Terry Bradshaw's nugget on Dak's contract negotiation

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but it appears Dak has stronger support outside of Cowboy Nations. It is rare for a team to allow its franchise QB's contract to reach its final year........, especially w/o a trade and/or franchise tag options. Unless they are preparing to move on.......

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/dallas...dvice-jerry-jones-negotiations-contract-bleep

Dak Prescott Advice: Tell Cowboys 'Bleep You!' - Terry Bradshaw on Contract Talks​

Dak Prescott Advice: Tell Dallas Cowboys 'Bleep You!' - Terry Bradshaw on Contract Talks

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He can "bleep" off and see if another team wants him for top QB money after this season.
The problem with this is we don't truly know how much Dak wants. The closest we heard is an interview recently where he admitted he was not necessarily looking to be the highest-paid player. He then said well maybe with a grin and that he had bet on himself before. We know Burrow is the highest paid at $55M. So I think it is reasonable to assume his ceiling is $53-56M, which is more than Jerry is willing to pay.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The problem with this is we don't truly know how much Dak wants. The closest we heard is an interview recently where he admitted he was not necessarily looking to be the highest-paid player. He then said well maybe with a grin and that he had bet on himself before. We know Burrow is the highest paid at $55M. So I think it is reasonable to assume his ceiling is $53-56M, which is more than Jerry is willing to pay.
Jerry is just dragging it out to make CD and Micah play on their 5th year options. He has made it clear the priority order is Dak, CD and then Micah. By dragging it out with Dak, you delay CD and Micah.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The $$$ isnt the obstacle. what's the difference between $5-$10m per, when the CAP's north of $260m. Sportrac has the CAP rising by $40m in the next two years and understandably EVERY agent wants their man to re-enter the market to capitalize.

If it were a longer contract (reflecting SOME CAP inflation) i'm sure both sides could come to an agreement.....but after the GB I think even Jerry's not so much enamored with his own and wont give in to everything, ala 2021.

Flamma

Reaction score
Even if he wanted 50M per year, Dallas still owes 95M to the cap that would have to be added to any new contract. If it was a 4 year 50m contract, they're looking at spreading out 295M in a 5 year time span. Or leave him at 55M now and spread out 240M over 4 years. The quarterback simply does not justify the price tag. But hey, if Jerry has no problem with Dak being a 55M cap hit this year, he'll have no problem with him being just as much going forward.

Flamma

Reaction score
Are you saying part of the delay is to see if Dak can add the NFCCG or Super Bowl this season to his resume?
No. But I guess it does boil down to that, right? But what are the chances Dak elevates this team to a new level? The same chances Zeke is 2016 Zeke all over again.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak fans will see it one way, non Dak fans will see it another.

I am tired of hearing about it. As it creates too much animosity over real football talk.
Anyway, he is not worth over $50 million. Really not even that much. But to me no QB is.

I am glad though, and still hope they let him play out his contract, then make a decision. It seems pretty much NFFCCG / SB or bust at this point to extend him.
If they extend him before the season, then another 4 years of them passing on a really good QB in the draft. And then what if more failure in the playoffs.
Then they will be in the same situation, where the deal is most likely backloaded. Then another huge cap hit.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No. But I guess it does boil down to that, right?
It sure seems that way........Dak admits he's willing to bet on himself again. He is saying I think I get more than an offer on the table with a good season. You know what.......I'm not sure I've ever seen a franchise QB AND his current team take such in the final year of a contract.

Dak.......is risking a major injury that could significantly reduce his value but he could strike gold with NFCCG or more.
Jerry/Cowboys......IF Dak elevates the team to NFCCG or more they have 2 options.....pay him whatever he want OR
watch him walk for only 3rd third-round comp pick. In a nutshell, reset and start over at the QB position which could set us back 4-5 years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If they extend him before the season,
I don't see this at all........I mean what's different between now and the start of the season? There isn't a drop-dead deadline until the start of 2025 free agency. In other words, why would Dak give up all his leverage and chance at free agency by signing before next year?

Dools29

Reaction score
Dak fans will see it one way, non Dak fans will see it another.

I am tired of hearing about it. As it creates too much animosity over real football talk.
Anyway, he is not worth over $50 million. Really not even that much. But to me no QB is.

I am glad though, and still hope they let him play out his contract, then make a decision. It seems pretty much NFFCCG / SB or bust at this point to extend him.
If they extend him before the season, then another 4 years of them passing on a really good QB in the draft. And then what if more failure in the playoffs.
Then they will be in the same situation, where the deal is most likely backloaded. Then another huge cap hit.
Lol how can that be the bar for a Jerry and Stephen led organization?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
It sure seems that way........Dak admits he's willing to bet on himself again. He is saying I think I get more than an offer on the table with a good season. You know what.......I'm not sure I've ever seen a franchise QB AND his current team take such in the final year of a contract.

Dak.......is risking a major injury that could significantly reduce his value but he could strike gold with NFCCG or more.
Jerry/Cowboys......IF Dak elevates the team to NFCCG or more they have 2 options.....pay him whatever he want OR
watch him walk for only 3rd third-round comp pick. In a nutshell, reset and start over at the QB position which could set us back 4-5 years.
Dak wanted the short term deal, he put himself where he is at. Hopefully this isn't a bluff and they have the stones to move on.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I don't see this at all........I mean what's different between now and the start of the season? There isn't a drop-dead deadline until the start of 2025 free agency. In other words, why would Dak give up all his leverage and chance at free agency by signing before next year?
Dak doesn't have the leverage he thought he had. He doesn't really want to test the market. He thought he had the Jones over a barrel, but they see now teams are doing well building a good team and getting a young qb on a smaller contract.