may even have lost yardage.

And I have a hard time saying the first challenge was a mistake. Any time you lose a fumble in your own territory and it's that close, you have to take a chance. I'm watching it right now (11:22 2nd quarter) and I'm still not sure his knee wasn't down before the ball came out.

Knee and elbow

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2477906 said:

And if the team was more organized we would have had that challenge.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Wonderboyromo;2477945 said:
BTW, can anyone get some pictures of the scramble where Roethlisberger got the generous spot? I know someone out there can.

Looks to be down at the Dallas 24, roughly.

http://img165.*************/img165/8333/ch21sundec72008064525pmpl0.jpg

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477974 said:
Burning time outs for some of the dumbest things.

That's not why we didn't have a challenge at the end. We still had three timeouts. We didn't have another challenge because we challenged twice already, and one of them was not reversed.

If the refs had called Hatcher's sack correctly the first time, we wouldn't have had to challenge it, and we could have challenged one of the calls at the end. Or if they had said Romo's knee was down before he fumbled, we would have gotten an additional challenge.

twentytwo

Reaction score
bbgun;2477976 said:

Oh wow that's worse than I thought it was. Looks like the ball should have been placed a good 2.5 yards back.

Boysboy

Reaction score
twentytwo;2477983 said:
Oh wow that's worse than I thought it was. Looks like the ball should have been placed a good 2.5 yards back.

Oh brother...you talk about highway robbery!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
bbgun;2477976 said:

I don't think his knee is quite down yet in those photos. When his knee is clearly down, the ball is at or just inside the 24. When his elbow hits the ground, his HELMET isn't even to the 23 yet. The ball has to be around the 23 1/2 at that point (long after his knee hit). Of course, the ref runs in and spots it almost at the 22 -- more than a full yard ahead of where it should have been.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
bbgun;2477976 said:

...Wow.

Wow.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2477994 said:
I don't think his knee is quite down yet in those photos. When his knee is clearly down, the ball is at or just inside the 24. When his elbow hits the ground, his HELMET isn't even to the 23 yet. The ball has to be around the 23 1/2 at that point (long after his knee hit). Of course, the ref runs in and spots it almost at the 22 -- more than a full yard ahead of where it should have been.

That's true for the top photo. The wind temporarily interrupted my signal, and I lost the picture a split second before his knee was fully down. Still, it's safe to say that the ball was nowhere near the 22 when the knee came down.