Terry Bradshaw's nugget on Dak's contract negotiation

Chasing6

Reaction score
:clap:It's hard to imagine what they are trying to accomplish waiting. Now in their defense, it could very well be they have already made their drop-dead offer and Dak is refusing to accept. We have no way of knowing if it's a competitive offer, but I guess they would leak it if was.
It is a delay tactic to get CD to play on his 5th year.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
The problem with this is we don't truly know how much Dak wants. The closest we heard is an interview recently where he admitted he was not necessarily looking to be the highest-paid player. He then said well maybe with a grin and that he had bet on himself before. We know Burrow is the highest paid at $55M. So I think it is reasonable to assume his ceiling is $53-56M, which is more than Jerry is willing to pay.

I am inclined to think Jerry and Steven are trying to pay him well below the market value, somewhere in the ballpark of $44 million to $48 million. If this is the case, I would tell him to just cut off negotiations and play for another team, even if it's for the same or a lower amount, just to stick it to the Joneses. You don't treat your franchise QB this way. If I were Jerry, I wouldn't go past $55 million a year. The guaranteed money and the length of the contract are probably the holdup.

However, I have a sneaky feeling they do not plan on signing Dak regardless. If so, they need to be honorable and tell him that upfront. If I were Dak, I would lay down an ultimatum to the front office: "If I do not have a new contract by October 15, I am no longer interested in contract negotiations and will be leaving in free agency. Please do not contact me anymore about contract offers; I am no longer interested

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry created the cap hit and the $40M owed next year. Not Dak's problem.
It should have been worse. They should have pushed more into future years that they knew would be problematic for a better shot to win during the last few.

Instead we now have sort of severe cap problems in exchange for a sort of decent shot to win over that time.

Probably the result of several opinions at the GM position. SMH yet again.

cmoney23

Reaction score
He can "bleep" off and see if another team wants him for top QB money after this season.
Dude, if/when Dak it's the open market... he will reset the market for QB pay. This isn't an opinion, this is fact.

A true free agent QB in the prime of their career that is capable of MVP caliber play and consistent regular season success.

Pittsburg, Seattle, Las Vegas, New York G and J, Saints, Dolphins possibly... and the Dallas Cowboys.

He will reset the market. Only thing that can hold that back is injury but even then, he will still get paid big money.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It should have been worse. They should have pushed more into future years that they knew would be problematic for a better shot to win during the last few.

Instead we now have sort of severe cap problems in exchange for a sort of decent shot to win over that time.

Probably the result of several opinions at the GM position. SMH yet again.
Well when you look at Dak's current cap and you look at our dead cap over the years, it does not appear that the money was well invested.

We obviously were wrong with moving on from Cooper and extending Gallup. We should have traded Zeke instead of extending him.

Those 2 decisions have haunted us in my opinion.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
e, I would tell him to just cut off negotiations and play for another team, even if it's for the same or a lower amount, just to stick it to the Joneses. You don't treat your franchise QB this way
This is exactly what Cousins did to the Commanders after they tagged him twice. They couldn't afford to tag him a 3rd time to avoid losing via free agency. He refused to talk to them once he became a free agent.......even after they were willing to pay more than his best offer.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You didn’t prove anything dude.

I gave evidence of team offenses producing points/yardage and playoff wins with similar or worse rushing production than Dallas just the past postseason. That is proof unless you can provide evidence that refutes my claims on these examples. I’ve already conceded that a strong run game is extremely beneficial and makes an offense more balanced and consistent.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is exactly what Cousins did to the Commanders after they tagged him twice. They couldn't afford to tag him a 3rd time to avoid losing via free agency. He refused to talk to them once he became a free agent.......even after they were willing to pay more than his best offer.
Why would anyone want to stay with the Commanders?

plasticman

Reaction score
You do realize the Cowboys have the biggest fan base correct. Pretty sure Cowboys fans vote for Cowboys players to make the Pro Bowl.
Which is equal to one third the total voting power. The players themselves count a third and the coaches are the other third.

So two thirds of the voting a combination of everyone they play with and against as well as the guys whose job it is of stopping them.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Which is equal to one third the total voting power. The players themselves count a third and the coaches are the other third.

So two thirds of the voting a combination of everyone they play with and against as well as the guys whose job it is of stopping them.
Advantage still goes to the Cowboys. Plus all the prime time games.

Pretty sure coaches and players support their teammates as well.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I think Dak will be back. I think this will end up like the Amari Cooper free agency. They will let Dak test the market and then whatever number he hears the Cowboys will give him a bit less and say that the tax benefits and Cowboys cache will make up the difference.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I gave evidence of team offenses producing points/yardage and playoff wins with similar or worse rushing production than Dallas just the past postseason. That is proof unless you can provide evidence that refutes my claims on these examples. I’ve already conceded that a strong run game is extremely beneficial and makes an offense more balanced and consistent.
Dude, watch the games. When the Cowboys had to run the ball they couldn’t. And when they had to run the ball, it was in the playoffs. Anyone making excuses for a poor running game must like Jerry as a GM. And it’s not that they couldn’t run the ball, the defense couldn’t stop the run. They were like a wet paper bag with their safeties er linebackers. But then there’s posters like you who naively blame 1 person out of 54 plus all the coaches and FO. Do you haters realize how bad that looks for you?

Flamma

Reaction score
Jerry created the cap hit and the $40M owed next year. Not Dak's problem.
This is true. But Jerry is making it his problem since it doesn't look like Dak is getting any guaranteed money this year.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Dude, watch the games. When the Cowboys had to run the ball they couldn’t. And when they had to run the ball, it was in the playoffs. Anyone making excuses for a poor running game must like Jerry as a GM. And it’s not that they couldn’t run the ball, the defense couldn’t stop the run. They were like a wet paper bag with their safeties er linebackers. But then there’s posters like you who naively blame 1 person out of 54 plus all the coaches and FO. Do you haters realize how bad that looks for you?

Careful with the goalposts there. He who must not be named was not on those other squads, and my focus was a comparative analysis of team offenses with regards to the rushing attack.

If your main concern is he who must not be named avoiding sole blame then you have no beef with me, nor the enormous bulk of his detractors. You conflate fans that are wishing to move on from Dak with blaming Dak for all the Cowboy’s troubles. He gets lots of attacks because of his position and media exposure. That will happen with any QB of this team not advancing deep in the postseason ever in the span of almost a decade.

I think the rushing defense was absolutely disgustingly bad. Though I think a bunch of it was due to poor roster management and linebacker play. That was not your original statement though-you blamed poor rushing offense and defense on the Cowboys’ woes. I’m not trying to say that a rushing offense like the Cowboys had is ideal. I was making the point that the rushing offense was similar to some other teams in the postseason that were able to scrape enough with the passing offense to offset the poor rushing attack.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is true. But Jerry is making it his problem since it doesn't look like Dak is getting any guaranteed money this year.
I don't see it that way. Dak is guaranteed $29M this year unless Jerry cuts him.(not going to happen).

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see it that way. Dak is guaranteed $29M this year unless Jerry cuts him.(not going to happen).
Future guarantees. QBs don't like playing without future guarantees. No player does. That's why they hate being tagged.