Texans Interested in McClay?

mardwin

Reaction score
It will be just a matter of time before he takes a GM job outside the Cowboys. The Texans would be an appealing proposition since they have a pretty good core and just need a few more tweaks.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure because they passed the Cowboys like they were standing still.

Many "don't like" admitting that.

You have to love the "they were never getting Wentz so it's okay that they missed out on a franchise QB" defense.

Hey...it's cool, guys. They were never going to do it.

Well that makes it all better.

Picked 4th, btw. Not 5th. Surprised he didn't know that.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who arrogantly laughed at me when I mocked Travis Frederick to the late 1st round in January that year. His draft expertise told him he was a mid round pick at best. Wasn't even the best center.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Dallas picked 5th and were never getting Wentz.
Philly jumped all the way to 2 for a reason and paid a crazy price for it.
If his ACL is serious they may be set back for years because they lost a lot of picks and just blew cap cash on old dudes.

I don't like the Philly roster mgmt at all.

Look how many of their guys are already under contract though. All the guys making he most money contribute the most to the team.

We have Dez and Witten clogging cap space with almost 0 reward for it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know...it is terrible that at least one person in the FO would get any kind of praise from fans who have nothing left but hope.

Lordy be...we can't have the hope so we got to belittle everything and try to block out any ray of sunshine that might be some form of hope on a fan forum.

I know. It is terrible to read honest evaluations of a failed front office after yet another failed season. We need to create false hope to appease our sensitivities.

Anytime you want to evaluate Will McClay and his years here, I'm game. He is vastly overrated.

visionary

Reaction score
McClay is so desired because Dallas has drafted well and unlike goofball fans who think Jerry drafts, other teams know it is actually McClay.

Jerry gets to go to press conferences all excited about drafting player X,Y,Z where he cant even pronounce the kids names right. LOL.
If McClay was really being overrun he'd have left by now.
He gets his board.
Dallas sticks to it unless the Coaches wanna pass on a guy like Rod has done with Sharif Floyd and others. --BTW When the butthurt emo self-proclaimed GM geniuses want to throw Rod under the bus because the team went with the much larger Taco Charlton over TJ Watt don't let them off the hook for the same crying when Floyd was passed over and Dallas added draft picks plus All Pro center Travis Frederick instead.

Yes that 2015 NFL draft is a murderers row of HOF talent

Byron jones
Randy Gregory
Chaz green
Damien Wilson
Ryan Russell
Mark Nzeocha
Laurence Gibson
Geoff Swaim

Thx for playing

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I know...it is terrible that at least one person in the FO would get any kind of praise from fans who have nothing left but hope.

Lordy be...we can't have the hope so we got to belittle everything and try to block out any ray of sunshine that might be some form of hope on a fan forum.
Thank you.

robjay04

Reaction score
Maybe McClay can go to Houston and we take the Eagles' guy.
Look what he has done in a few years after the debacle Chip put them in. I mean, look what he got for Foles and Bradford.
Look at their talent on D.

But of course a team needs coaches to coach them.

The defensive talent has been there for years.

He did a decent job getting some value for Murray and Bradford(Kelly traded Foles).

The “debacle” Kelly left them with was mainly related to some bloated contracts handed out...not actual talent. The team had an OL and plenty of defensive talent...pretty easy to build when you have all pro caliber players in those positions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to love the "they were never getting Wentz so it's okay that they missed out on a franchise QB" defense.

Hey...it's cool, guys. They were never going to do it.

Well that makes it all better.

Picked 4th, btw. Not 5th. Surprised he didn't know that.

And honestly, step back and take a good look. Even beyond the "never getting Wentz" nonsense. What pushed us even further away from getting him? Oh, that's right, a meaningless "win one for the Clapper!" Victory against the Commanders. When we had to "fight" and "never quit". Remember that field goal fest? Set NFL football back decades. More good times with Garrett.

And then, if not for Elway being even dumber, our "GM" would have given up the farm for the right to draft Paxton Lynch, the guy the Broncos have already given up on and who couldn't beat out either Simien or Brock frickin Osweiler.

Plan C? Connor Cook. Now relegated to third string in Oakland behind EJ Manuel. With the Raiders "much more confident" about things now.

