Terry Bradshaw's nugget on Dak's contract negotiation

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The problem with this is we don't truly know how much Dak wants. The closest we heard is an interview recently where he admitted he was not necessarily looking to be the highest-paid player. He then said well maybe with a grin and that he had bet on himself before. We know Burrow is the highest paid at $55M. So I think it is reasonable to assume his ceiling is $53-56M, which is more than Jerry is willing to pay.
How do you know what Jerry is or isnt willing to pay?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak doesn't have the leverage he thought he had. He doesn't really want to test the market. He thought he had the Jones over a barrel, but they see now teams are doing well building a good team and getting a young qb on a smaller contract.
so who are all of these teams building with this young qb... now by winning, we know that playoffs arent much, it is SB or bust. How many of these teams are winning SB in that situation?

Tell me more about the Niners... because they BLEW it with Lance and LUCKED into a solid QB, just like the Pats did.... luck, not skill.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The problem with tagging someone is their entire compensation hits the CAP in the year they are tagged. It might not be a problem depending on what else they do but it does not give them any salary cap flexibility.
Why do you think we are clearing up can space for next year? If CD wants too much he will be tagged.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I disagree with your conclusion. You’re not considering the flow of the game. In the playoffs you better be able and stop the run and run the ball to go far in the playoffs.

You have to make big plays to go on a deep playoff run. Rushing game or passing game in the critical moments. However, your broad generalization allows for too much goalpost movements in your argument. You cannot say that the run game was strong just because it scores 6 TDs in a game-because context can matter quite a bit. If the passing game generated 500+ yardage and set up the run game for short TD runs-it might mean that the opposing defense was exhausted and the run game just efficient.

Not trying to do straight comparisons or that it’s normal, but KC had poor rushing against the Texans and Titans before a better showing against SF in the 2019 Super Bowl. Cincinnati’s deep playoff run in 2021 came with poor to atrocious rushing attack (including in the SB). I remember both of those deep playoff runs and game flow rushing had little to do with the majority of their big wins on offense. Repeated critical throws (and some extremely difficult) delivered their best offensive series. Again, the current QB is not like those QBs and should not be expected to perform like them. Just stating that some teams do not rely much on their run game to accomplish deep playoff runs and victories (sometimes several games in a row).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You have to make big plays to go on a deep playoff run. Rushing game or passing game in the critical moments. However, your broad generalization allows for too much goalpost movements in your argument. You cannot say that the run game was strong just because it scores 6 TDs in a game-because context can matter quite a bit. If the passing game generated 500+ yardage and set up the run game for short TD runs-it might mean that the opposing defense was exhausted and the run game just efficient.

Not trying to do straight comparisons or that it’s normal, but KC had poor rushing against the Texans and Titans before a better showing against SF in the 2019 Super Bowl. Cincinnati’s deep playoff run in 2021 came with poor to atrocious rushing attack (including in the SB). I remember both of those deep playoff runs and game flow rushing had little to do with the majority of their big wins on offense. Repeated critical throws (and some extremely difficult) delivered their best offensive series. Again, the current QB is not like those QBs and should not be expected to perform like them. Just stating that some teams do not rely much on their run game to accomplish deep playoff runs and victories (sometimes several games in a row).
We can agree to disagree. I’m old school football. The trenches control the game. Being able to run the ball down the opponents throat no matter who it is, is an awesome thing as it gets in the defense‘s head. It tires them out. It demoralizes them and their whole team. But you have to be able to prevent the opponent from doing the same thing to you. It’s football basics which is why it’s so disturbing to see so many here not know that.

Blitzen

Reaction score
We can agree to disagree. I’m old school football. The trenches control the game. Being able to run the ball down the opponents throat no matter who it is, is an awesome thing as it gets in the defense‘s head. It tires them out. It demoralizes them and their whole team. But you have to be able to prevent the opponent from doing the same thing to you. It’s football basics which is why it’s so disturbing to see so many here not know that.

You’ll get no argument from me on how a dominant rushing game and run defense helps a team. I just think the game has changed so much with the rule changes, that a dominant passing attack can take over games (including playoff games). I enjoy watching great blocking to set a running back loose into the secondary though just as much as a long passing bomb.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You’ll get no argument from me on how a dominant rushing game and run defense helps a team. I just think the game has changed so much with the rule changes, that a dominant passing attack can take over games (including playoff games). I enjoy watching great blocking to set a running back loose into the secondary though just as much as a long passing bomb.
How come this thread ,on Dak's contract, has been deflected into a discussion on both sides of the run game? If we look at the reasons why we're where we are now, it's all about the GB game. Up to that point, EVERYTHING, was pretty much on course for a seamless Dak extension (and maybe even adding a couple of pieces that pushed us to Championship/SB).

