Texans Interested in McClay?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had Romo on the roster at that time. It's a bit revisionist to not consider that at this point.

Except I was saying it before it happened.

Having Romo on the roster shouldn't have mattered. He was broken down. His career was over. It requires a lick of foresight, which shouldn't be unreasonable to ask of an NFL GM.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Having Romo on the roster shouldn't have mattered. He was broken down. His career was over. It requires a lick of foresight, which shouldn't be unreasonable to ask of an NFL GM.

While this is true but the is fact it DID matter. Jerry AND Romo both were saying he expected at least 3 more years. No question in my mine if Romo was not the team at the time, either Goff or Wentz would a Cowboy today. Think about the message it would sent to Romo if they'd traded up and taken a QB 2nd overall. You don't spend that kind of resources for a play to ride the bench coz every he does is an evaluation year lost before his big contract.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While this is true but the is fact it DID matter. Jerry AND Romo both were saying he expected at least 3 more years. No question in my mine if Romo was not the team at the time, either Goff or Wentz would a Cowboy today. Think about the message it would sent to Romo if they'd traded up and taken a QB 2nd overall. You don't spend that kind of resources for a play to ride the bench coz every he does is an evaluation year lost before his big contract.

I understand their faulty thinking. I'm saying that doesn't make what they did right. Only a completely incompetent GM lets a franchise QB go because of a broken down veteran on his last legs.

And now we pay for it. You might have noticed the 2017 season.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if that's just a "keeping the seat warm" deal in Houston?

I highly doubt! You think we are bad about JG...they’ve wanted Smith gone for years

Sydla

Reaction score

Green Bay with Favre and Rodgers

Indy moved on from Manning for Luck. Granted it hasn't worked out as Luck has been shredded with injuries.

Even NE with Jimmy G, although it appears Brady and Kraft forced Belicheck to dump him (which by the way, I would have thrown our 2nd rounder and even a 3rd or 4th to get him in Dallas).

I like Dak more than you do but there is no question the Cowboys botched the 2016 draft when they had a realistic shot at grabbing Wentz.

Pants

Reaction score
McClay is the only person in the draft room with any common sense...Garrett is too busy flirting with Charlotte to even know that a draft is happening....how many departures do their need to be before Drunk ol' Jones realizes that he is the problem

let's see if I have this correct:

Gone: Dooley
Rumored to be leaving in one way or the other: Brown, Wilson, Marinelli, Eberflus (and I thought I read something about a DB coach)

but, thank the LORD that we still have Garrett and Linehan....

when will this horrible nightmare end??? I thought my kidney stones on new years eve were painful, but the freakshow called the Dallas Cowboys Front Office is way worse.....

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I understand their faulty thinking. I'm saying that doesn't make what they did right. Only a completely incompetent GM lets a franchise QB go because of a broken down veteran on his last legs.

And now we pay for it. You might have noticed the 2017 season.

It was tough to call either way.....it's probably fair to say sentiment and emotions got in the way of sound thinking. Especially when you consider Romo was coming off a 2015 year where he only played 2-3 games.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was tough to call either way.....it's probably fair to say sentiment and emotions got in the way of sound thinking. Especially when you consider Romo was coming off a 2015 year where he only played 2-3 games.

It wasn't tough to call. You needed a new QB. A great one was there available. You said no because you were in a fantasy land where the old one would just keep playing at a high level.

Not tough to call at all. Just tough to admit.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
McClay is the only person in the draft room with any common sense...Garrett is too busy flirting with Charlotte to even know that a draft is happening....how many departures do their need to be before Drunk ol' Jones realizes that he is the problem

let's see if I have this correct:

Gone: Dooley
Rumored to be leaving in one way or the other: Brown, Wilson, Marinelli, Eberflus (and I thought I read something about a DB coach)

but, thank the LORD that we still have Garrett and Linehan....

when will this horrible nightmare end??? I thought my kidney stones on new years eve were painful, but the freakshow called the Dallas Cowboys Front Office is way worse.....

To me that will mcclay right now is in a Position where he is essentially the GM is all the work of Garrett. He has the ability to handle jj and convince people to do the right moves.

That we now have had great drafts for 5 years and the first time in years dont have ti worry about our salary cap situation is also his work. Because he knows how to build something with a foundation. The years without him were determined by the way JJ handled things. And he doesnt know how to build things fundamentally. He is a risk taker and knows how to speculate. He haf alot of luck in the oil business. But he lacks intelligence to build something that demands a good foundation.

Like romo said garrett is not an x and o guy. He is an organisator. He brings ins the right people who then know about the x and os. And to me thats the main job of an hc.

He flirts on draft day ? Who cares when he already dis his work before that day. And he did. He got the right people here who know how to handle the draft. That is his main job. His work ended on draft day. Other started that day. And when i look at our draft they did a pretty damn good job. So garrett did too.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We actually picked 4th ;)
Sorry, yes that is correct.
What I was trying to get across too quickly was it was a 5 player draft.
Dallas was never moving up.
Goff/Wentz/Bosa/Ramsay and of course Zeke were all seen as outliers. 3 blue chips and 2 potential franchise QBs.
I do believe Dallas would have taken Wentz at 4 just because he is a QB but they were gonna take one of those 5 guys and be happy.
Any player they chose would have been great here.
So no need to trade up.

And in getting Dak where they did he saved them 7m per year and he's gone 22-10 and has the same amount to playoff games as the other 2 guys combined, 1.
With Wentz now hurt it is just another example of why you don't go push too much in the pot for one player.

The Eagles gave up the No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.
Had they made this trade then looked to recoup picks or ride it out that wouldn't have been so bad but they made even more trades depleting this draft.
This year they have only one pick in the top 120. It's gonna be 30 or so.
Next year they are again without a 2nd rounder which likely means only 1 pick in top 75.
That's a tremendous amount of young players who aren't there to help the cap situation.
And the Eagles are already 7m over the cap for next year.

Anyone taking an honest look at this was say, holy crap that's poor roster management.
They are gonna find a way to land a franchise QB and derail it all anyway.