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-r...-in-backup-QB-situation-this-season-108412976

Left to their own devices, this team would be royally screwed, even worse than they already are.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who arrogantly laughed at me when I mocked Travis Frederick to the late 1st round in January that year. His draft expertise told him he was a mid round pick at best. Wasn't even the best center.

I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned when he was scolding everyone with his "emo", "butthurt" diatribe. Must have slipped his mind...

Cowboys22

Reaction score
People forget that he would have to want the job. If he wants out and wants a real GM job, then I wish him the best. If he does want out, it's a good indication of total disfunction in the front office.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know. It is terrible to read honest evaluations of a failed front office after yet another failed season. We need to create false hope to appease our sensitivities.

Anytime you want to evaluate Will McClay and his years here, I'm game. He is vastly overrated.

And he is also UNDERrated by a few here.

He is neither great nor terrible but any ray of sunshine and a couple of you have to poo poo all over it.

But because the front office is so out of Whack With Jerry and his many titles...Will McClay has to do more with less and people around here that are..Fans of the team, respect him for it.

He is working with JJ as the be all end all up top.
He has the Ginger as the Coach who sits in the draft room looking like a animatronic doll while everyone else is talking about the possible pick. Hell during the draft he seems more engaged with Jerry's Daughter than the actual draft.
You got some scouts that were ranking players a certain way while coaches come in and change it or JJ and crew change it because they have special interest in this player or that instead of just following the board.
He has to deal with Stephen Jones who is the polar opposite of his daddy and is afraid to open the purse strings to bring in a pay a decent FA.

And despite all of that...McClay still does his job and seems to do it about as well as anyone could being surrounded by a bunch of morons and despite what you and a few other self absorbed negative nancies think...he is also respected by other teams as other teams have inquired about him as well.

So maybe a few on here over rate him on a FAN FORUM of the team of all places...stop the presses.

Get over yourself.

Sydla

Reaction score
The defensive talent has been there for years.

He did a decent job getting some value for Murray and Bradford(Kelly traded Foles).

The “debacle” Kelly left them with was mainly related to some bloated contracts handed out...not actual talent. The team had an OL and plenty of defensive talent...pretty easy to build when you have all pro caliber players in those positions.

You undersell the job they did.

Remember, Kelly pretty much pilfered the offense of their best skill talent - he dumped Jackson and McCoy.

Their GM also went out this past offseason and landed a guy like Jernigan, who is a stud DT for them, by simply swapping third round picks. He was able to dump bad contracts/players Kelly brought in like Maxwell for real value that helped them land Wentz. Remember, the only reason they were even in a position to land Wentz was because they had moved into the Top Ten by trading with Miami who took Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell to allow Philly to move up.

What that front office has done in 2 seasons since Kelly left is remarkable.

The Natural

Reaction score
Disagree.
Dallas got McClay started in this business and he is the one guy who has essentially become a part of the family.
He's broken through the glass ceiling and is actually the GM.
This is a guy who was at one time a coach of the Arena League team and now he is setting the board for the Dallas Cowboys.
He doesnt have the title but....
The Cowboys’ structure, however, gives McClay a level of autonomy others in his role don’t typically have across the league. He sets up the draft board. He can set up his scouting staff. He has a large say in free agency during the offseason as well as in-season.

I'd kill to be in his shoes.

And we all know that as soon as Jerry passes, McClay will be named GM and Stephen will be Team President/CEO.

I just hope McClay doesn't get tired of waiting for the actual title but he's got kids here and a fat paycheck that should continue to grow.
He's been as good as any GM anywhere.

Why wait when he can have it now elsewhere?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Look how many of their guys are already under contract though. All the guys making he most money contribute the most to the team.

We have Dez and Witten clogging cap space with almost 0 reward for it.

Dez is essentially under contract for 1 more year. The out would cost 4m but it was built in and thus why he will likely be restructured or cut.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dez-bryant-6533/
It was a bad contract but Dez at the time averaged numbers no one in Philly has since Terrell Owens.
Big contracts look terrible in the long run about 90% of the time.

