Texans Interested in McClay?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Bye he’s overrated worse director of pro player personnel in the NFL. Lost count in the number of busts he’s brought in free agency.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bye he’s overrated worse director of pro player personnel in the NFL. Lost count in the number of busts he’s brought in free agency.

I've always been curious how involved he is in FA.

Because frankly, I think the coaches have way more power there. There isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that Carroll and Paea were signed because Marinelli wanted them signed.

dcjules

Reaction score
They didn't pay as much as you think because their GM was able to grab other picks elsewhere, including getting a #1 back for Bradford.

What cap space did they blow on old dudes?

They took a team that was in the dumps both in terms of talent (trading away guys like McCoy) and cap space (overpaying for guys like Murray) under Chip Kelly and within two seasons, they had the #1 seed in the NFC.

We are in Year 7 and apparently based on your long dissertation yesterday, we are really getting close to a SB ready roster. Only took almost three times the time it took Philly.

LOL.
since it appears there are quite of few Eagle trolls here, lets just say the Eagles have been fortunate. Yes they took a huge gamble and traded up for Wentz, smart move as it appears he is a franchise QB. But he was not a given, not the highly rated prospect like Elway or Aikman!! they were fortunate....more importantly they sold a bill of goods to Miami, not once but twice...gaining picks and escaping bad contracts... very fortunate to have a patsy in south beach to rescue you....bizarre luck if you aski me!! they were very very fortunate Bridgewater blows a knee, allowing a desperate team to overpay for a QB you didn't want after lucking into getting Wentz.....Think about it, what sense did it nake to sign Bradford if you were all in on Wentz....because of the way it played out you look golden....I will give them credit, with their ability to sign FA, they hit on all of em, adding depth and solid rotation guys, again very fortunate it worked out....that is not the norm....

Eagles get credit this year, well deserved, but very fortunate...next year?? that chapter is written yet...so let's see...

BTW, while not "old" I loved the Eagles committing to Jeffery with large $$, I think he is ok, not great....but they bought in, just like buying into Ajayi, looks good now, but we'll see..... There are warts in Phila, just look !!!

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Better yet, Jerry could drop his "GM" title and have McClay take over for real and not just a title change....but we know that will never happen as long as Jerry is in the upright position.
We like our structure. It is a competitive advantage

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Yo
Disagree.
Dallas got McClay started in this business and he is the one guy who has essentially become a part of the family.
He's broken through the glass ceiling and is actually the GM.
This is a guy who was at one time a coach of the Arena League team and now he is setting the board for the Dallas Cowboys.
He doesnt have the title but....
The Cowboys’ structure, however, gives McClay a level of autonomy others in his role don’t typically have across the league. He sets up the draft board. He can set up his scouting staff. He has a large say in free agency during the offseason as well as in-season.

I'd kill to be in his shoes.

And we all know that as soon as Jerry passes, McClay will be named GM and Stephen will be Team President/CEO.

I just hope McClay doesn't get tired of waiting for the actual title but he's got kids here and a fat paycheck that should continue to grow.
He's been as good as any GM anywhere.

You think McClay picked Judd Garrett as part of his staff?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always been curious how involved he is in FA.

Because frankly, I think the coaches have way more power there. There isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that Carroll and Paea were signed because Marinelli wanted them signed.

No, there's no denying that Marinelli has had a strong voice. How many of "his guys" have passed through here, or stayed well past the date anyone thought they should?

Melton, Paea, and Nick Hayden? Oh and Joey Ivie? Who has that gif handy? @Alexander ?

They definitely need to stop listening to Marinelli about the 1-technique. It does matter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yo

Hey! That's our "advanced scout" you're talking about there! Show some respect!

How do you think we're always able to outcoach the teams we play every year?
:huh:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Disagree.
Dallas got McClay started in this business and he is the one guy who has essentially become a part of the family.
He's broken through the glass ceiling and is actually the GM.
This is a guy who was at one time a coach of the Arena League team and now he is setting the board for the Dallas Cowboys.
He doesnt have the title but....
The Cowboys’ structure, however, gives McClay a level of autonomy others in his role don’t typically have across the league. He sets up the draft board. He can set up his scouting staff. He has a large say in free agency during the offseason as well as in-season.

I'd kill to be in his shoes.

And we all know that as soon as Jerry passes, McClay will be named GM and Stephen will be Team President/CEO.

I just hope McClay doesn't get tired of waiting for the actual title but he's got kids here and a fat paycheck that should continue to grow.
He's been as good as any GM anywhere.
How can you be sure that Stephen will not be just like his Dad? I used to think things would be drastically different once Jerry was no longer around. But Stephen has shown signs of someone who will be just as enamored with himself as his father has been. As a matter of fact...I strongly believe Stephen will carry on the tradition of naming himself the GM. Think about it....what other NFL team has multiple executives with their own radio show? Heck what other team has ONE front office employee with there own radio show?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No, there's no denying that Marinelli has had a strong voice. How many of "his guys" have passed through here, or stayed well past the date anyone thought they should?

Melton, Paea, and Nick Hayden? Oh and Joey Ivie? Who has that gif handy? @Alexander ?
ORIkbpl.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yo

Yes in the sense that he makes the call to keep him.
There was a Garrett here as TE Coach who was fired....
Jim Garrett was a really long time Cowboys scout and I am sure his son does a fine job.
But McClay would make the call if he felt he needed to replace Judd.

McClay is more valuable around the NFL than JG. Dallas is aware of his value and have promoted him as high as any non-Jones can go.
The only two Non-Jones to wield more power were Jimmy and BP.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think he does just doesn't have the official title.
He doesn't have the title and he won't get the credit the average fan doesn't even know who he is so he might be open to taking a real gm job where he would get the credit

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How can you be sure that Stephen will not be just like his Dad? I used to think things would be drastically different once Jerry was no longer around. But Stephen has shown signs of someone who will be just as enamored with himself as his father has been. As a matter of fact...I strongly believe Stephen will carry on the tradition of naming himself the GM. Think about it....what other NFL team has multiple executives with their own radio show? Heck what other team has ONE front office employee with there own radio show?
He's not like his Dad now.
Stephen will take on CEO/COO and Team President. He's gonna handle the money.
Charlotte will handle marketing and business relations.
There's a lot of other Jones' not allowed to touch the team.
McClay will be GM and top personnel guy which he essentially is now.

All these teams aren't trying to poach him because he has no personnel experience or acumen.
They know he's doing the work here.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He's not like his Dad now.
Stephen will take on CEO/COO and Team President. He's gonna handle the money.
Charlotte will handle marketing and business relations.
There's a lot of other Jones' not allowed to touch the team.
McClay will be GM and top personnel guy which he essentially is now.

All these teams aren't trying to poach him because he has no personnel experience or acumen.
They know he's doing the work here.

Who are all these other teams?

MarkP88

Reaction score
Stephen is an incompetent buffoon who should be nowhere near the controls of an NFL team.

I have no idea how much or how little influence McClay has. There've been some good acquisitions these past few years, but plenty of stinkers, too. So I'm not even sure whether to root for him to stay or to go.

kumizi

Reaction score
Dallas picked 5th and were never getting Wentz.
Philly jumped all the way to 2 for a reason and paid a crazy price for it.
If his ACL is serious they may be set back for years because they lost a lot of picks and just blew cap cash on old dudes.

I don't like the Philly roster mgmt at all.
LMAO