The reason that the GB game is so pivotal, in where we are now, is the that the (SF) old tropes, about BOTH SIDES OF THE RUN GAME, were added to in the GB game and it dawned on Jerry that we are not a couple of pieces away.....AND THAT IS WHY HE's baulking at extending Dak, because he doesnt think he (or even a professional GM), could work the numbers (of building a team), if Dak gets the same length (and NTC) of contract as he did in 2021.

Blitzen

Reaction score
How come this thread ,on Dak's contract, has been deflected into a discussion on both sides of the run game? If we look at the reasons why we're where we are now, it's all about the GB game. Up to that point, EVERYTHING, was pretty much on course for a seamless Dak extension (and maybe even adding a couple of pieces that pushed us to Championship/SB).

The reason that the GB game is so pivotal, in where we are now, is the that the (SF) old tropes, about BOTH SIDES OF THE RUN GAME, were added to in the GB game and it dawned on Jerry that we are not a couple of pieces away.....AND THAT IS WHY HE's baulking at extending Dak, because he doesnt think he (or even a professional GM), could work the numbers (of building a team), if Dak gets the same length (and NTC) of contract as he did in 2021.

The other poster feels that the main reason the team has struggled in the postseason is the lack of a dominant running game and passing game. I feel Dak shares a larger portion of blame than he does and that’s why I support the team moving on from him after the season.

We won’t know anything unless a statement from Dak or the team comes out about stopping negotiations or the start of the regular season games begin with/without a new contract. Not much else to do but wait to see if an extension is completed before the actual games begin.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The other poster feels that the main reason the team has struggled in the postseason is the lack of a dominant running game and passing game. I feel Dak shares a larger portion of blame than he does and that’s why I support the team moving on from him after the season.

We won’t know anything unless a statement from Dak or the team comes out about stopping negotiations or the start of the regular season games begin with/without a new contract. Not much else to do but wait to see if an extension is completed before the actual games begin.
I agree with your position. Just saying that it's a somewhat lazy argument (not by yourself) that the problem is both sides of the run game (though neither are perfect).
The GB game was lost in the first half, and was down more to the secondary and Dak's pick 6 and giving GB a short field (19 yards?).
Indeed following on going down 14-0, our first drive depended upon 5 yard per of rushing.....and then, as is usual we abandon the run (and Dak tries, and fails....to be something he's not suited).
I just think there are too many holes for us to provide the all round roster that Dak needs.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I agree with your position. Just saying that it's a somewhat lazy argument (not by yourself) that the problem is both sides of the run game (though neither are perfect).
The GB game was lost in the first half, and was down more to the secondary and Dak's pick 6 and giving GB a short field (19 yards?).
Indeed following on going down 14-0, our first drive depended upon 5 yard per of rushing.....and then, as is usual we abandon the run (and Dak tries, and fails....to be something he's not suited).
I just think there are too many holes for us to provide the all round roster that Dak needs.

Also, I realized on my post I said the other poster blames the running game and passing game. He blames the running game defense and offense. There were lots of players guilty of poor play in that game. Dak was not sharp or good that game-which I figured would be enough to at least give the Jones’ pause on an extension. Wait and see.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
CD will not hit free agency. He will be tagged. Paying the average of the top 5, is still better than making him the highest paid.

Like I explained. They are dragging it out to delay paying CD and Micah.
I disagree that is better. You are just delaying the inevitable and increasing the price you’ll have to pay eventually. And even in the short term the first year cap hit of a new contract would be much less than the franchise tag.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I disagree that is better. You are just delaying the inevitable and increasing the price you’ll have to pay eventually. And even in the short term the first year cap hit of a new contract would be much less than the franchise tag.
I did not saying it is better. It is what GM Jethro is doing.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but it appears Dak has stronger support outside of Cowboy Nations. It is rare for a team to allow its franchise QB's contract to reach its final year........, especially w/o a trade and/or franchise tag options. Unless they are preparing to move on.......

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/dallas...dvice-jerry-jones-negotiations-contract-bleep

Dak Prescott Advice: Tell Cowboys 'Bleep You!' - Terry Bradshaw on Contract Talks​

Dak Prescott Advice: Tell Dallas Cowboys 'Bleep You!' - Terry Bradshaw on Contract Talks

Honestly man seeing him come out with Jerry in the schedule release I think it’s all good, they don’t make their **** as public as they want so they grab and take what they can and make it a big deal. Jerry and Stephen were all at his event.