Jason Witten actually has a salary that DROPS each year and he is only the 8th highest cap hit on this team.
He goes from a 7.4m base last year to a 5.7m this year and that base keeps falling yearly.
His deal isn't bad. We just need a speed threat at TE to at least supplement him.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-witten-2461/

Even with Dez and Witten, Dallas is one of the youngest teams in the NFL.
Philly is one of the oldest.

Philly signed Alshon Jeffrey to a deal worth 13m per season and didn't extend Agholor?
They have Fletcher Cox making 20m a year and just gave Jernigan 13m a year but Brandon Graham is on his last year.

Foles and Wentz make 15m between them. Foles actually makes slightly more than Wentz....
Zack Ertz is a solid TE but he makes 3m more than Jason Witten in 2018.

The Eagles are 7m over the estimated 2018 cap.
Dallas is 18.7m UNDER the cap.

Philly currently has pick 31 and doesn't pick again until the very end of round 4.
Dallas had 6 picks in that top 4 rounds.

So Dallas has 25m more cap room and 3-4 quality draft picks advantage.
Philly has an awesome QB with an ACL tear....
Who'd you rather have be your GM again?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You undersell the job they did.

Remember, Kelly pretty much pilfered the offense of their best skill talent - he dumped Jackson and McCoy.

Their GM also went out this past offseason and landed a guy like Jernigan, who is a stud DT for them, by simply swapping third round picks. He was able to dump bad contracts/players Kelly brought in like Maxwell for real value that helped them land Wentz. Remember, the only reason they were even in a position to land Wentz was because they had moved into the Top Ten by trading with Miami who took Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell to allow Philly to move up.

What that front office has done in 2 seasons since Kelly left is remarkable.
Nonsense.
The GM and staff were there WITH Kelly.

They have used all their draft picks and cap space IN ADVANCE.
Jernigan was a 3rd and they have no 2nd or 3rd at all now. They paid him 13m a year which is why he was cheap in trade.
They have one draft pick in the top 120.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
McClay is so desired because Dallas has drafted well and unlike goofball fans who think Jerry drafts, other teams know it is actually McClay.

Jerry gets to go to press conferences all excited about drafting player X,Y,Z where he cant even pronounce the kids names right. LOL.
If McClay was really being overrun he'd have left by now.
He gets his board.
Dallas sticks to it unless the Coaches wanna pass on a guy like Rod has done with Sharif Floyd and others. --BTW When the butthurt emo self-proclaimed GM geniuses want to throw Rod under the bus because the team went with the much larger Taco Charlton over TJ Watt don't let them off the hook for the same crying when Floyd was passed over and Dallas added draft picks plus All Pro center Travis Frederick instead.
:hammer:

Proof

Reaction score
They didn't pay as much as you think because their GM was able to grab other picks elsewhere, including getting a #1 back for Bradford.

What cap space did they blow on old dudes?

They took a team that was in the dumps both in terms of talent (trading away guys like McCoy) and cap space (overpaying for guys like Murray) under Chip Kelly and within two seasons, they had the #1 seed in the NFC.

We are in Year 7 and apparently based on your long dissertation yesterday, we are really getting close to a SB ready roster. Only took almost three times the time it took Philly.

LOL.

just two years ago we lost our franchise qb for the year*, had the reigning offensive player stolen away with no replacement plan and went 4-12 and looked dead in the water. very next year we were the number one seed in the nfc as well. roseman throws so much sh at the wall (remember the dream team? ) it finally paid off. for a season. one that will end in the next week or so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez is essentially under contract for 1 more year. The out would cost 4m but it was built in and thus why he will likely be restructured or cut.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dez-bryant-6533/
It was a bad contract but Dez at the time averaged numbers no one in Philly has since Terrell Owens.
Big contracts look terrible in the long run about 90% of the time.

Jason Witten actually has a salary that DROPS each year and he is only the 8th highest cap hit on this team.
He goes from a 7.4m base last year to a 5.7m this year and that base keeps falling yearly.
His deal isn't bad. We just need a speed threat at TE to at least supplement him.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-witten-2461/

Even with Dez and Witten, Dallas is one of the youngest teams in the NFL.
Philly is one of the oldest.

Philly signed Alshon Jeffrey to a deal worth 13m per season and didn't extend Agholor?
They have Fletcher Cox making 20m a year and just gave Jernigan 13m a year but Brandon Graham is on his last year.

