Texans Interested in McClay?

kumizi

Reaction score
Dez is essentially under contract for 1 more year. The out would cost 4m but it was built in and thus why he will likely be restructured or cut.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dez-bryant-6533/
It was a bad contract but Dez at the time averaged numbers no one in Philly has since Terrell Owens.
Big contracts look terrible in the long run about 90% of the time.

Jason Witten actually has a salary that DROPS each year and he is only the 8th highest cap hit on this team.
He goes from a 7.4m base last year to a 5.7m this year and that base keeps falling yearly.
His deal isn't bad. We just need a speed threat at TE to at least supplement him.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-witten-2461/

Even with Dez and Witten, Dallas is one of the youngest teams in the NFL.
Philly is one of the oldest.

Philly signed Alshon Jeffrey to a deal worth 13m per season and didn't extend Agholor?
They have Fletcher Cox making 20m a year and just gave Jernigan 13m a year but Brandon Graham is on his last year.

Foles and Wentz make 15m between them. Foles actually makes slightly more than Wentz....
Zack Ertz is a solid TE but he makes 3m more than Jason Witten in 2018.

The Eagles are 7m over the estimated 2018 cap.
Dallas is 18.7m UNDER the cap.

Philly currently has pick 31 and doesn't pick again until the very end of round 4.
Dallas had 6 picks in that top 4 rounds.

So Dallas has 25m more cap room and 3-4 quality draft picks advantage.
Philly has an awesome QB with an ACL tear....
Who'd you rather have be your GM again?
JFC

kevm3

Reaction score
McClay is one of very few decent things in that FO. The drafts we've had have been WAY better than some of the older ones. Remember the special teams draft? We don't have a talent problem. We have a coaching problem.

erod

Reaction score
McClay is so desired because Dallas has drafted well and unlike goofball fans who think Jerry drafts, other teams know it is actually McClay.

Jerry gets to go to press conferences all excited about drafting player X,Y,Z where he cant even pronounce the kids names right. LOL.
If McClay was really being overrun he'd have left by now.
He gets his board.
Dallas sticks to it unless the Coaches wanna pass on a guy like Rod has done with Sharif Floyd and others. --BTW When the butthurt emo self-proclaimed GM geniuses want to throw Rod under the bus because the team went with the much larger Taco Charlton over TJ Watt don't let them off the hook for the same crying when Floyd was passed over and Dallas added draft picks plus All Pro center Travis Frederick instead.
Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory were Jerry decisions. He does hold the final say.

lk8701

Reaction score
You have to love the "they were never getting Wentz so it's okay that they missed out on a franchise QB" defense.

Hey...it's cool, guys. They were never going to do it.

Well that makes it all better.

Picked 4th, btw. Not 5th. Surprised he didn't know that.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who arrogantly laughed at me when I mocked Travis Frederick to the late 1st round in January that year. His draft expertise told him he was a mid round pick at best. Wasn't even the best center.

The Cowboys coached him for one week at the Senior Bowl. It felt like the Cowboys and Wentz were "engaged" and Howie Roseman stole him from the Cowboys.

jerry-n-carson-two.jpg

Gaede

Reaction score
Saddest part?

If I had to gamble on a guy from that class who will be the best in that class in 3 years? I'd pick Gregory. LOL.
I'd say Geoff Swaim.

Our 3rd string TE

visionary

Reaction score
Saddest part?

If I had to gamble on a guy from that class who will be the best in that class in 3 years? I'd pick Gregory. LOL.

No, the saddest part is that the guy making these picks is the smartest guy in the draft room

khiladi

Reaction score
McClay is so desired because Dallas has drafted well and unlike goofball fans who think Jerry drafts, other teams know it is actually McClay.

Jerry gets to go to press conferences all excited about drafting player X,Y,Z where he cant even pronounce the kids names right. LOL.
If McClay was really being overrun he'd have left by now.
He gets his board.
Dallas sticks to it unless the Coaches wanna pass on a guy like Rod has done with Sharif Floyd and others. --BTW When the butthurt emo self-proclaimed GM geniuses want to throw Rod under the bus because the team went with the much larger Taco Charlton over TJ Watt don't let them off the hook for the same crying when Floyd was passed over and Dallas added draft picks plus All Pro center Travis Frederick instead.

Jerry asked Romo about Frederick... he was also worked out by Callahan. also got his input on T Williams and Escobar, all after his new contract.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I'd rather see Garrett get canned well before McClay leaves. The former makes the latter look worse.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Only a nutjob would rather have Dallas' situation than Philadelphia's.

They have a stacked roster at nearly every position group, the best young QB in the league, and a stable of passrushers.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yep. He wanted to play here.

You guys know better......Romo was the major reason for not going after Wentz. This was still his team at the time and he was expected to play a min 3 more years. KO afraid if they spent the kind of resources required to obtain Wentz, it would threaten Romo leadership by creating an almost immediate QB controversy. Remember, Romo, FO and coaches were all on the same page of that this was still his team. This is they aggressively pursued QB in later..........

Poster IK8701 doesn't surprise me, this his trolling mojo from The Ranch, we can expect to see same crap over and over until the draft. What does surprise me is the many posters, many whom I've come to respect, felt into his trap w/o knowledging Wentz decision was all about preserving Romo leadership and not a miss/screw-up by KO.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys know better......Romo was the major reason for not going after Wentz. This was still his team at the time and he was expected to play a min 3 more years. KO afraid if they spent the kind of resources required to obtain Wentz, it would threaten Romo leadership by creating an almost immediate QB controversy. Remember, Romo, FO and coaches were all on the same page of that this was still his team. This is they aggressively pursued QB in later..........

Poster IK8701 doesn't surprise me, this his trolling mojo from The Ranch, we can expect to see same crap over and over until the draft. What does surprise me is the many posters, many whom I've come to respect, felt into his trap w/o knowledging Wentz decision was all about preserving Romo leadership and not a miss/screw-up by KO.

They tried to trade back in to the first round for Paxton Lynch.

Whatever the thinking was it was flawed. Really flawed. Not aggressively making a move for a QB in this year's draft will be another huge mistake. I can see it coming a mile away.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
because lots of people who have or currently work in the building tell us on a regular basis on radio shows and twitter.

I don't have any beef with McClay, it appears he is doing about as good a job as he can do under the circumstances.

However, don't rely on people who work in the building and have shows/twitter to get your info. Guys like Broaddus, Helman, Spags, Eatman, and the others all get their paychecks signed by Jerry. Do you really think they are an unbiased and neutral evaluator and reporter of the what goes on behind the scenes at the Star?

Put it another way, how many people openly criticize their boss to others at work? Probably not a good idea if you like your job and want to keep it

Verdict

Reaction score
You have to love the "they were never getting Wentz so it's okay that they missed out on a franchise QB" defense.

Hey...it's cool, guys. They were never going to do it.

Well that makes it all better.

Picked 4th, btw. Not 5th. Surprised he didn't know that.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who arrogantly laughed at me when I mocked Travis Frederick to the late 1st round in January that year. His draft expertise told him he was a mid round pick at best. Wasn't even the best center.

They had Romo on the roster at that time. It's a bit revisionist to not consider that at this point.