Foles and Wentz make 15m between them. Foles actually makes slightly more than Wentz....
Zack Ertz is a solid TE but he makes 3m more than Jason Witten in 2018.

The Eagles are 7m over the estimated 2018 cap.
Dallas is 18.7m UNDER the cap.

Philly currently has pick 31 and doesn't pick again until the very end of round 4.
Dallas had 6 picks in that top 4 rounds.

So Dallas has 25m more cap room and 3-4 quality draft picks advantage.
Philly has an awesome QB with an ACL tear....
Who'd you rather have be your GM again?

The team that's the #1 seed in the playoffs For $1,000 Alex.

visionary

Reaction score
And honestly, step back and take a good look. Even beyond the "never getting Wentz" nonsense. What pushed us even further away from getting him? Oh, that's right, a meaningless "win one for the Clapper!" Victory against the Commanders. When we had to "fight" and "never quit". Remember that field goal fest? Set NFL football back decades. More good times with Garrett.

And then, if not for Elway being even dumber, our "GM" would have given up the farm for the right to draft Paxton Lynch, the guy the Broncos have already given up on and who couldn't beat out either Simien or Brock frickin Osweiler.

Plan C? Connor Cook. Now relegated to third string in Oakland behind EJ Manuel. With the Raiders "much more confident" about things now.

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-r...-in-backup-QB-situation-this-season-108412976

Left to their own devices, this team would be royally screwed, even worse than they already are.

I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned when he was scolding everyone with his "emo", "butthurt" diatribe. Must have slipped his mind...

Ok if you're going to bring up inconvenient facts into the discussion like who the Cowboys actually wanted to draft then that's just not fair

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It is really hard to tell with McClay, because we don't actually know what are his moves and what aren't. I wasn't actually sure when he came aboard so I went to the Cowboys team page to see. I went to the "Coaches & Executives" page and it was weird, because McClay is listed nowhere on that page. It has all the coaches, and all the Jones family...but no McClay.

His job description is that he basically is a unifier within the organization, working to get everyone on the same page, from Jerry all the way down to each scout. He supposedly is a non stop machine of reviewing players, searching for fits for the Cowboys. His biggest activities seem related to free agent acquisitions but he apparently has some say in the draft as well. The problem is when evaluating him you don't necessarily know when he deserves blame or praise.

I think the first draft he was involved in here was the 2014 one, which was pretty decent at the top with Martin, Lawrence and Hitchens. Not much after that with only Terrence Mitchell playing still as far as I can see. THe 2015 draft has pretty much turned into a stinker. Byron Jones has not made the switch from athlete to football player and likely is in his last year with the team in 2018 unless something changes. Randy Gregory, well, let's just say whoever believed he could put the weed down got played. Chaz Green looks like he will be out of the league soon, and Damien Wilson is mediocre to average at best. Swaim has hung on and I guess for a 7th rounder has been ok, but overall this draft is not so hot. I would say one more year to evaluate 2016 but so far so good. The Jaylon Smith risk probably wasn't his doing. Same with evaluating the last draft, but initial signs look pretty promising.

If free agency is McClay's baby, then it is hard to see what the hype around him is for. He initially was involved in researching pro personnel around the league and an article I found said his best additions he brought in include Laurent Robinson, Tony Fiammetta, Ernie Sims, George Selvie, Nick Hayden and Rolando McClain. I'd go 50-50 on that group as being positive, with Robinson, Selvie and McClain being good additions. Our offseason free agent acquisitions, mainly lately, have been awful. Nolan Carroll, Cedric Thornton, Stephen Paea, Robert Blanton, Damontre Moore, Jonathan Cooper, Byron Bell, Joe Looney, Benson Mayowa, Alfred Morris, Darren McFadden, Andrew Gachkar, Greg Hardy and Corey White are probably the best known. Of these, the only ones worth a dang while here are Cooper, Morris, McFadden and maybe Hardy. Not exactly a record to be exceedingly proud of. The one thing to consider is that these have all been "value" picks for the most part, guys that for one reason or another where cheaper than they might have been if not for certain issues.

So, trying to determine just exactly how important McClay is really isn't very easy. The Cowboys organization makes it hard to put the blame, or praise, on just one person.